What's up with trash resort reports on TripAdvisor.

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God
What's up with trash resort reports on TripAdvisor.

Post by chuck » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:55 pm

This is kind of shout out to Mr&Mrs GCP and anyone who wants to chime in.
This weekend I visited TripAdvisor for the 1st time in about 6 months and was appalled at some low scores on various resorts I've stayed at in the last 3 years.
:?: :?: :?: How does it happen that someone has such a horrible experience to rate a "1"or if possible a "0", when others are posting scores of "5+".
For instance, the GCP, a resort that I and many other people continue to return to time and time again, received several "1s & 2s". That not being bad enough, saying the service would suck if you did not tip the workers, dirty rooms, no towels, bad or recycled food :?: , rude front desk personel ect.ect.ect. For a while I had to think they had the GCP mixed up with some other resort in some other town. And OMG! :roll: reports of "we got sick after 2-3 days of eating their food :roll: ." |:-| One reporter even was quoted as saying " I wouldn't even return there even if the offered it free."
This is not limited to just this resort, all of those that we have visited on the Riviera Maya shared the same results.
:soapbox: I just have to say, there are certain people who SHOULD NOT
vacation in Mexico and free up those spots for those of us who really like our favorite vacation country. :-X

suebruce
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: What's up with trash resort reports on TripAdvisor.

Post by suebruce » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:29 pm

chuck wrote: :soapbox: I just have to say, there are certain people who SHOULD NOT
vacation in Mexico and free up those spots for those of us who really like our favorite vacation country. :-X
I have to say I think these people are just spoiled babys that should have stayed home :evil:

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Liars , Liars , Pants On Fire

Post by smitty » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:44 pm

On a return flight home we sat behind a couple that stayed at the same resort as us . We observed them throughout the week , chowing down , drinking etc . Generally having a very fun vacation. On the airplane many people were comparing the resorts they stayed at. This couple recounted what a terrible week they had , lousy food , drinks etc. People just like to complain . :?:

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:32 pm

I'll add my thoughts as well. As said before, there are some people who just like to complain and you couldn't please them no matter what.
As for getting sick on resort food, oh please, you can get sick at home eating poorly prepared food and every summer you hear of at least a couple of cases where restaurants have been closed down temporarily because someone got sick eating there.
Most of the people who get sick at the resorts are getting sick because they are sitting in the sun all day drinking earlier and more booze than usual and don't drink enough water. Most of the time they are dehydrated and blame the food for all their problems.
Just my humble opinion. Image
Joyce

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:40 pm

Mr. Crown and I have determined that there are certain people that are unhappy no matter where they are or what they do. I agree with Chuck that they should stay home. We met a mother/daughter one time that delibertly looks for something wrong with the hotel and/or makes things up to get money back or a refund. That was the wrong thing to say to me. I think the woman wished she never met me. A vacation is what you want to make of it. We love the country, the people, the weather, the guests, the food, etc. To me there is no such thing as a bad day in paradise at the GCP!!!

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 am

travelbug_jp wrote: Most of the people who get sick at the resorts are getting sick because they are sitting in the sun all day drinking earlier and more booze than usual and don't drink enough water. Most of the time they are dehydrated and blame the food for all their problems.
I can't agree more. I for one have gotten sick the last three years I have gone to PV I never blame it on the resort. It has always happened after getting way to much sun and continues until I spend a day in the shade and re-hydrate. I have also notice my tolerance for the sun has been less since the first time I got sick. Now I could blame it on the resort but it really is the fact that my brain has gotten fried by the sun (& Tequila :lol: )

As the saying goes Opinions are like A$#^oles, everyones got one!

Condor :wink:

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:18 am

YO Chuck, big shout back to you as well. That is one of the many reasons i HATE, DESPISE, etc TripAdvisor... one of the things with that website, you can post all the negativity you want, and not one person can rebute your comments. and if you try to post something, oh you already posted about this resort in this time frame... to me that is just plain rotten business...

