PV travel forum review

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
PV travel forum review

Post by Uecker_seats » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Does anyone know if any or most travel boards that you find when you surf the internet are advertiser funded? OV and VS are owned by business owners, so sometimes can be more spicy if not more entertaining. LP appears to be advertiser funded, as does expatforum.com, but it appears to be to a lesser degree. There was a thread on TA a day or so back that got completely deleted that was started by Bruce from Teatro Limon complaining about how his establishment has been dropping in their almighty restaurant ratings! Don't even begin to look for it because it has been deleted, way too controversial for the "TA community". It was just flippin' AMAZING that PV Jennybean was agreeing with Bruce on that thread and being sympathetic to his whine (wine?) hehe!! The reason I'm asking this is that guys like Bruce, JR, and several other current posters who are not so blatent and stick out, seem to be very agile and effective at being able to manipulate a site like this for free advertisment, which in most cases is invaluable, and technically against the board's rules! I love JR's "I don't organize, I just lead" quote for his "bar crawls" LOL, plus he makes absolutely no disclaimer anywhere that he gets a monitary "rake" from all of the establishments he takes these unsuspecting tourists to for bringing them in! Decieving to say the least.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Follow the money...

Post by webmaster » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:17 am

This one is Google funded :-)

I doubt there'd be much option to survive without some income, but yes, the best way is to place a disclaimer and be up front regarding your income and your business connections.

Didn't know that about JR, but I imagine he tells the guys/gals that come along, plus I doubt he drags them into ratty joints just for the $, would be bad for future business too.

Greetings

M.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:19 pm

I know that Rick advertises on his board and also offers free classified ads. As for JR, I have never heard of any disclaimers on his for profit endeavor, I also know some folks who went on one of these when they were first suggested by another poster on TA, and they did not have a clue about that. My point is he manipulates the boards, even to the point where he will initiate a post in order to crash down threads on other boards that I have started that he does not like that will often ultimately get completely deleted, like the one about his buddy Micheal from Que?pasa being in prison, and another was about the recent rash of expat muggings in PV where I did not even mention him by name posting he was the one who was mugged and that I was stalking and embarrassing him! JR used to be a admin on Rick's board, and now they don't even speak to each other, proving manipulators do not get along all that well.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rick?

Post by webmaster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Who's Rick?

It's a good idea to have a disclaimer, specially if you've become famous, it'll help your business in the end, plus people will not have anything to complain of later on.

It's hard to accommodate members that have an obvious business interest and are promoting a competing forum or site. You have to tread lightly or as now, go to the dominating forum, like the tripadvisor monopoly, and post freely, as they no longer feel threatened and all links you post are nofollow (that is they do not count as votes in the eyes of the search engines and do not affect your ranking).

When this forum was the only one and most popular, I had issues with almost all the most active members because of that, me and my business partners did not like it at all when people tried to direct our hard earned traffic to their sites (there was no "nofollow" tag at that time) and it would be a hassle to track down all the links, ads and spam on it. In the end most members migrated to fora built by their friends and left this one mostly along. It thrived for some time and since FB and specific mega-fora, this forum has been very quiet. Don't know if we can change that, but for now I'll leave it in place.

Greetings

M.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Rick aka Freeeye owner of vallartascene.com. TA is a joke. All the "Destination Experts" aside from bz1 are idiots/and or drunks.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm...

Post by webmaster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Quite a sweeping remark... I really hope not, cause then all TA users are being advised by the scum of the scum ;-) plus I post on TA too, though I am FAR from being one of the "chosen ones" maybe someday after I get addicted to something... Amaretto? ;-)

Greets

M.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:13 pm

OR........Bloody Cezars before 10am, lots and lots of 'em! :shock: :lol: and 15000+ posts later, why am I not a DE??, I KNOW EVERYTHING!

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:45 pm

I was asked if I wanted to be a destination expert on TA. I asked what were the qualifications? They did not answer. I think it is just posting alot.

Since I live here all winter, I know alot. But I have better things to do that type on these boards...

