It's a shame...

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
It's a shame...

Post by canucker » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:51 am

It's too bad this forum lost its life. I really miss some of the reports and conversations about PV.

Most forums have those members that feel they have an obligation to advise newer, or less dominant ones. That usually is the beginning of the end.

I miss being there, even if just in memory or vicariously through this forum.

Puerto Vallarta is so different to different people. It doesn't matter though, hearing a different experience adds to mine.

I am hoping to stay down in PV for most of the winter. It's still a Five Year Plan, but we're working on it!!!

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Same group but bigger still going semi-strong (except for June-September summer time) on Rick's Vallartascene board.

We still do the meet ups, and get answers to our questions there..

Facebook and the death of a few owners pretty much done in a whole pile of the boards. Ahhhh progress. :evil: :evil:

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:14 pm

Just to notate for the casual observer, vallartascent.com's patronage has been declining steadily for the last few years. A lot of posters on TA don't even have FB pages, even one of the most notorious posters over there have completely deleted their FB account., so there you go...

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canucker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:35 am

It's obvious we're hooked, booked for January on Sunday. PV is a hard habit to break!!!

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Yes, PV is a really special place to go. Kathy and I like to go in the Summer when it is H O T and there are thunder storms in the afternoon and H O T and sunny the rest of the day. Those cervesas go gown so smooth!

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: It's a shame...

Post by Uecker_seats » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:38 pm

JR must really be bummin' since Roger from Alaska's is closing and going to work at Morditas. I'll bet Rick just loves this, I can just see the smirk on his face because of the ever shrinking list of establishments where JR can drink for free! Getting anything free at that greasy spoon would like be getting free food at a Chinese restaurant! LOL!

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:20 am

Taking our group at work back to PV on January 1st, 2017 again... We get great service at the GCP and it now feels like home for all of us. Best thing that happens to all of us each year.

I hope Rick works everything out ok with him and Roger.. We always visit him and Sarah a few times each vacation period that we are in PV and his business keeps getting bigger each time. Prices are right, the food is excellent, and they really are good people.

Newer technology seems to have cut into all of these boards big time including this one and Rick's.. Trip Advisor really is not something for me, and since I'm not a great fan of Facebook I'll just have to wait till we see all of our friends again to catch up on old news.

You enjoying baseball this year Todd? I pretty much watch every Toronto Blue Jays game, and took in a game this summer when they played the Orioles. And they won it..

Uecker_seats
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Uecker_seats » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:52 pm

Umm......Ronald.........You want to be my friend or something now? Given your abuse you have given to me over the boards over the years, and also since you are one of those ever diminishing specimens that are tight with both Rick and JR, I don't think I'd ever be able to warm up to you, even if we were cremated together. You do, however make a good point about large groups at the GCP. About 10 years ago down there one spring there was a group from Dobbs Tire and Auto (St Louis based company) , and that group made it miserable for just about everyone else for the week, including the staff. If I'm not mistaken I think they have since been barred from that property.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 pm

Actually, I'm just trying to be civil, given there are only two or at most four on this board left reading this.

Our group is going for our third time, and are definitely welcomed by the management and staff.. Most likely because ½ of the group don't drink at all, and the rest of us very little. It's the AI convenience, great beach (for PV), and the place that we seem to agree we like.

I do know what of you are writing about when you say large groups can be quite abusive and noisy. We've seen that a few places, including at the GCP last time (they were Mexicans from Mexico City). Maybe their behaviour was so bad that ours came out shining :lol: ... but I doubt it. Anybody that misbehaved I would not bring back, (and I'm paying for it).

harry
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by harry » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 pm

I agree, it really is too bad. Getting ready for the annual late October trip to PV and thought there might be something useful posted. But nothing for a long time. The last restaurant review was by me for the Old Town Bistro in November 2013. Sadly it did not last. Last year everybody's (?) friend, Bruce, had a couple of new ones in old town. Gave up on Teatro Limon, I guess.

Really miss the barbs, zingers, and sometimes useful information on the Forum. Harry

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teatrolimon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Teatro Limon is open, On the contrary !!

Bruce

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Chevy Man » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Good to know! :D

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Yes, times change, plus I must admit my own blame in not knowing how to keep things rolling, maybe more a matter of not having the time and money to monitor and make the forum thrive. We should have updated the software, we should have had moderators, we should have posted and followed up, as we currently do on our FB fanpage.

Fora are a bit old-fashioned, I like them, but most people are now moving over to their cellphones and are not very adept to writing, something that represents the "older" generations... so anyway. The forum is now up to date, but monitoring is not, as you can see by my two month gap in replying. I will see if the system can send me an e-mail message so I can be informed of updates, but I know it's a bit too little too late.

So anyway, we all invest our energy where it gives most results and currently Facebook is that place.

Kind regards to you all,

Mogens

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Mon May 01, 2017 4:49 pm

Great to hear from you, Mogens. Maybe this will work? Thanks. Chuck

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu May 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi Chuck,

Still around here on the site, though the forum is not my forte (more on Facebook) and you can always contact me at info@puertovallarta.net

Greetings

Mogens

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teatrolimon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:58 pm

You see, the people that used to devalue one another have left

welcome back Mogens

Bruce

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Bruce,

Hope all is going fine with your fine restaurant [rocks].

This forum stopped being the go-to place for PV thanks to a mix of elements, but most of them (in hindsight) were of my making. First off, when we were dependent on the tourism board, their homophobic stance at the time forced me to clamp down on gay subjects on the forum and that created a big exodus in the early 2000s, from that many fora arose, I can remember one by Jennybean, but there are more, most defunct by now (if not all). After that, I changed the forum software to phpBB, a system that did not send an e-mail message each time someone posted on the site, so I became distracted and worked on other things while the posts were not responded.

As the internet has evolved, people expected faster and faster responses, so that was negative.

Another way you can keep a forum alive is by stocking the flames, by posting news, ideas, comments, keeping the threads alive, something I didn't do but have seen in other more successful fora.

When Social media took off, that was the last nail in the coffin for this forum, I concentrated even more on other ways to grab attention and developed PV social media profiles that are quite effective in keeping the conversation alive, promoting the site and mainly PV as a whole, including places outside Jalisco, something people from those areas do not appreciate :shock:

Anyway, some die-hard forum users are still around :lol: but I think things have definitely moved on and I keep this section on site as it still includes relevant information and can be found via search engines.

So that's my point of view on what's the current state of affairs here in the fossilized forum.

Greetings

Webhamster