That is why Ana, Angie, and the rest of the staff called us at home last fall... because they knew we could rally the troups to blast the GCP flamers.... but i don't know how to beat the TA.com bone heads...

and yes we have seen where nobody is happy... and yet the place is full, and there are so many repeat guests that keep coming back every year once or twice or more times each year... HELLO...

8) tom aka mr. crown...

i will go back out and check again... but what i usually do as well... vote NO each time i see a flamer...

travelgirl
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by travelgirl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

I do not think you are being fair to some of the people who have ligitimate complaints on this board. I have been down to PV 12 years - and the last two years we have stayed at the GCP. I posted a complaint on Tripadvisor because our room was substandard as well as our linens and towels were shabby and worn. I beg to differ with you that we are cry babies........as I have stayed at many many places in my lifetime and I feel that 99% of the time I am easy to satisfy. When reading these boards about the GCP I note that most of you know the staff and I feel you are given special treatment such as the better rooms. I think their service is excellent all around and I have no complaints about that or the food or the pool or anything else. That is why we returned this year. However, I feel that for the money we paid and for the rating that the GCP is given the room/towels/linens could have been better. I am sure that when you are a returning customer they do make special efforts. Don't be so hard on those of us that try to give constructive critiques. There was a reason why we returned to GCP and we will definitely consider going back in the future if we can secure a different room this time.

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:05 am

well I need to have my two cents in here as well. When we started to think about going to pv tyler started researching. the two sites he went to were this one and tripadvisor he found very negative stuff there and very positive stuff here. So he chose to ask ? here and got some great advice when we arrived in pv I would have to say about 95 per cent of the stuff he read here and advice he got was right on the money so that means we never witnessed nor saw any of the complaints he read on tripadvisor.

An example we came across a place called lazy lizard/restraunt/beach/bar. We read some not so nice things about it. So when we came across it in pv the manager/owner was standing right in the front he talked to us for about half an hour so tyler kinda jokingly told him about all the complaints he read on tripadvisor and the owner was aware of this and had emails into the ppl who run in. This place became our favorite spot every day.

I understand something I like someone else might not but is that a genuine reason to complaine because if it is man o man do have some complaints. lol just kidding

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:04 am

I have been to tripadvisor maybe 3 or 4 times.
Because of this thread I decided to go again and have a peak.
I pulled up 4 Resorts.
2 star to 5 star Resorts.
Some gave good reports some bad about each Resort. (Even complaints at the 5 stars) :shock:

I do like to see complaints if they are legit along with the good reports..
I appreciate all trip Reports because someone is taking the time .
We then are left to make our own decision of where we want to stay.

I do agree that some people just plain like to complain all of the time .
We all go out of our way to avoid sitting beside complainers at meals at the pool etc.... They just are no fun at all.
Just my humbles :)

