High season once again

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Forum...

Keep it alive?
67%
Kill!
33%
Dunno...
No votes

Total votes: 3

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
High season once again

Post by webmaster » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:05 am

So here we are in 2014, another high season and lots of work on the site (have you noticed?).

We added a new drop menu to help access it all with less steps and also so you can see there is a lot available.

We added a few photo slideshows to the main sections and I am now working on removing a bit of old site design that no longer fits in with the new layout and the menu. I'm removing the breadcrumb menu, for example and moving pictures up.

Google likes us again, after two years off the front page when searching for "puerto vallarta" we are there again, somewhere between 3 and 6, depending on your geographical location. This is certainly helping with traffic to the site, but the forum is as dead as always.

I've been pondering on whether I should just remove this section on the site, people are more into FB and other communication systems, our FB Fan Page has grown violently in the last 18 months, from under 3000 fans to now almost 40000, we have the most engaged and popular PV FB Fan page, compared to any one in town, so that's good too.

Proof:
http://screencast.com/t/fXBnCEa3A8Kq
http://screencast.com/t/ApVTdEELffm

Anyway, if there are any fora members in this ghost town, I'd like to hear from you, but personally I think this place is toast ;-)

Greetings

Mogens

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Mogens I see your point, FB seems to make a killing now days. FSN's PV board also seems to be "As Flat as a Pancake" lately, and TA has it's notorious little clique which is famous for their little snide remarks by their "Destination Experts", which apparently is quite a coveted title, and a total joke. JR is living proof of that. Repetitive questions of pesos/vs dollars, cab fares, and certain posters giving plugs over and over for their friends business's down there, as well as ganging up on other posters and getting them banned, including myself and chico98, whom opinions and postings they don't like, have been going on for at least 10 years on that sight! If this forum eventually folds, the two named above forums and Rick's will be the only ones left specific to PV happenings, and anyone who ventures over to his "Free and Open" board (RIGHHHHHT! :shock: ) knows about his major issues and instabilities, especially for the not so often reader. If VS is going to be the "face" of PV forums if this one folds, that's kinda scary dontya think? I have a feeling that this is going to be a resounding NO, with the "TA Gang" stuffing your ballot box, but hey that's not going to surprise anyone...
Regards
Ueck

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Time passes, everything passes...

Post by webmaster » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:45 pm

And yes, all things must pass...

Who is FSN?

Regarding TA, there's not much we can do against large sites like those, it was an unavoidable roadblock for us, you can do all you want on them, but they are not your site and participating on them is a double edged sword.

FB is a valid option that has to be used as much as possible, but you can't rely on that either, because it is not YOUR site.

Only option, create your own, as much as you can, that is your own, and even there you are dependent on traffic, that for the most is not yours either (as I sorrily found out the hard way these last 2 years), so as always, after almost 20 years we are back in the same place, those that have money and influence get their voices heard, the small ones lurk in the shadows and complain about it... :-) and in 1994 when I started off on the web building sites it was a brave new frontier, ironic how it all became the same old same old in the end... was to be expected anyway.

We'll see what comes out of all of this.

Greets to the ghosts on this ghost forum ;-)

M.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:53 pm

(F)ox (S)ports (N)etwork, Fox's Café Roma board, which has a very low traffic and/or postings on it. I like Fox, it was a good concept when it started but sort has "flattened out" over the last few yeas, like so many of these boards seem too do at over a period of time, the exception being Rick's board, who still has a pretty sizeable legion of followers and sycophants that still boggles the mind! I posted a thread on LP earlier today about PV's Fat Tuesday's "R" rated parade, and it got zapped off of there in less then 4 hours! Funny thing is most people who complained about it and got it pulled over there never even post on that forum! Case and point, anything close to being considered controversial gets deleted. Harry Truman coined the phrase "calling a spade a spade" but in cyberspace apparently that means very little in the faceless cyber world o modern day forum postings........

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

True

Post by webmaster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Yes, FSN is also dead... Rick's board? I imagine it's the Vallarta Scene one, which is very active, but it comes back to the same old same old, if you want a forum to stay alive, you have to keep it alive. That means posting relevant data on it daily and following up, something I have no time to do. Maybe some months in the future I may be able to finance paying someone to do it, but for now, no.

Depending on how things pan out either this forum will stay or I will move it off puertovallarta.net and leave it to fossilize somewhere as a nostalgic reference :-)

Greetings

M.