Getting Married in October in PV....a couple of questions...

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

mykul
PV Fan
PV Fan
Getting Married in October in PV....a couple of questions...

Post by mykul » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been a reader and infrequent poster on these boards since I first found myself in Vallarta 4 years ago.
My gal and I are renting a large villa in October and getting married, I am hoping some of you can answer a couple of questions for me, or point me in the right direction.
My fiance' is from Aguascalientes, Mexico and I am Canadian, we decided on a villa for the wedding as this will be the first time most of our friends and family have met.
We figure throwing everyone in the kitchen and around a pool together for 5 days will help break down the language barrier a bit.

First thing:
That being said, we need to get groceries to feed around 50 people 2 meals a day for 5 days. (2 meals because we figure everyone is going to want to experience some of the great restaurant fare.) I know there is a Wal-Mart etc in PV but I am hoping for direction to a more traditional market. Good quality stuff at reasonable prices.

Second thing:
Post wedding we are thinking to maybe get a boat to ferry everyone to one of the secluded beaches south of Vallarta. This will obviously take several trips to and from (50 people give or take) So we are trying to figure a budget for a taxi to drop everyone off in the morning and pick them up late afternoon. Any ideas?

More questions may present themselves as October draws closer.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:21 pm

Yikes!!!! You have to feed them every day? Cheaper to stay single, isn't it?

johnie D
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

wedding

Post by johnie D » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:17 pm

I would also go to Costco in PV

mykul
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mykul » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:38 pm

Marttin43 wrote:Yikes!!!! You have to feed them every day? Cheaper to stay single, isn't it?

Everyone is contributing.
We'll bring some dry goods from Aguascalientes with her family, but we figure sending some of my family and friends to the market with hers for produce etc might be fun.

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:49 am

I just love intercultural marriages, specially when the families get together. :P

I wish you the best luck in your marriage and hope you have a great wedding. Don't forget to tell your foks the pinning large dollar bills on the bride tradition.

Let us know if there are any unusual wedding traditions from Aguascalientes. I've heard of some good ones and some weird ones all over Mexico.

October seems quite a ways, but as it gets colser if you want me to go talk to some of the water taxi dudes, I'll be more than happy to ask them.

I know there's a farmers market somewhere, but only on certain days. Maybe some of the old timers will pitch in the info.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:37 am

The central market is more of a traditional mexican market. It is on
L. Cardenas and Camachin, probably more of what your future inlaws would be used to.

The farmers market won't be running unless they change their schedule next year. Their season is usually Nov-July. It is in old town on Sat. 10 am. to 1 pm on Pulpito between Olas Altas and Amapas.

An old timer has spoken :) or perhaps just someone who is a little more familiar with PV? :)

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Nah...you are an ol' timer :lol:

mykul
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mykul » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:32 pm

Marttin: Thanks for the offer on the water taxis. We've never used them so I'm just trying to get some kind of idea what they would charge to get 50 or so people there and then come back and pick them up.

I'm not sure about Aguascalientes-specific wedding traditions. I'll ask the lady tonight.

Kat: The central market is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the heads up.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:34 am

mykul,
I am not sure that water taxis will work for you guys. The water taxis run on a specific schedule and to get 50 people out and back it would take at least 3 taxis or 3 trips back and forth. Since they have schedules they run on from point A to point B I am not sure that they will be able to accomodate that many people.

If you want me to I can check with my captain and see if he knows of a boat that can hold that many people that you could rent for a few hours and what the cost would be.

mykul
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mykul » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:59 am

That would be awesome Kat.
Thanks!

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:28 am

Ok, I was out on Boca de Tomatlan and asked about your needs. The panga dude said for 50 ppl you would better rent 3 of them for about $100US/each. They will transport your guests and wait until 3 am if necesasry to bring them back to town.

Don't think it's a bad deal.

Let me know if you need further help.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:34 pm

The panga dude said for 50 ppl you would better rent 3 of them
Hmmmm yeah what she said, LOL.

