Spanish/English conversational practice

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Portland Traveler
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Spanish/English conversational practice

Post by Portland Traveler » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:24 pm

I will be in PV in December and January. I am a native English speaker looking for native Spanish speakers for conversational practice. Any suggestions?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:20 am

Just strike up a conversation with a local. They like to help you practice Spanish and they can practice their english with you.

If you want to say "How do you say" Just say Como se dice? Sounds like "ko mo - say - de say"

If they don't speak English that is when the fun begins, pointing, gestures, etc. usually make for some fun conversations.

If you want to get started before you go.... I like livemocha.com You can start as a beginner and the program lets you hear the word in spanish, spell the word in spanish, write the word in spanish, read the word in spanish, practiice speaking the word and it grades you on each lesson. You can also sign up for a buddy who will be a spanish speaker learning english and you can correct each other's work and make suggestions. It is self-paced...you can leave it and come back weeks later and it picks right up at the lesson you left off on. And the best part...there is no cost for the program. Give it a try before you go and you will find out you learn/understand a lot of words in a short time.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:31 pm

As Kat says, the locals really like helping you with the language. They are pleased just to see you make the effort.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:34 am

the beach vendors will be happy to practice spanish with you.