FOREVER LEFT UNTOLD

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
FOREVER LEFT UNTOLD

Post by Uecker_seats » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Fall seems to be making a brutal entrance here into the Midwest, with Halloween temps around 35f here in The Lou! Totally disappointed about the outcome of the World Series too, but that is why they play 7 games. Talk of lowing the mound next season due to dominating pitchers like Bumgartner and Kershaw, as well as adding the DH to the NL are two things I completely disagree with, especially the second change of adding the DH Not only was the game designed to be played outdoors, on grass, 9 batters 9 fielders, sorry. Had a BRILLIANT vacy in Cancun 3rd week in October (TR forthcoming), after completing a successful business project in the Deep South. Being on vacation for 7 nights, you have a tendency too loose what’s going on in the rest of the world, being busy partying with friends and meeting new friends, as well as my home away from home “family” that makes Temptation Resort and spa so magical. I spoke with my mom briefly before game five of this season’s Fall Classic, and she made no mention to me of the tragedy that had just made breaking news all over the world, but she did text me during the third inning of the game about the very unfortunate passing of Cardinal rookie outfielder Oscar Tavares at 22, along with his girlfriend, only 18 years old, killed in a fatal MVA in the DR. The above title of this thread was the headline in the sports section of the St Louis Post Dispatch when the story broke. Needless to say, a huge rush of emotion after hearing this very sad news, and fortunately a friend of mine and I were watching the game while I was still OOT, so that helped a bit. Roberto Clemente, after getting his 3000th hit at the end of the 1972 season, was killed in a plane crash several weeks after the season ended, while delivering emergency food and medical supplies to his fellow countrymen. I remember that, but at 9 years old still a kid in dealing and trying to fully comprehend that. I also remember Jim Croce killed the following summer in a small engine plane crash. The closest thing I can relate to as far such a painful, tragic loss is in 1980 when NY Yankees team captain Thurman Munson was killed in a small plane he was piloting. I remember the SRO crowd at Yankee Stadium the next nigh giving him a 20 minute standing ovation. I also remember how when the Yankees took the field that night the catchers position remained vacant through the entire memorial service , and also seeing Lou Piniella, one of his best friends, weeping profusely standing in his left field position. That’s how I felt when I heard the news of the passing of Oscar. No one will ever know what he could have achieved on the field, or in life. If the Cardinals would have been able to defeat the Gigiantes in the NLCS, he would have been in St Louis or Kansas City. The Lord works in mysterious ways, but this I cannot surely fathom. May God rest these young people’s souls; it is truly a heartbreaking loss. IMHO, the Cardinals need to retire his # 18.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:36 am

Dominican officials reported today Tavares was 5 times the legal limit when he crashed his Chevy sports car one of the island's highways. The previous Cardinal to die while on the roster was Josh Hancock in 2007, also drunk when he slammed his car into a towing truck, first responders initially identified him by his World Series ring he was wearing.

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:33 am

I'm like Bernie here my emotions are still all over the place. This shook me really hard and I too am still terribly upset of the loss here having openly wept when I heard about this tragedy, what a shitty way to end a otherwise wonderful Mexican holiday with friends and family. People from Cardinal Nation know if you live here, especially growing up with and being blessed with great franchise that is passed down from generation to generation, when something like this happens it not only diminishes our community, but a way of life and spirit that brings so much to this town.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... efa7b.html