New Possesion Law

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:55 am

PV is Mexico and nothing is written in stone when it comes to enforcement. It all depends on who you run into and how much it will be worth to you to keep out of trouble. Livin, go down and do your thing and let us know how it works for you. No one can answer your question here for the above reason. You are definitely at a disadvantage when you are not a citizen of Mexico.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:01 am

Nice response Kat..

Livin on easy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Livin on easy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Kat. Why am I at a disadvantage if I am not a Mexican citizen?

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Ok livin easy.....how old are you?? You seem to be just a litle naive. Any time you are a traveller in a foreign country you are at a disadvantage.....being fluent in spanish would likely help and I know I am not but perhaps you are...

Do ya watch the news at all?? Being caught in any (and I mean any) foreign country with anything illegal is not a desirable situation in my eyes....

Livin on easy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Livin on easy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi Chris. I Guess you speak for Kat. Once again an assumption I want to do something illegal. Have you even read my question?

Livin on easy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Livin on easy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Chris I find you the same as the other moderator Chuck. Quite rude!

How old am I ???? Who is the name caller now?????

This is a legal question plain and simple. It is you guys who keep trying to put an illegal spin on it.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:36 pm

I apologize if you consider that a rude question. Perhaps you should be clear as to the question. Instead of all this back and forth back and forth. ARE you asking about weed?? Or are you asking about drugs that are prescription in other countries but not in Mexico. If you are asking about weed then I'm fairly confident you will not get the answer you need on this forum. Just saying....been on this forum for a couple of years now and it is extremely helpful but I doubt anyone will answer that...

I guess the answer is...and I am speaking from a totally non-informed tourist....try it and find out. Then you will know how they respond to the new posession laws.. (and of course I am talking about whatever you are talking about which I'm sure is not illegal drugs).

Hows that???

Have a good holiday.

wills
PV Fan
PV Fan

New Mexican Posession Laws

Post by wills » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:40 pm

Livin on easy, perhaps you will find this link helpful. It is one of several that are available if you Google: Current Mexican federal laws on drug possession

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125086054771949269.html

Could you please offer an explanation for your interest in this subject? I think what some of the other posters may be suggesting here is that should a person, for what ever reason, perceived or actual, run afoul of the law in Mexico, the resulting situation has the distinct potential, to be prolonged and most unpleasant. You do not for instance, have any of the rights your home county provides through constitutional guaranties or codified law. Counsular intervention on your behalf is limited. Your ability to affect outcomes and time lines is virtually non-existent. Mexico's judicial/prosecutorial system is founded on Napolianic Law in which the accused is guilty until proven innocent. None of the forgoing are cheering prospects.
Last edited by wills on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Sorry Livin', not trying to be rude or evasive to your your initial question. To answer your question as to why you would be at a disadvantage not being a Mexican National. Just re-read what I wrote. Ex-pats, tourists, gringos, whatever you want to call "us" are always more of a target for pay-offs than Mexican citizens are, simply because we are perceived to have more money than the average Mexican citizen and thus are a better target to pay our way out of any difficulties we might run into in Mexico. I have a Mexican National business partner who has educated me very well as to what happens on both sides of the street as far as local vs. tourist. A Mexican national can get stopped with joint or two and tell the police he is addicted to pot and it is only for his own use. If they find no other large quantities on their person, they can and often do just let them go. BUT it is not a given and most locals don't want to be anywhere around where the police might be checking people with any amount of drugs if they have them on their person. That is the truth pure and simple...so take it for what it is worth.

Case in point, I own a boat in PV, my partner is the captain, he hired a younger boy as his "helper". That boy spoke to a customer on while he was on a trip on our boat and made a deal with him to obtain some coke for him. He took the money and did not deliver the goods. The next day the customer is yelling at my partner that he had been ripped off by his helper. So what is this guy gonna do, go to the police and say he tried to buy cocaine and the guy ripped him off, I think not? What my partner did was immediately tell his helper "I am not gonna lose my boat over you pulling some stupid Sh&% like that, your are fired." Locals that are smart don't mess with the stuff and they have more leeway than non-citizens have. I don't think I or anyone else on here can make it any clearer than we already have. If you want problems, mess with something or do something you are not supposed to be doing in a foreign country and you are more than likely gonna come out on the losing end.