Depending on where your villa is Boca could also raise the need to get 50 people down there and back by taxi. There are other locations that may be closer depending on where your condo is.

mykul
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mykul » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks everyone!
Really appreciate your time in helping with some of the details.
Renting 3 of the Pangas sounds like a great deal to me.
The villa we are renting is up the hill in old town. So I was initially thinking to grab the water taxis from the pier. Would this work?

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:07 am

Ummm...not sure you'd want to do that. We no longer have functional pier at Los Muertos and doubt the new pier will be done by the time you tie the knot.
Now that price I think was from Boca, and I only enquired from there since we are out of a pier in Los Muertos.

I think your best bet would be to rent bus for all your guests to Boca de Tomatlan. I figure it'd be another 150-200 bucks to rent the bus both ways. Ether that or most of your guests will get their feet wet. I can carry the pretty female guests to the boat for ya, but not dudes.....and only if I get to dance one with the bride.

Just kidding, I doubt I'll be here on the dates you mentioned. But I can enquire about the bus if you'd like. It is a nice ride out to boca and a shorter boat ride for your guests. I'm pretty sure the bus drivers won't mind making an extra few bucks to help you out. That might be a good thing if some of them drink a little too much...or you yourself.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:49 am

Mykul,
They are boarding the pangas from the beach right next to the pier. Yes, you will have to take your shoes off but if you are all going to spend the day on the beach it should not be a problem for you. It just depends on how you want to do it, keep in mind if your entire party is going on the boats you will more than likely not all be able to get on one bus (depending on the time of day you go). So that would mean some are waiting at Boca while the rest of your group is waiting for a bus.

My suggestion would be, if you can arrange it, to take a run down to Boca when you get into town and see if you can arrange for 3 water taxis that are not running a regular schedule and reserve them for your party. If you just show up it might mean a longer delay trying to get all of you on the boats.

People think it is easy to just show up and get a boat but with a group as big as yours you have an entirely different situation than the tourist that walks up and wants to grab a boat. Trust me when I say with that many people and that many boats involved you are going to have to have some type of reservation/arrangement before you just show up.

mykul
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mykul » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:56 pm

Cool.
We will be in Vallarta briefly 2 weeks or so before the wedding and then return on our own ahead of family and friends a couple of days before.
I intend to use those times to run around and iron out some of the details.
This info lets us know where we're at and gives me some direction.
Thanks again.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:16 am

Mykul,
Check your private messages for information.

Kat

Mexberry
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Mykul's getting married.

Post by Mexberry » Wed May 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Make life easier on the ladies who are preparing all the goodies- go to Sorianna where most things are under one roof. Vallarta Adventures have a boat that could accommodate all of you one one trip. Check their website. It all sounds like fun going to local markets etc, but it is a great deal of work especially if the mothers haven't met or possibly cannot speak a common language. Good luck anyway.

mykul
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mykul » Sat May 21, 2011 5:55 pm

There is a lot of professional cooking and restaurant experience in both families, which is why we decided to take care of the food collectively.

The villa has a large commercial kitchen more than adequate for our needs. A lot of the dry goods will be purchased in bulk and brought along from Aguascalientes. We will buy staple fruit and veggies in large enough quantity the first day that we don't have to run out every morning for stuff.

The mom's and ladies are not expected to spend their days in the kitchen cooking for everyone, in fact we have tried to organize it in exactly the opposite way.
We have planned two meals per day, with a different couple or group volunteering to co-ordinate each one with 4 or 5 helpers.
Breakfast and snacks will be casual and help yourself.

There is a language barrier to some extent, but there will be enough bi-lingual people present to keep things rolling. And a few spanish/english dictionaries strewn about.

It will be some work for sure, but it being the first time our family and friends from both countries have spent time together, we really wanted to push for everyone to interact and enjoy each other's company.
We have talked to all friends and family attending and they are all excited and think it will be a great way to spend a few days.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun May 22, 2011 12:54 am

Mykul,
It sounds like you guys have a really good handle on the entire celebration. What a great way for your families to get to know each other and the language barrier can be fun at times and make for some good laughs between everyone. I think it will work out just great!.