Living in Puerto Vallarta

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

melissa
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Living in Puerto Vallarta

Post by melissa » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:30 am

Currently I live In Canada, and I want to move to Puerto Vallarta, what do I have to do in order to move there>>Any suggestions would be great..THANKS!

Melissa

canadianchick

Re:Living in Puerto Vallarta

Post by canadianchick » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:21 pm

Melissa (Feb 24, 2004 02:30 a.m.):
Currently I live In Canada, and I want to move to Puerto Vallarta, what do I have to do in order to move there>>Any suggestions would be great..THANKS!

Melissa
Hi Melissa! I can't offer any help at all, but I'm with you! I have fallen in love with PV and also want to move there! I'll keep checking back... in case some good info comes up! A girlfriend of mine was in PV the week before I was (end of Jan) and she met a whack of Canadians living down there who offered some great advice... we're meeting up in the next week or two so I'll keep you posted if she gives me any good info/advice. Salud!

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:38 am

A guy named Rolly Brook has a lot of stuff on moving to Mexico. Click on the "How to Move to México" link at http://www.rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm

slippery- pete

Post by slippery- pete » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:49 am

You need to save a bunch of money as its hard to make it here

sandra
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sandra » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:47 am

HI MELISSA. WELL, CHECK MY BIO, YOU´LL SEE I ALREADY LIVE HERE. IF YOU WANT ADVICE OR A FRIEND SEND ME AN E-MAIL, OK????? BYE.

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Thu May 13, 2004 2:30 am

hi melissa! lol i am also moving down there so when u find out some info on moving, let me know!

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Thu May 13, 2004 2:30 am

ps i am also from canada. where ya from?

Jillybean76

Post by Jillybean76 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:08 pm

I am another Canadian female that has fallen in love with Puerto Vallarta, I want very much to live there, but I hear it is hard to find employment. Any tips, as to where to look......employment offices.....etc?? I am returning in August in hopes that I will be able to find a job, I am wanting to spend at least one winter far away from the snow and cold! Anything that anyone has that might be of help feel free to contact me through email or even just a reply. Thanks

manfred from ottawa/ca

Post by manfred from ottawa/ca » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:15 pm

you are dreaming my dear .no jobs for gringos (maybe Time share sales) most long therm snowbirds are retired people with a nice big pension LOL. go & spend 1-2 months as tourist in PV. and check things out . maybe you find a sugardaddy LOL

canadianchiquita
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canadianchiquita » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:37 pm

Find a Sugar Daddy in PV? I am always asked if I want to be a Sugar Mama. LOL
"Senorita, you want Mexican boyfriend"?

manfred from ottawa/ca

Post by manfred from ottawa/ca » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:53 pm

Canadian Chiquita (Jun 23, 2004 12:37 p.m.):
Find a Sugar Daddy in PV? I am always asked if I want to be a Sugar Mama. LOL
"Senorita, you want Mexican boyfriend"?
cc you are sweet & sexy no wonder all the mexican man love you!!!!only sugarmama most have lots of pesos LOL

canadianchiquita
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canadianchiquita » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:01 pm

Ohhhhhh senor Manfred you want Canadian girlfriend???

klsm

Post by klsm » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:44 pm

I lived in PV for 9 months. I'm from Canada and Worked at a hotel, doing activties...money isnt great, its enough for basic needs but not much else. It is a great place to work, if you look hard enough there is jobs for Canadians, but its probably easier to look once you are down there. It was better for me when i moved I knew someone down there so i wasn't completely in hte dark, and he helped me find a place to live. Not knowing spanish i think was the hardest thing...it would be hard to find a place to live perhaps and the daily stuff that is easy to do is no longer as easy.

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:33 pm

i'm from canada too and looking into moving to pv. what hotel did you work at? and where did you live? i have a job probably and a place to live, but im interested in how others have done it!