Wills, have given you a very good link to the laws, read through it. How far you want to push it and how big a risk-taker you are will answer your own question.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Boy, some of you girls are really touchy, easy. Asking your age is "rude"? And speaking of rude; why are all of your current postings is very large, green font? While not all caps, it really looks like you are shouting. Do you have any other questions or remarks about PV that are NOT drug related? If you do, please post them so we can start talking about something that is not illegal. Thanks. Chuck...

Livin on easy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Livin on easy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:18 am

Wow I will try to address all of your questions and assumptions.

Chris you state "Perhaps you should be clear as to the question."

Well chris the question has now been posted twice I guess you haven't read it.
The question is " Are the new drug possesion laws being enforced?"

Chris when you say you are confident I will not get an answer to my question in this forum. Are you now speaking for all 6000 and over members here.

Chris you sarcastically say "(and of course I am talking about whatever you are talking about which I'm sure is not illegal drugs). " Well Chris Marijuana, Coke, Meth and LSD are legal in Mexico if under the personnel limits.( See willis's Link) So when talking about these drugs within personnel limits I am not talking about illegal drugs.

Willis thanks for the link but I am quite aware of the new posseision laws in Mexico. Maybe chris should take a read.

Willis you state "You do not for instance, have any of the rights your home county provides through constitutional guaranties or codified law. "

This i am aware of. But do I not have the rights of what the law of the country I am in states?

You also state,"I think what some of the other posters may be suggesting here is that should a person, for what ever reason, perceived or actual, run afoul of the law in Mexico, the resulting situation has the distinct potential, to be prolonged and most unpleasant. "

Well if a person is within personnal drug limits as stated by law, are they running afoul of the law?

Kat. Thank you. For actually supplying info on the actual question. I am aware of how the police deal with possesion amounts with locals. It sounds like nothing has much changed there. One of the reasons this new law was brought in was to cut out the illegal shake down of the police officer catching someone with small amounts. Once again, I am only asking if the new law is being enforced?

Charlieb I like green do you have a prob with that too? i will decrease the size of the font since some girls around here are so touchy. I used the bold text button is that OK?

Charlie you state "Do you have any other questions or remarks about PV that are NOT drug related? If you do, please post them so we can start talking about something that is not illegal."

Charlie please read Willis's link. This discussion is not about illegal drugs.Try to be informed.

Let's say a parking ticket meant you had to go to jail for 1 day.
Then the law was changed, and it was now only a 100.00 fine.
Should you still go to jail for a parking ticket?

Well it seems that most of you do not accept the drug possesion laws in Mexico. Sorry that's not my doing. Seems mostly what I am hearing is peoples personal feelings about it and not any real open minded info.

Willis asks why my interest in this subject? A fair question, one no one else has bothered to ask, just assume I am a drug dealer.

I am a LEGAL medical marijuana user in Canada. Unlike the USA you cannot get a medical marijuana permit for a broken finger. There are many forms doctors and hoops to jump through, and permits are not given for mediocre reasons. I will not get into my personal reasons. My reasons for asking are purely personal. So I may take my medication without breaking the law. As far as I know Mexico does not condone medical use. But the new law would allow me to have medication on my person within the confines of the law.

Most of you seem to live or come from states or provinces that condone medical marijuana use. Why the close mindedness in this forum.

Livin on easy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Livin on easy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:54 pm

On another note but still within the context of this post.

This is not the most friendly forum. As I read over this post I realize I started this stating Hi, I am new here. Not one member offered welcome or even said hi. hmmmm anyways no biggy. One reply from wuero offered some support but was more or less a warning of the railroading to come.This will not in anyway effect my love for PV or Mexico. Thx Kat for a non judgemental response.

wills
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by wills » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:02 pm

Much, if not all of the unpleasantness, might have been averted if you simply stated at the beginning of your original post that your use of hippy lettuce was medicinal. The way in which the query was presented was part of the misunderstanding. There might have been a reasonable assumption present in my response, but there was no prejudice. I was just trying to present some salient information that might be helpful. We can all benefit from the notion "do I seek to understand as much as I want to be understood".

