Cell Phone

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ems
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Cell Phone

Post by ems » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:38 am

Cell phones are very cheap to purchase in Puerto Vallarta, these phones can be reactivated each year. I have bought mine at Telcel outlets with your first purchase they usually give you a bonus of xxx peso to start the phone off. The cost of the phone is around $25.00 again it can be used each and every time you come to PV, beats trying to find a payphone that works!

Hope this information is helpful, having peace of mind is well worth the price!

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Cell phones

Post by garyrbeck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:08 pm

I operate my friendships and biz in PV with a Nokia from WalMart purchased for $30 back about 4 years ago [100 free minutes]. All I need do is add minutes. Now any OXXO will do it for you for any amount you choose. The more minutes you buy the less it costs per. Have the cashier get into the computer and add your minutes. About a minute later a beep messages that you have added so many minutes. But please be careful as they do expire so keep an eye on how many are left if you will not be back in MX using it within 90 days. You could stand to lose tons of minutes if you are not using them while in PV or elsewhere or overbuying. I find them extremely practical and useful. Call a cell phone dialing first with 322 for PV, not just the last 7 numbers.

8)

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Gary - do you know if there is a way to add minutes on-line from Canada? We were told we would be able to do this but I haven't been able to figure this out yet. We'd like to keep our phone active so that we don't lose the number and have to re-register it every year.

Thanks!

Sherry

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by garyrbeck » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:55 pm

northmb wrote:Gary - do you know if there is a way to add minutes on-line from Canada? We were told we would be able to do this but I haven't been able to figure this out yet. We'd like to keep our phone active so that we don't lose the number and have to re-register it every year.

Thanks!

Sherry
Wow, that would be some cool info! I had not heard of that. Have you looked for a website for TelMex? This is the first I have heard there may be a possibility of adding minutes online to keep it fresh and open and not lose any minutes you have accumulatd. Please post here any info you gain.
grb 8)

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:00 pm

The guy at the Telcel store where we bought it - (Roberto - on Insurgentes) said it was possible to do this. I have managed to find a website - but of course it's in spanish and I can't read it! I work with a girl who speaks Spanish and I'll keep you posted if we figure it out. It certainly would be great if we could do this!

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 am

northmb wrote:The guy at the Telcel store where we bought it - (Roberto - on Insurgentes) said it was possible to do this. I have managed to find a website - but of course it's in spanish and I can't read it! I work with a girl who speaks Spanish and I'll keep you posted if we figure it out. It certainly would be great if we could do this!
I would be very interested in that information, too, Sherry.

tommy499
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tommy499 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:21 pm

You can recharge your Telcel phone at this link.....works great! This will allow you to keep your # active.

-http://www.prepaidwireless.com/products/international/

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Cells

Post by garyrbeck » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:24 pm

tommy499 wrote:You can recharge your Telcel phone at this link.....works great! This will allow you to keep your # active.

-http://www.prepaidwireless.com/products/international/
Moochiss GrassyAss, Tommy. Just in time for my move to PV!

8)

Lindsay331
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Cell Phones

Post by Lindsay331 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:04 am

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick note. I lived in PV for a few years and just moved back last year. The cell phone issue you guys are discussing isn't too much of an issue.

Most places, as I'm sure you all are aware sell the phones without a contract, which allows you the leisure of adding minutes when you want. You can purchase these minute cards at ANY OXXO, Farmacia, Rizzo's and so on. All you have to do is dial the number and enter the code on the minute card.

This applies to all phones that were purchased without a contract.

Hope that helps clear up some of the confusion you have. Your telephone number does not change, it should be in the box that your phone came in.

Lindsay

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Mon May 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Finally got around to dealing with this! We used prepaid wireless. com. Des did a little research and they seem like a "safe" place to deal with. I did have trouble registering on line and finally had to call their supoprt desk. The girl I dealt with was wonderful and got me set up rather quickly. I can now go on-line and add minutes. Can't test the phone (can't get a signal up here!) but it all seems to be okay! Guess we'll find out next winter!

Sherry

tommy499
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tommy499 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:47 pm

You will be fine with this. I think you have to add time every 6 months or you can lose your number. I like to do this the night before I fly in so my phone will work when I hit the ground. You don't have to get to an Oxxo to use your phone. You are overpaying for the minutes...so I buy the minimum.

Tom

wathsala
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by wathsala » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Cell phones are very important now.I own one too.

People,partcularly young adults are abusing the uses of a cell phone.It is up to you whether you make it a boon or a bane.

leegleze
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by leegleze » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:01 pm

The Prepaid Wireless site doesn't allow top ups using Canadian credit cards. Bah humbug!

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:58 am

I had problems setting up our account - same issue - being from Canada. I called them and they were very helpful in setting us up our account over the phone. Now I am able to just go on-line and add the minutes. So far so good - the truth will be told when we actually arrive back in PV and see if the phone still works!