National Pastime funnies

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
National Pastime funnies

Post by Uecker_seats » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:32 am

Spring is here, and BASEBALL is getting into full swing. Even though the Cardinals bullpen imploded yesterday, I still love my team. Friday is "Stan Musial Harmonica Night", promo giveaway, for all attending fans 16 and over. Somehow I cannot imagine 30,000+ people trying to play "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning!? Ugh. Now with the NCAA tourney over, I am uprooting my Spoongartens in my front and side yards. I still have my Cardinals 11th World Champions banner hanging on the front porch, sun faded, it stays. One great thing about the game is all the stories and unique individuals to play the game, all the way from The Bambino to Michael Trout, the games current best overall player now. Living and growing up in St Louis, this franchise becomes a very much important and cherished part of your life. This town is also a much better city when there is post season baseball, too. One of my earliest memories at the game were the "Bud Men" shouting out COLD BEER HERE, GET YER ICE COLD BUD!!! In the old and cavernous Busch Stadium. Back then those guys used to carry around 2 full cases of long neck bottles, what a workout, espcially in the Uecker seats!! Every January, the St Louis Baseball Writers host a banquet, and over the years has become one of the hottest tickets in town. Enter the 1974 BB Writers Dinner, the 10 year anniversary of the 1964 World Series. The ' 64 team were the original "Comeback Cards" defeating the mighty Yankees and the M & M boys in the World Series, my most favorite club ever. Back in the very early 90's when mwa and future wife # 1, we lived in a small apartment before buying our home, and lived next door to Mr and Mrs Lou "Mr Scoreboard" Adamie, both are now passed. Lou ran the scoreboard for both the Browns and Cardinals for almost 50 years. The umpires always used to get on him because he used to post called balls and strikes before the home plate umpire called the pitch! He was also best friends with Dizzy Dean. The Mrs loved to tell stories, and one in paticular about the 1974 BBSWD was the most hilarious. Most all of the Yankees and Cardinals were invited to this, and most went. That years dinner was advertised as "featuring the great Mickey Mantle (The Mick). Pre dinner cocktail party starts, no Mantle. Dinner started late waiting for him, again no Mick. The late Bob Broeg, who was chairmain of Baseball's Hall of Fame Veterans Committie when he died, was MC for the evening. I comes Mantle, grossly intoxicated with two "floozies" on his arms (when Helen was telling me about this, she said kinda in a lower voice whisper:"I think they were whores!" AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! It gets better. Broeg is at the mic and exclaimed "Here he is, the great slugger Mickey Mantle! The crowd applauded, The Mic stumbled up to the podium, got the microphone away from The Bob, and starts telling F bomb jokes in front of all of the cake eaters there. Bob could't get the mic away from the big man either! Too bad Youtube hadn't been invented yet, I'm sure this would be much, much better then the Tanya Harding video. I'm supprised the didn't drive his drunken a$$ out of town, I mean this was Nixon country, and NO stores were open in the whole state 'cept 7-11's on Sundays!. I met Mickey at a card show once in the very early 90's, and it was before I heard this story or I would have asked him about it. That was right about the time too when the Mrs and I split season tickets with anouther couple, actually had pretty decent loge level tickets, anyway early in the game a bunch of suits walked by, and my wife said Joe Dimmagio just walked by her! I asked a usher if that was indeed Mr Coffee, and he sternly told me, in sort of a corrective voice "YES, AND MR DIMAGGIO DOES NOT WANT TO BE BOTHERED. Apparently The Yankee Clipper was in town for Gussie Busch's funeral. I wanted to get his autograph, damn! I saw Stan Musial unnanounced in public in the early 80's, I think a McDonalds, and he just kida grunted at me when I kindly asked for a autograph. All of these behaviors are quite fitting for great Hall of Famers, NOT!!!!