Slippery.pete

Post by Slippery.pete » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:01 am

Ok girls/peoples a word of advice from an oldtimer. EVERYONE loves PV and wants to live here. You need dinero to be able to pay your rent and eat. The jobs that are available here to you are very low paid. i have seen this so many times where young people or young families give up everything to move here thinking they are going to make money. Don't listen to the slime scare people, most are full of ca ca if you know what i mean. Take everything you hear from Mexicana and non Mexicans with a pinche of salt. I have never met anyone make any money working at slime scare. They will tell you that you will make $3,000 US a month. Just use your heads as i have seen too many people either get thrown out of PV or left homesless with nothing to fall back on. I suggest coming for 2 - 3 months to test the waters. Hours are long here for your $5.00 US a day. Its hard to make a living. Just telling the facts. Seen too many people come here with stars in there eyes. Great place for a vacation and great to live here but do your homework first. Or wait until you retire OK.

pmt

Post by pmt » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:09 am

The above advice will be absolutely, the best and most correct advise you will ever receive. I have lived here 14 years and have seen over and over and over and over young girls coming down here with stars in their eyes and ending up with nothing, not even enough money to get back home. Spend a few months, see how it goes, LEARN SPANISH and go from there!

anni

Post by anni » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:35 am

I agree 100% with the above messages. PV is not a cheap place to live neither. Please keep that in perspective. Wages are low and rent is high. It is a kind of place to live for retired non mexicans with income. Not many good jobs here and the ones that are good usually go to the Mexican people of course. Summertime is dead here. What will you do for money then? it is only busy for a few months a year. Remember that before you come please do.

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:44 pm

but that's not to say totally that it COULDN'T happen. i mean some people like to take a risk and try new things. ya i'm sure it's VERY HARD, i've already considered that, but i mean life wasn't meant to be easy. i say if you really want something, you have to work for it because no one is just going to hand it to you. i mean wouldn't it be nice if someone just offered you a new condo in pv, and a job managing some great hotel, and all the money you could spend. but duh that won't happen! (i wish) i know that you guys are just trying to look out for people's best interest, but still if you REALLY wanted to do it, i'm sure you could.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:18 pm

Having gone to Vallarta quite a few times, having office colleagues living in Vallarta, I can say it is not more expensive than Guadalajara (GDL), actually GDL is more expensive, specially renting a house or apartment. Anyway, there are quite a few of those on this board, including me, that are foreigners in Mexico, so we are a living example of the fact that you can live, survive and thrive here. It depends on what you expect in terms of living standards and also depends on what skills you have to offer. If you want to rely on offering technical skills, you'll have a hard time. If you are a skilled professional, you could really be competitive compared to locals, specially if you are skilled in languages (not the typical attitude of "I know English, why should I learn any other language?" which is sadly very common).

So my recommendation is: if you are arriving without money (as was my case, arrived with all I had in one suitcase) you really need to be skilled in some competitive, up-to-date activity. My wife for example started off working in a great job because she had a lot of experience and modern skills in human resources and compensations, that no local of her age came even close to have. Be competitive and very skilled and you should be able to get a job and a work visa soon, though you'll have to work real hard to get it. If you have money and a great idea you could start a business and use this as your starting point to obtain a legal work visa in the country. If you are non-professional, not very skilled, no extra languages besides English, with no money... maybe it's best to come down here on a long vacation, maybe stay a few months and see if you can make ends meet, but that will require a bit of luck and even more hard work.

Kind regards

Mogens
Webhamster

klsm

Post by klsm » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:24 pm

I posted already but there are far too many negativ eposts on this thread. There is bad stuff about living there but it doesnt have to cost a million dollars. If you are willing to lower your standards and have a lesser quality of life then it is not bad. I lived in a nice apartment with a roommate and paid around 250 US (thats the rent split in half). It was a nice aprtment, had a pool, but also had ants and geckos, get used to it. I made around 600 US a month working at a hotel. I dont know if this is average or a lot but it is enough to get by on. I had savings in the bank for when i first went and didn't have a job. One thing about the money and living there forever is i dont know how you would save money for something big, or have enoguh money for a family but i didn't have to worry about it. Knowing spanish I might have been able to egt a better job, or at least would have made life more interesting. you have to be offered a job before you can get your FM-3 work permit and then the company helps you do all the paperwork. I loved living in PV, I don't htink it is as hard as everybody says but remember you will have the same problems here as you do at home...life wasn't perfect for me here but at least there was a beach.