Sand Stingers

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Sand Stingers

Post by canucker » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:20 am

We were sitting on Mismaloya beach having lunch and a couple of margaritas when all of a sudden there was a sharp stinging pain in the bottom of my foot. I flicked something off the bottom of my foot and had to remove what looked like miniature rose thorn. I quickly applied a slice of lime and the pain subsided in 1/2 an hour. We went snorkeling from Mismaloya last Thursday and when we were leaving, there was a young boy screaming as his mother was taking out a stinger.

Does anyone know what kind of insect lives under the sand that puts a sting on feet that get too close?

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:Sand Stingers

Post by webmaster » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:10 pm

Sounds like you stepped on a bee. I guess a bee was trodding along in the sand and you placed your foot on it. The bees leave their stinger on your skin and they look like what you describe. Other than that there really aren't underground sand insects that sting like you describe, not that I know of (and I am a biologist).

Greetings

Mogens

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canucker » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:52 am

Thanks Mogens.

I conversed with some friends of mine who frequent PV and that was the same conclusion we came up with. It seemed as though the bee or what ever was under the sand at the time though. Maybe the magaritas made it look that way. Nada un problema!!

Charlieb

Post by Charlieb » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:30 am

I came across the same thing last year while visiting The Bay of Islands, North Island New Zealand. There were these "things" that lived in the sand and would come out and sting. They would also jump on your leg or ankle to sting. Black..about the size of 3 grains of rice. The locals had no idea what they were. Any idea Mogens? Thanks.