Local Children

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Budweiser
Local Children

Post by Budweiser » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:37 am

I read on the forums several months ago about the local children selling stuff on the streets.
Someone had recomended bringing toys for these kids to give them...is that still a good recomendation?

bzy1inpv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:Local Children

Post by bzy1inpv » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:36 am

I never buy from them, instead I give them bananas, oranges or fruit. I never give them candy as the parents probably cannot afford dental care.. toys are good, but I think fruit is better...most are hungry and they never turn down my offerings. Of course, I would probably want a toy :)

stew

A suggestion for the kids

Post by stew » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:58 am

I spend a lot of time in the Zihuatanejo area. There most of the schools need supplies desperatly. They also accept clothing, shoes, books, paper etc. & money to purchase lunches. The only way many kids can attend school is to have someone purchase uniforms & shoes for them. Public schools in Mexico are NOT free, One group I know of is building a Library in Barrea de Potasi. I am sure there are such groups in PV. If you give to the street beggers that is all they know leaving them with no pride. It is far better to give to an organization then directly to individuals. Please consider this instead of giving money to beggers.

budweiser
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by budweiser » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:45 pm

Well thanks...we have a whole bunch of extra school supplies...will load up the spare suitcase and make sure it finds it way to good use. Will bring a few small toys for the kids too...tis the season!

bzy1inpv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by bzy1inpv » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:39 am

School supplies can be dropped off at the San Javier Hospital to the Global Ambulance company (right in the front door to the right side) to Pamela. She is a part of a group that adopted a very needy school and she would be thrilled to have any donations for the kids.