How much Tequila can I take home?

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri May 03, 2013 10:28 pm

We regularly take 3 litres each back. They have just never checked. It has been 16 years.
So are you saying you don't declare it?

spartacus_33
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: OK...

Post by spartacus_33 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:37 am

webmaster wrote:What does that mean then? That the rules are not valid, that you just have to take a risk, or that the rules are there to be broken?... :-)

Mogens
The US Customs link that I posted basically says that there are NO Federal law limits to what you can bring back. It's VERY VAGUE... where they use words like GENERALLY and MAY. It further states that where a State has restrictions... those restrictions only apply to residents of THAT state. No one AT ANY POINT questioned ANYTHING about our contents. Worst case scenario (I think) is that you may have to pay a slight duty or some tax... but it doesn't looking like anyone can TAKE your liquor.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sat May 04, 2013 2:49 am

The U.S. Federal law is such that you are allowed to being one liter of spirits in TAX FREE. Any more than that you are subject to Federal tax.

Also, U.S. Federal law defers to the State law at your point of entry. Some states also allow one liter TAX FREE with payment of State tax on anything over 1 liter. Some states allow no more than the 1 liter, not even with payment of state tax.

It gets confusing. Chuck... 8)

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sat May 04, 2013 7:22 pm

katnsocal wrote:
We regularly take 3 litres each back. They have just never checked. It has been 16 years.
So are you saying you don't declare it?
We always declare it but assume it does not attract tax/duty. We are also a way under on the other declarations for being away 2 weeks or more.