"What it was, was football!"

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
"What it was, was football!"

Post by Uecker_seats » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Even with the MLB post season in full swing, here is a real treat from the past regarding America's 2nd "National Pastime" Althought most of the readers on this board are well past 40, most of you may remember this, younger ones not so much. I have 2200+ 33 1/2 LP vinyl records in my collection, and have this on LP, which also has his classic "No Time For Sargents" Thou I am one who will LMAO for the "xxx" humor of native St Louisian Redd Foxx, or Joan Rivers, who has a real foul mouth when she plays Vegas show rooms, this goes back to a place and time when comedy, even though considered "Redneck" (or Hoosier, on in the greater StL area, used as a dergatory term and not a compliment like in Indy), fas funny W/O having to rely on profanity for belly laughs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8

I consider Andy Griffith a true "American Treasure" Quite the disiplinarian on the set, often flying off the handle and firing stage hands and grips to make a example on the set to the rest of the cast, he was a comedy genius. Mayberry was mysthical, but hugely sucessfull, a slice of Americana not seen during it's filming in the turulant 1960's In my early 80's college years, the Student Activity Council was hard up for a household name to host the Homecoming activities, so it caughed up $7500.00 USD (which is like $30K now) to fly George "Goober" Lindsey to be master of ceremonies for the weekend, which also included "The All Campus Review, MC role on his part, which I was involved in at the time with my comedy stand up magic act. In comes George backstage for the Friday night show, stinking of cheep bourbon and chain smoking Marlboro ciggaretts. First thing he did befotre the show started back stage was to go over to the drum set, took one of the cymbals off of it, and danced around wearing it, squinting his eyes and singing in Chinese! (considered a racial insult in todays politically correct world), but all the students associated with the show who saw it got a real laugh out of it. From here it all went down hill with Goober. They drove him into Houck Stadium before the Homecomeing football game in a '62 Impala gold convertable, the martching band playing the AGS theme, and a mike set up in front of the stands. Exiting the car and obviouslly still intoxicated, he slipped and fell before he reached the mic., and the crowd laughed probabaly thinking it was part of the act. when he got up, even though he did not yet have the microphone in hand, but close enough to it to where most of the assembled crowd could her him exclaim "S.O.B!!!" Some in the crowd gasped, but due to the familiarity of his character was able to tell a few stupid jokes and got the crowd back. During the game he was chasing one of the 'smokin hot cheerleaders named Jackie around the field, and we all found out later he tried to get her to go back to his hotel room with him, a real shocker at the time for a small college town in SE Missouri! Saturday nights ACR show, he read his jokes off of index cards, and refused repeated reqests from both the crowd and band to do 'JUDY JUDY JUDY JUDY". The last act was the music frat doing "Ghost Riders In The Sky", and when Geoge sat in with them on this (uninvited), he exited quickly afterwards in the waiting limo, not making good his promise to sign all autograph requests till "after the show" SEMO just spent like $2mil USD to update Academic Auditorium, which hosted George, Ed and Lorraine Warren the famous ghost hunters, Dick Gregory, and Dan Peek from America, who all played that facility when I attended. Good memories 30 years ago!

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Here is the very funny Don Knotts in a HILARIOUS bit, with a a seasonal ring to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66FlgSvAZ88

I read the multi winning Emmy winners book, and apparently he was quite the stud, claiming to have bedded thousands of women over the years who wanted to sleep with Barney Fife. Great beach read! :wink: They guy who played Lumpy Rutherford on the Beave show claims the same thing Ewww........