Burglaries in Colonia Amapas

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

TomDane
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Burglaries in Colonia Amapas

Post by TomDane » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Anyone heard reports of recent burglaries in Amapas? Friends are telling me of breakins but I haven't read anything in the Nota Roja or on the boards.

TomDane
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by TomDane » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:32 am

One burglary victim suspects police involvement in the crime.

After two breakins, the homeowner hired private security. His guard successfully apprehended a burglar during yet another attempt.

The police were called and the burglar turned over to their custody.

The next day when the homeowner came to the police station, he discovered that the police officers had filed no paperwork in regards to the crime and the burglar had obviously been released.

TomDane
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by TomDane » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:06 pm

This statement has been released by the Amapas Homeowner's Board:

Your Amapas Homeowner’s Board wants to issue a specific warning to owners and residents of separate homes in the Amapas area. Although condo owners should also take caution, recent robberies have targeted single residences. This is not a hoax. This is a real problem and we will discuss it at our annual meeting, January 14, 10 a.m. at Café Isabel. PLEASE JOIN US.

Be sure to look at our website: http://www.amapaspv.com for information in our MEMBERS ONLY education section and for updates.

What can you do today?

1. Physically get to know your immediate neighbors by name and sight. Make them aware of this problem.

2. Inspect your property. Be sure you have deadbolt exterior locks and window locks or bars close together (we have had entrance even with bars that were somewhat far apart)

3. Install motion lights near any vulnerable exterior and interior patio area. Ladders, car roofs, etc. have been used to go over walls.

4. Consider electronic protection from a service or purchase at Costco.

5. Hide valuables – don’t use interior safes. Lock your computer keyboard and put a Spanish note on it saying it is locked. Don’t leave valuables in sight in a car.

6. Appoint someone to watch your place in your absence .. . randomly.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 am

PV isn't any different than any other city. The things you listed are what they tell you to do in every neighborhood watch program in existance. I find it funny that they tell you to put a note in spanish on the keyboard that it is locked. Do you really think a thief cares? They will sell it to some chump on the street within hours after they steal it and it won't matter to the thief if it works or not or if it is locked or not it won't be his problem but he will have the $$$ in his pocket.

I am not exactly sure why you are keeping this going on a tourist website. The information is meant for the "private homeowners" not tourists and frankly most of it is just common sense. Hiding your valuables in your house is also something of a questionable statement, burglars know the majority of hiding places so hiding your $5,000 diamond ring in your underwear isn't going to keep it safe, unless you are wearing your underwear. :D

I say this because there is enough negative publicity about Mexico right now without putting the scare tactics of robbery into the mix. No one on this forum would be allowed to/nor would they really have any reason to attend the meeting you just posted about.

TomDane
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by TomDane » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Which PV message board is more relevant to residents, especially the expat community?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:35 pm

TomDane

Check your PM box.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:04 am

I would guess it would be vallartascene.com, but it's a pretty open board with a drunken rants section that sometimes carries over to the other threads. I'm guessing that a really big percentage of ex-pats now living in PV frequent the board and will respond to your questions.

I tend to get myself in hot water over there as it appears I have a difference of opinion with respect to things political.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:19 pm

Actually the one board for visitors is tripadvisor. This one tends to be for visitors as well.

Brenda's board, Rick's Board and Fox's Board all welcome issues for residents because their owners are all residents. Brenda's is the least contentious, and Fox's next.

Regarding Amapas, we live here and our neighbors had numerous breakins until they beefed up their security. Like Kate says, it is just common sense like you would do NOTB. As long as you are more secure than your neighbor, you will do fine.