Highway Robbery

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

jetraveler
PV Fan
PV Fan
Highway Robbery

Post by jetraveler » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Just heard about a group of tourists being held up and robbed while on a guided tour. Anyone know where and when? :shock:

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:47 pm

It was a bus tour of 22 people from the Carnavale Cruise lines, Thursday the 23, that was on an ecotour in Nogalito, a small village 5 to 6 miles from downtown. No one was hurt, just shaken by the experience. Varying reports of exactly how many gunmen there were.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:31 am

Many rumors flying which is normal. One is that the bus actually went off course and did not stay on the usual road and perhaps it was an inside job? Who knows, way too many rumors to be able to say for sure.

The tour was a cruise line tour and has been suspended indefinately by Carnival Cruise Lines. The local news was there when the ship docked in Long Beach and many of the passengers on board said they did not even know anything had happened until they were told by people at the cruise dock in Long Beach. I find that the most surprising, one would think it would have been all over the ship as soon as the people involved came back to the ship in Puerto Vallarta. The ship sailed from Long Beach at 4:30 p.m. today for Mexico. Carnival stated that this was an isolated incident and is pretty much playing down any current danger in Puerto Vallarta. The sad thing is no matter how much people are told it was an isolated incident it will just add more fuel to the Mexico is not safe rumors.

Carnival is reimbursing all the passengers for their losses and assisting them in replacing passports.

If nothing else it serves as a reminder, don't take your expensive jewelry, credit cards, a lot of cash and your passport on a Jungle tour to zip line. I don't do that when I am walking around town. I take just what I think I will need for whatever I am doing and the rest stays locked in the safe.

Neverenuff
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Neverenuff » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Some BS to this article, we had some friends visit us in PV from the Splendor last week and they didn't get to carry their passports. Seems like another Mexico bashing. I do agree that it was an inside job. What do we believe!

All as we can say is we are booked for next year already for 2 months instead of 6 weeks, we love the people of MX and all that comes with this beautiful country.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:53 pm

From another board:

There was one robber and 3 people were robbed on a single file trail through the woods, The robbery happened at 5pm and the cruise expected such excursions to be at 10am. It was off the road. Thought to be an inside job. Local police know the perp.

Most cruise ship patrons were not aware of the incident when they disembarked in Long Beach. Much adieu about nothing!

FrancisABoyd
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by FrancisABoyd » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:44 pm

I can neither confirm nor deny the validity of this article, but I too am getting tired of all the Mexico bashing. It is not a country rife with banditos robbing tourists at every turn. You are more likely to be robbed in the states. Tourism is a such a big part of the economy that these events are isolated and will not be tolerated. Just my 2 cents.

I love Mexico...great country!