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:28 pm

TA and their DE's are a joke. PV Jennybean has been "chompin at the bit" :lol: for YEARS to be one. That will never happen, partly to the fact she sent me a PM there once threatening to "smack me in the head" and that's frightening because she is a true heavyweight! She also has PM'd other users on that and other boards over the years dising Teatro Limon, and even contacted some of Bruce's old employees trying to get his business shut down WITH OUT EVER EVEN HAVING MET THE MAN! Bruce told me that himself, so it is true. As for JR, that con man will never admit he gets a rake from his cantina crawls, no do I imagine that "funman" the guy that came up with that idea fo JR's money making venture ever got a "kickback" much less a thank you. :roll:

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:38 am

Jennybean has been a moderator on TA for quite a few years.

Of course JR gets something for the tours... that happens to be his business... No different from any other business person making something for the time he puts in. JR is not a rich man, so he has not made that much these past 20 or so years.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 am

Ron, I don't think that TA has "moderators" per say. Anyone can push a button on that site to report a inappropriate post that is not appropriate for the "TA community" Destination Experts are not moderators, and she is not a DE. Bottom line is JR is using TA for financial gain which is against the rules, hence his response "I don't organize, I just lead" Here's a new idea, and I don't even want a kickback. Brothel and cockfight crawl :lol:

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Most of the contributors to TA do it for fun. JR refers people to his maps of PV which are good. Often people will investigate his site and book tours there. He gets paid for site activity by the sponsors.

And I think most people on TA are one trip wonders, so they need all the help they can get.

I happen to disagree with JR on holidaying in Nuevo. But that is just a difference of opinion. Nuevo serves a useful purpose for people that would otherwise to to Cancun.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm

JR does not like the business or livelihood taken away from the south side more then likely because it takes away a potential customer for him, that's all he cares about $$$, anything to make a buck, or coheres free alcohol. I will say his anti American sentiments and hatred have diminished quite a bit across the boards over the years, guess it was bad for business. :roll:

gacsmom
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by gacsmom » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:54 am

They absolutely overlook DE's over there. Their mean posts, their snarky attitudes and their ridiculously offending pm's are just a reason to see that they should not be DE's. As for the little group that they have that control that board and basically downplay any other's opinions is so obvious, I can't believe anyone would even listen to them anymore. It is frustrating to no end to hear them go on like they are king----.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Looks like it's -minus one in the illustrious TA "Destination Experts" club, no mas careyeroslib ( Libby, pnlibby, Lippy). Ugh. Perhaps the strolls down the Boulevard of "Broken Dreams" *( 1313 Mockingbird Ln.? :twisted: ) may have finally have taken it's toll? This vacancy will no doubt have a rush of nominations to fill it (?) , so there. Québécois and wanna be ex pats need not apply, please…...

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:53 pm

and the loss of a DE on TA is a problem because why?

maria1019
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by maria1019 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:39 pm

lots and lots of 'em! and 15000+ posts later, why am I not a DE

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Just ask them to make you a DE. Are all your posts related to PV?

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:29 am

Current PV "across the boards" forum observations:
1) If your olde and relatively infamous in town, you can milk your birthday for months upon end, for every peso it's worth.
2) Any negative forum posts regarding lousy service and overcooked food at CI while the owner is up north (this appears to be a festering blister for years) will mysteriously disappear and time warped to Kronos.
3) Even though you got popped 'dancin with Mary Jane south of the border 4 decades ago, don't make a a$$ of yourself posting that experiance on a public forum for credible advise, you'll encounter alot of yahoo responses that are wrong and flippant there, kids. This thread appears to have been consumed by Cheech and Chong, "Big Bambu :D 8) "
4) There was a gathering of strange expat individuals a while back who got intoxicated down there and burned over a dozen books in the BBQ pit! HUH? Ray Bradbury has been dead for years. :roll:

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 am

Que?Pasa!! :arrow: ?Wood Eye, Wood Eye? :shock: :wink:
HAIRLIP, HAIRLIP!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :twisted: