Montezuma’s Revenge Prevention

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

liqning
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by liqning » Tue May 17, 2005 5:45 pm

Tuesday May 17, 2005
The Province Newspaper
Vancouver British Columbia

Quote: Houston – A drug already used to treat that tourist nightmare – traveller’s diarrhea – may also prevent it without causing the antibiotic resistance that can eventually make medicines ineffective, new research suggests.
The study showed that the antibiotic rifaximin prevented the troublesome condition in about 85 percent of the people who took it.
The experiment involved 210 American students studying Spanish in Guadalajara, Mexico, during the summer of 2003. Just under 15 per cent of the students who took rifaximin for two weeks suffered from diarrhea, while nearly 54 per cent of those who took placebos came down with the illness.
Antibiotics have been used for years to treat traveller’s diarrhea because it is caused by bacteria found in local food and water.
But the study printed today in the Annals of Internal Medicine said it’s also an effective preventive step.
“People who get decked all the time [by traveller’s diarrhea] tend not to travel’” said lead author Dr. Herbert DuPont of the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. “This would allow these people to enjoy a travelling life.” End of Quote

Off the web is another new 'rage' called Dukoral. It is apparently by prescription and not cheap ($75 for the 2 doses). You dissolve a pouch of fizzy alka-seltzer like powder in water; add a little vial of the actual Dukoral, mix and drink. It comes in 2 doses, ideally you take 1 dose 2 weeks before you go, and the other a week before you go. My own family doctor had not heard of this product and it may only be available in the USA. Personally I ate yogurt each morning for two weeks prior to our trip and each morning while in Puerto Vallarta. We also ensured that we drank a shot or two of tequila to kill anything else each evening before retiring for the night. Or so the excuse went. Anyways, we ate off resort many times and never had a problem. To each their own but I would not bother taking anything unless after the fact. We did take hepatitis A & B shots that are good for life.

stew

Re:Montezuma’s Revenge Prevention

Post by stew » Tue May 17, 2005 5:59 pm

In 1985 Mrs. GloriaWhiting owner of Los Cuatro Vientos told me about Bactrim "F" available in any Farmecia, 14 tablets about 80 pesos. It is a sulpha drug & my cardiologist & my MD both approve of my taking it. I take one tablet every other day while in Mexico. I have nevr gotten MR in twenty years. Last year a numbe of my friends in Zihuatanejo were getting sick with a flu like symptom. I fely it comming on one AM on awaking. I took 2 Bectrim, along with asprin. spent the day in bed drinking lots lof liquids, taking a thrid Bactrim in the afternoon along with more asprin. By evening I felt well enough to go out to dinner. Try it! It works wonders

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Tue May 17, 2005 8:47 pm

I find yogurt, lots of water, and "Mexico" (ie: sun, drinks, rich food) in small doses until my stomach has had a chance to settle from the long flight works as well as any perscription. And I also carry acidophilus tablets (bought in any drug store in the vitamins aisle) and Pepto with me as precaution for anything that the yogurt wasn't able to control.

I get my calcium AND a healthy stomach every trip. (-:

(as you can tell I'm not a big fan of pharmeceutical remedies unless absolutely necessary LOL)

amigoshermana

Post by amigoshermana » Tue May 17, 2005 10:03 pm

We have been going to PV for over 15 years now. The only time we were sick was when we genuinely had the flu. It was going around and lcals were getting it too. This is only my opinion but I think it is safer to eat in a restaurant off a resort rather than at an all inclusive buffet. Sometimes that food sits out in the sun for a mighty long time. There are also insects flying around all the time. This past year the wasps were terrible. Went to visit relatives staying at an AI and you could hardly see the french toast for the wasps. We eat yogurt alot too but we eat it alot here. (Breakfast is outmeal with french vanilla yogurt on top).

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue May 17, 2005 10:44 pm

there is a lot of wive's tales here, or whatever you want to call it.... one of the major things we have found out when people complain about Montezuma's revenge is this... when you are at home (this is especially for people at all inclusives), do you start drinking at 900 am everyday... NO... do you have that big breakfast every day... NO... how about some of the lunches and snacks all day long... NO... how about all the different cocktails and mixologies that goes on here.... NO... do you eat all that shrimp you want when you are at home, or have lobster every other night... the answer is NO and NO and NO... so why are you doing it here... yes you are on vacation .. and yes you want to experience all the wonders of Vallarta or your resort has to offer... but in moderation... in the twelve years that we have been coming down here, i can say only once that i was miserable... but then again i went out to Pipi's drank a few beers, then a huge margarita (well maybe two or ???) then one of their wonderful fajita's will all the onions, peppers, etc etc etc... and the next day... well you can only imagine... but think about... your body is used to a certain style of food, your digestive system is sensitive to changes... and when you make a major change like this.. it is only going to rebel against you.... just like they alwasy say... in moderation...

this is just my opinion on all the travels the we have taken over the years.. and that includes Jamaica as well... so please don't just blame Montezuma... he didn't have anything to do with it.... he has been long gone for centuries....

have a great time....

stew

Mr/Mrs Crown

Post by stew » Tue May 17, 2005 10:59 pm

You hit it on the head. I remember back in the days I partcipated in such practices I spent many a day sick on St Martin in the West Indies after a day of boozing, over eating rich food & other nonsense. Thank God I had given up such stuff before I ever came to Mexico.

beach_girl13

Post by beach_girl13 » Wed May 18, 2005 2:13 am

You forgot the extended sun exposure...sun burns....fear of drinking water leading to dehydration...and yeah the food when you eat out EVERYDAY no matter where you are it HURTS. Or you can believe the myth...Moctezuma the last Aztec chief and many other Aztecs were killed in a river on Noche Triste by Cortez and his men. Foreigners beware ha ha ha! My stomach has been "unsettled" in PV but hmmm think that was all the beer I had. Immodium AD works too if you want to take an over the counter pill.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed May 18, 2005 2:49 am

I do recommend agua de jamaica for relief of foot swelling though. It's an excellent natural diuretic.

liqning
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by liqning » Wed May 18, 2005 4:46 pm

Well isn’t this a provocative post? Talk about people “running” with the subject. I apologize for using the Montezuma moniker for the slang name of diarrhea. No offence nor disrespect was intended to the great chief. Your diet regime is just as important before, during, and sadly after your trip when those extra pounds of weight are objectionable. Now I do agree with the Crowns that replacing your regular diet with an obnoxious diet of excessive culinary debauchery is obviously going to affect the old personal furnace. Yes I did eat a big breakfast, ate carefully and drank water throughout the day, and topped that off with grazing at the buffet in the evening. At the Royal DeCameron there was always fresh food and no supplemental protein flies. Yes I did drink copious amounts of alcohol at all hours that I agree can affect the plumbing. Luckily I do not have many complaints with irritable bowel syndrome. Some previous travelers I have met did get projectile/explosive diarrhea that made some of them somewhat amused for the first eight hours or so after which medication and water fixed them right up. I wish to travel further inland in future years and I am fully aware of what physically happens when you have extended visits to other areas of the continent. Whether you go across country in Canada or the USA there will always be a difference in the flue bugs etcetera. When I relocated from Toronto, Ontario to Vancouver, British Columbia myself and my whole family were constantly sick for about three years. We have a very busy international airport that introduces many new viruses to the communities. My post was intended as information only. At the age of 50 minding the back door is important to healthy living.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Mon May 23, 2005 12:50 am

As a labrat that has worked in microbiology for the greater part of my life, I am going to throw out something for you all to think about. Those dreaded gastric illnesses, wether upper or lower, can happen. My take on it is mostley over-indulgence. If you would think about it, most foods are prepped, cooked and served in other than single servings, especially in a buffet situation. As in the "clean" developed world, I'm sure you have heard of outbreaks of Hepatitis A, Shigella, Salmonella, Campylobacter and E.coli
0157:H7. Most of the times these will make a great number of people sick instead of 1 or 2 people. I am sure most of the intestinal complaints are due to drinking too much alcohol, not enough water and eating things that you are not used to. BTW, never been sick when in Mexico, but have been that way in the US, hum? Maybe for my health I should live in PV?

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Mon May 23, 2005 2:55 am

Chuck, what about building up your resistance, that is, drinking alcohol on a regular basis so that when you go down to PV nothing is different. That is what I do and have never had any problems.

gmac
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by gmac » Mon May 23, 2005 8:42 pm

You have to keep hydrated when drinking, I try to drink a glass of water for every drink i consume. It's very easy not to get enough water when your twisting off at the bar.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun May 29, 2005 2:04 am

randyintucson (May 22, 2005 10:55 p.m.):
Chuck, what about building up your resistance, that is, drinking alcohol on a regular basis so that when you go down to PV nothing is different. That is what I do and have never had any problems.
Trust me, my tollerance is very high since I practice as often as I can. I do find it benificial to yes, consume 2-3 litres of H20 during the day.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Sun May 29, 2005 10:58 am

Ligning , thanks for the info and your humorous reply. It was a good start to a Sunday morning. We've been quite fortunate in our travels to Mexico , the one exception caused by my own stupidity a case of dehydration. Just as a precaution I always pop a immodium before our return flight. Anything to avoid those stinky airplane washrooms. We had one particularly nasty return flight where we were sitting so close to the washrooms the smell was disgusting . As a backup to my immodium plan I always carry a roll of toilet paper in my carry on . The price one pays for a few weeks of fun in PVR . :)

amigoshermana

Post by amigoshermana » Mon May 30, 2005 5:59 pm

Funny you should mention toilet paper. We always have something either in my purse or Ken's pocket. It seems there is always a place that has run out of toilet paper. It is not so bad now but several years ago it was more common to see an empty roll than a roll with anything on it. Lots of places now have those industrial size rolls that hardly ever run out. Best to be prepared though!

stew

Post by stew » Mon May 30, 2005 6:22 pm

amigoshermana (May 30, 2005 01:59 p.m.):
Funny you should mention toilet paper. We always have something either in my purse or Ken's pockrt Best to be prepared though!
If you travel by bus or just out in the country side NEVER go without a roll! Many small villages have none & the pay banos will only "give" you a sheet or two.

liqning
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by liqning » Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm

Ah, the little post that could. Smitty, I’m glad I could enlighten your day. Remember the fascination of finding out that going potty was number one, number two, and oh my gosh, number three???? Whee!

For those people who thought “loose stools” were un-bolted down seats in some red neck bar here is a link for “Travellers Diarrhea” at http://familydoctor.org/182.xml.

We also carry a roll of toilet paper in a plastic bag on our trips. Believe me it didn’t take three children to figure that one out. When camping you can also roll out strips of toilet paper on the ground to outline pathways at your campsite, as it is quite luminous at night.

Since we are into the potty humour here is another tip. If you eat extra spicy food for dinner put a roll of toilet paper in the freezer. The next morning it will help cool off any burning sensations.