P.S. Bienvenido a PV.net forum. Wills

Livin on easy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Livin on easy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Thank You for the welcome Willis. but really do I have to post my personal medical info just to ask a legal qyestion in a public forum?

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:09 pm

You certainly have a problem getting along with people, Livin. I would imagine that carries over to your face-to-face interactions. I'm real sorry for you and I wish you nothing but happiness and mellowness. You take care and have a Merry Christmas. Chuck... 8)

ps: please lighten up if you have any interaction with the police in PV.

Livin on easy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Livin on easy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:23 pm

LOL OK Charlie I get it. You don't like me.

Tree
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Tree » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Livin,

Welcome to the forum. I also am new here and have read thru the entire conversation about what Mexican law considers "illegal substances".
All of the people that have responded to your initial post have tried to help, in their own way. Instead of taking issue with the way they responded, why not just take the advice offered? When asking a varied audience a question, is it not a fair assumption that you will recieve a varied response? Why not just take the information given, use what you will, and be thankful your querry was given time and consideration?
Or is it a case of "stiring the pot with a big green stick"? :)

If you are truly concerned with your medication, and being in violation of Mexican law, I'm sure you could contact the Mexican authorities, and they would be happy to answer your questions. They would not , however, be able to say exactly what would happen if one random corrupt police officer meets up with you in a perverbial "back alley"

I hope you have a wonderful time in PV, and represent your canadian counterparts by being respectful and friendly to all, including those on this forum!

Livin on easy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Livin on easy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Tree. Thank You. Welcome.

Tranquilo
PV Fan
PV Fan

Your Boat

Post by Tranquilo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:38 pm

katnsocal wrote:Sorry Livin', not trying to be rude or evasive to your your initial question. To answer your question as to why you would be at a disadvantage not being a Mexican National. Just re-read what I wrote. Ex-pats, tourists, gringos, whatever you want to call "us" are always more of a target for pay-offs than Mexican citizens are, simply because we are perceived to have more money than the average Mexican citizen and thus are a better target to pay our way out of any difficulties we might run into in Mexico. I have a Mexican National business partner who has educated me very well as to what happens on both sides of the street as far as local vs. tourist. A Mexican national can get stopped with joint or two and tell the police he is addicted to pot and it is only for his own use. If they find no other large quantities on their person, they can and often do just let them go. BUT it is not a given and most locals don't want to be anywhere around where the police might be checking people with any amount of drugs if they have them on their person. That is the truth pure and simple...so take it for what it is worth.

Case in point, I own a boat in PV, my partner is the captain, he hired a younger boy as his "helper". That boy spoke to a customer on while he was on a trip on our boat and made a deal with him to obtain some coke for him. He took the money and did not deliver the goods. The next day the customer is yelling at my partner that he had been ripped off by his helper. So what is this guy gonna do, go to the police and say he tried to buy cocaine and the guy ripped him off, I think not? What my partner did was immediately tell his helper "I am not gonna lose my boat over you pulling some stupid Sh&% like that, your are fired." Locals that are smart don't mess with the stuff and they have more leeway than non-citizens have. I don't think I or anyone else on here can make it any clearer than we already have. If you want problems, mess with something or do something you are not supposed to be doing in a foreign country and you are more than likely gonna come out on the losing end.

Wills, have given you a very good link to the laws, read through it. How far you want to push it and how big a risk-taker you are will answer your own question.
Kat, Nothing to do with illegal drugs, but we're going to be in PV January 22-29 (and again sometime in February). Can you contact me offline so I may get more info on renting your craft? Gracias.

Ann
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Ann » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:35 pm

My suggestion Livin, would be to contact the Canadian consulate and explain you are a medical marijuana user, and find out what they have to say about transporting the drug through customs, and using it while in Mexico.