sour grapes

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
sour grapes

Post by Uecker_seats » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:38 pm

OK. So now the major unspeakable scandal and unrest on TA is a post from a regular poster on many of these boards who was complaining about paying $80USD for a bottle of wine at TL that Chef Bruce had paired with the meal, which has since been deleted and the post has been closed. This on top of the $495 peso 5 course meal, plus gratuity. The reason I am posting this is because for the closest thing PV has to a true 5 star restaurant is probably TL, and this is probably not too bad of a price per bottle for a place like that, so please read on. Having never met Bruce, though I did talk to both he and his wife on the phone, and the Mrs. was very nice. I also gotta admit that I think that Bruce is more if the most colorful expats down there. I think some of the stuff and stories posted about him are just down right hilarious and sounds to me he is quite the card. Aside from some of his drunken escapades, he is a contributing member and does give more of his time when it comes to the community then most other expats down there. Part of the reason I was inspired to post this is because this fall my brother, step dad and myself took my mom for her birthday to the Tenderloin Room, in midtown's Chase Park Plaza Hotel. Back in the late 50's and early 60's, it was frequented by biggies like Barbra Streisand, The Smothers Brothers, and yes, The Rat Pack, who played the Chase approx a half a dozen times over the years, once with special guest Johnny Carson. I know the guy who picked up Carson at Lambert Field. The Chase also designated the VIP Rat Pack room, with a private bar and bartender. My brother went to high school with the guy who holds the concession there now and he is a pretty decent chef. The prawn appetizers were huge, and the salad and food were good. Expensive, but my mom deserved it. My brothers friend threw in a bottle of red wine on the house. Guess how much? $80USD! Originally I thought that was high and glad he comped it, but hey how often do you get to dine where Dino, Sammy and Ole' Blue Eyes once sat (and probably smoked like chimneys). Lots of TL's regular customers and friends he has made over the year bashed the OP in his review that it should have been taken up with Bruce privately. I disagree, isn't that what these travel forums are for? I didn't see any wine prices at the Tenderloin Room, but also didn't know the comped bottle was on the house either, and I usually drink beer. I don't think Bruce posts here any more but would like to hear his side on a forum like this where it is less likely to be censored like on TA, even like to hear from Keith on this since everyone thinks this is the newist proverbial "forum can of worms".

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:38 pm

The issue I had with Bruce was that he refused to offer the wine paiiring menu. He also charged double the 495 pesos price per person. Plus he failed to offer a discount for cash which he promised on the phone. I gave him a week to explain himself.

My desire to to alert other diners to the high costs of this restaurant. It is high quality. It is Bruce that chose to throw me under the bus for a few extra bucks. I live here all winter (6 months).

For me the Hacienda San Angel and The Vista Grill offer a better dining experiences for the money. Of course there are many other fine restaurants, too numerous to mention.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks for the clairification on this Keith! Maybe Bruce himself will respond in kind, sounds like miscommunication to say the least. It appeard that Rick/Freeeye used to coach the chef on how to respond on things like this, but it's my understanding that there has been a falling out there.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:44 pm

The biggest problem with the formula is the mystery surrounding the wine. He refuses to publish a list so it is always a mystery what the bill is going to be.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Keith, I have a feeling that this wine thing is one of the "oldest tricks in the book" when it comes to being a restaurateur who likes to make money. Undoubitly the markup on the wine is huge, that has to be one reason he probabaly doesn’t want to post it. The part that gets me is your more of just a aquaintance of Bruce. If he flipped on the discount he promised, and did the wine thing, I don't blame you for being upset. Maybe he should start pairing his meals with Ripple and Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill! :lol: :lol:

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:47 pm

My wife selected red wine by the glass and it was good. But it was $36 for 3.

When asked to supply a bottle for under $50, they offered a good one for 650 pesos.

I have no objection to paying an uplift for wine in any restaurant. Like you say, that is where they make their money. As long as I know the premium that I am paying.

At No Way Jose, we paid 330 a bottle for a wine available from Costco for 365 a case of 6.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Sounds like with prices like that maybe folks should drink a few glasses at home to more quickly reached the desired effect at the establishment. This thread just got me thinking, I wonder who holds the record of being banned out of PV drinking establishments? I would think it would be pretty close between JR and Bruce, with Freeeye rounding out the top 3....... :shock: :lol: