New Possesion Law

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

AguaFresca
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by AguaFresca » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Livin,

I am new here, too. I have read the post & its replies and I do understand that sometimes people need things like marijuana for medicinal purposes. I understand that sometimes it is used for glaucoma or to treat otherwise incurable pain. While i'm no authority on the uses of medicinal marijuana and certainly no expert on Mexico, please allow me to tell you what i am familiar with.

I do know that drugs in Latin America can be a sore, sore subject. It seems that many Americans (and maybe others) come to Mexico to party & to leave all good behavior behind, not knowing (or maybe not caring?) what the drug trade does to the countries that provide it--- how foreign money provides the power to overrun whole governments and kill anyone who gets in the way of this business (or maybe even anyone who just gets too close to it). I do know people like my friend Maria, whose cousin was killed in Guatemala a couple of weeks ago, leaving behind a couple of babies and a grieving husband and family.

Obviously you aren't looking at coming to Mexico to party--- but please do be careful. From what i have heard, seen, and read, and from having lived among and worked with many people from south of the US-Mexico border, my guess would strongly be that what is or isn't legal is not nearly as important as the person you are dealing with in the moment of any particular situation and their perceptions of you. It is probably far more important to be polite than it is to follow laws. And I don't know how ex-pats work things out, but I think that in most situations, it is probably best to not be alone.

Here up north, we expect the laws to work and function as a system, dealing out punishments for specific actions, automatically bypassing things that are considered legal, and generally ignoring personal feelings. There, i think your best bet is not to rely on the law but to have a good group of people around you, looking out for eachothers' interests--- that's kind of the role of family, but i think you could do it with something surrogate if need be, as long as they are dedicated and committed--- preferably people that know the lay of the land (so to speak) far better than you do. There are many good & valid reasons why people don't operate alone in places like that.

Hope this makes some kind of sense to you. My goal is to give you a little more perspective so that you have an idea of what you might be dealing with before you set foot in a foreign country with whatever you may be dealing with in your own life.

AEAZY
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by AEAZY » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:52 am

The individual asked a simple question, "are the new possesion laws being enforced?" Why are some people on here so quick to give a newbie the runaround? Very immature Charlie!

I have lived and traveled to PV many times and I have never seen police harassing people who arent looking for trouble(as far as druge use goes). Of course many will say using drugs is asking for trouble but what I mean is being obvious about it. The people I have seen have trouble as far as random stops and searches are drunk young male americans. thats my two cents. Now I sit here patiently waiting for sarcastic remarks!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 am

Aezy,
I really don't think the OP has been given the runaround.

I have a question for you....Have YOU in your many travels to PV since the laws have been changed had them enforced on you? Have you been stopped for possession of an amount over the legal limit? If so...please then feel free to answer the OP's question and share what your experience was. If not then you did nothing but give him a run around too by posting what you have seen with young drunk male americans on your many trip/travels/living in PV.

Not looking to start yet another long discussion but rather to point out the apparent fact that no one on this forum has experienced being in possession of amounts over the legal limit and therefore are unable to give a definite answer or senario.

AEAZY
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by AEAZY » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks for that dose of wisdom Kat, it was def a legal dose.

montyjam
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by montyjam » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:56 pm

I think the simple reason no one has been able to answer the question is that those who responded (with the exception of a few) have absolutely NO experience with this type of thing.

You might want to check with the peeps over at Vallarta Scene. They might have more current, pertinent information and be able to give you a more satisfactory answer.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

This MIGHT shed some light on the subject.

Post by ronald » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:20 am

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011 ... 70731.html

Canadian arrested in Mexico on drug charges

PLAYA DEL CARMEN, Mexico – A Canadian man faces up to two years in a Mexican jail after he was arrested on drug charges in a southeastern resort town, local police say.

Quebecer Daniel Gingras, 45, was picked up in Playa Del Carmen on Tuesday evening and was later charged with possession of cocaine and marijuana, police co-ordinator Oscar Manriquez told QMI Agency. He said Gingras was spotted drinking with other individuals.

“Drinking in the street is prohibited in (the region),” said Manriquez. “That’s why Mr. Gingras caught the attention of my officers.”

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:04 am

Hey all...remember me? lmao First, I don't think there was anything wrong with the question. Secondly, I think charlie was in fact too judgemental (imho). And thirdly, unless one had actual experiences with the police, how would we ever know if the new law(s) were being enforced or not? I think it was a fairly dumb question, but certainly nothing wrong with it...and no more than that. 8)

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:16 am

SOoo, what's wrong with being judgemental? The world runs on people judging others. Look at what you have written under your posts about Microsoft: Your judgement. How about you being judgemental about me be judgemental? Your whole post is judging this thread. Judging others is a GOOD thing, so, to that end, I thank you! Chuck... 8)

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Well my friend...not to "nit-pick" too much, but you'll notice the quote in my sig is "unknown", meaning it wasn't me that said it. So I can't agree with ya on that one. But yes, you are correct in a general sense...we DO all judge one another. Doesn't make it correct or "right"...lol

Let me re-phrase my post a wee bit. I think you were a little harsh on someone that had essentially just joined the forum with an "honest" question. There ya go...me making a judgement. Please note though, I'm judging the action, not the person. I'm guessing that wasn't the case with you originally.

And besides...do what I say...not what I do!!! ;) lol

royalina
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by royalina » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:58 am

I get tired of the holy rollers judging others for using when they readily give their prescription meds to a spouse or loved one or take them from them if there's extra. I know we do this in my family and that's a felony, whereas poss'n of mj is a misdemeanor. .....

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:14 am

Hi everyone!

New to the forum too. I just moved to PV a couple of weeks ago and wish I could offer some insight as to what the answer would be, but have Mexican citizenship and never been in a situation like that. But I believe the OP had a legit question and got mostly not very useful answers since nobody seems to have been in that situation.

Kat had a point when she said the cops can make their own interpretation of the law. You might not be fined or detained for small quantities, but you might be asked how you got it or from whom. That might be a little hard to answer and might get you into some trouble. One thing is for sure, money can get you out of most situations with the cops here if you are polite and friendly.

What I would advise you to do is, if you are a user and can get some weed here, smoke it in your room or balcony and don't have it on you. Cops interpret the law in their own uneducated way.

There are laws against illegal searches too and I have been patted down and my car searched, and my wallet looked into for no other reason than pulling over to check my map after getting lost. Being dark and alone on a not a very busy highway I didn' bark at them. They did ask me for coffee money after they asked me to follow them to the right exit for which I gave them 30 pesos.

That said, have a great vacay and weather you use it for medical purposes or to party, have your fun, enjoy it and don't get caught.

simplyvallarta
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by simplyvallarta » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:21 am

Wow, I just signed up for this forum (haven't even had time to add my pic or make my profile), but I'm beginning to think I've made a mistake. I don't smoke weed, but it seems ridiculous that charlieb or charlie, as a moderator, would jump down this guy's throat for asking a question.

If you want to run your forum as a place where people can't ask drug related questions, then just delete the post. Don't sit there and spout condescending bs at the guy. He just wanted an answer and thought this was a comfortable forum of adults to question. I just read through the first two pages of responses and didn't see an actual, legal, answer. If you don't know, just say you don't know (or say nothing), but preaching from your cyber pulpit isn't going to keep newcomers like me visiting the forum.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:13 am

Welcome to our forum, simple, however, you are not making a very good first impression preaching from your cyber pulpit with you first post. Maybe you should have stopped by with an introduction and a "howdy" before taking it upon your self to critisize. That's reserved for folks with more than one post under their belts. And posts are not deleted because they are not agreed with, or yours would be gone. If you decide to stay, please spend some time reading our forums to get a feel for the give and take and you will see that we try very hard not to critisize the poster, but we will critisize the content. Come on back with a "howdy" and tell us about your self and your experiences in PV and your plans. Take care, now, partner. Chuck... 8)

simplyvallarta
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Hahaha

Post by simplyvallarta » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:12 pm

So now i'm being called out? Why would it matter how many posts I've left? My opinion is less valid because I just found your message board? Way to run a forum buddy.

As for your suggestion, which was a demand technically speaking (you seem to enjoy telling people what to do), I have lived in PV for a little over two years now. I do web marketing for Journey Mexico and I recently started and run simplyvallarta.com. Maybe you've seen our Safety of Mexico video.

We just started a Rants and Raves section on the blog. Maybe your forum will by my first rant ;)

Keep up the good work "partner." Love the site. All the ads are awesome.

Wuero
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: Hahaha

Post by Wuero » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:23 pm

simplyvallarta wrote:So now i'm being called out? Why would it matter how many posts I've left? My opinion is less valid because I just found your message board? Way to run a forum buddy.

As for your suggestion, which was a demand technically speaking (you seem to enjoy telling people what to do), I have lived in PV for a little over two years now. I do web marketing for Journey Mexico and I recently started and run simplyvallarta.com. Maybe you've seen our Safety of Mexico video.

We just started a Rants and Raves section on the blog. Maybe your forum will by my first rant ;)

Keep up the good work "partner." Love the site. All the ads are awesome.
It's pretty amusing how the moderator thinks it's okay to be a bully if you post a lot on the forum. God forbid if you stand up for somebody on your first post. The funny thing, too, is that he simply could have just deleted Easy's post if he was so offended by it and though others would be, too. Instead, he's turned off a lot of moderate people who aren't necessarily pro drugs, but at the same time aren't hell bent on trying to preach to those that are. Here it turns out as I said all along that Easy may not even be interested in breaking any laws....he just wanted to know what to do to follow the law.