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:23 pm

travelgirl wrote:I do not think you are being fair to some of the people who have ligitimate complaints on this board. I have been down to PV 12 years - and the last two years we have stayed at the GCP. I posted a complaint on Tripadvisor because our room was substandard as well as our linens and towels were shabby and worn. I beg to differ with you that we are cry babies........as I have stayed at many many places in my lifetime and I feel that 99% of the time I am easy to satisfy. When reading these boards about the GCP I note that most of you know the staff and I feel you are given special treatment such as the better rooms. I think their service is excellent all around and I have no complaints about that or the food or the pool or anything else. That is why we returned this year. However, I feel that for the money we paid and for the rating that the GCP is given the room/towels/linens could have been better. I am sure that when you are a returning customer they do make special efforts. Don't be so hard on those of us that try to give constructive critiques. There was a reason why we returned to GCP and we will definitely consider going back in the future if we can secure a different room this time.
we have beenc coming down to Mexico for almost 15 yrs, we started in Matzalan, the did a cruise to the eastern side, then in Nuevo Vallarta, and now into Puerto Vallarta and the Golden Crown Paradise. come april 22nd this will be our 10 visit to the resort. and there may be times we do get some upgrades or some preferential treatment. But we don't go looking for it or asking for it. Yes we have gotten to know the staff (what is so hard about that, they all wear name tags)... after a few times there and if you are observant, you will see how the system works around there as well. each and every morning after our breakfast on our veranda or on the bed, we get our showers taken and out the door we go, we take our towels out with us, and put them outside the door. We sometimes will strip our lines as well and put them outside the door as well. and when we see Maria, Gabrielle, Hector, or Jorge the floor staff or floor managers, we let them know we are out of our room and they can have at it. What is wrong with doing that. Beats them having to knock on the door and go in and do it for us. Gives them a head start at getting thigs down to the laundry to get washed and dried. If i wanted 500 thread count sheets and pillow cases i would have stayed some where else, if i wanted the select bed system i would have stayed in the USA somewhere, but i wanted to come to mexico, and i wanted to stay at the GCP. Maybe by some standards it is not a 5 star hotel, but that is not our fault either. that is the travel industries fault, it is their rating system. Sorry that i am on my soap box here, but if you really think about it. I am just defending those of us that are proud of this resort, and will keep coming back year after year, time and time again no matter what trip advisor has to say. Like we have always said to people, you make "your" vacation what you want it to be. and if you are going to have the mind set that you are going to have a bad time, you will have a bad time. if you let the smallest thing upset you, then you will also have a lousy time. like the book says, don't sweat the small stuff, because it is all small stuff...

but then again, this is just my opinion.... This is not the opinion of anybody from the resort, or any other repeaters...

8) Tom aka Mr. Crown...

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:33 pm

DELETED

travelgirl
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

500 tread count sheets

Post by travelgirl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:12 pm

tojol57 wrote:
travelgirl wrote:I do not think you are being fair to some of the people who have ligitimate complaints on this board. I have been down to PV 12 years - and the last two years we have stayed at the GCP. I posted a complaint on Tripadvisor because our room was substandard as well as our linens and towels were shabby and worn. I beg to differ with you that we are cry babies........as I have stayed at many many places in my lifetime and I feel that 99% of the time I am easy to satisfy. When reading these boards about the GCP I note that most of you know the staff and I feel you are given special treatment such as the better rooms. I think their service is excellent all around and I have no complaints about that or the food or the pool or anything else. That is why we returned this year. However, I feel that for the money we paid and for the rating that the GCP is given the room/towels/linens could have been better. I am sure that when you are a returning customer they do make special efforts. Don't be so hard on those of us that try to give constructive critiques. There was a reason why we returned to GCP and we will definitely consider going back in the future if we can secure a different room this time.
Beats them having to knock on the door and go in and do it for us. Gives them a head start at getting thigs down to the laundry to get washed and dried. If i wanted 500 thread count sheets and pillow cases i would have stayed some where else, if i wanted the select bed system i would have stayed in the USA somewhere, but i wanted to come to mexico, and i wanted to stay at the GCP. Maybe by some standards it is not a 5 star hotel, but that is not our fault either. that is the travel industries fault, it is their rating system. Sorry that i am on my soap box here, but if you really think about it. I am just defending those of us that are proud of this resort, and will keep coming back year after year, time and time again no matter what trip advisor has to say. Like we have always said to people, you make "your" vacation what you want it to be. and if you are going to have the mind set that you are going to have a bad time, you will have a bad time. if you let the smallest thing upset you, then you will also have a lousy time. like the book says, don't sweat the small stuff, because it is all small stuff...

but then again, this is just my opinion.... This is not the opinion of anybody from the resort, or any other repeaters...

8) Tom aka Mr. Crown...
Dear Mr. Crown: No where did I mention or imply that I expected 500 thread count sheets - it's interesting you "assumed" that. I guess that's the problem with this board - that one cannot make a suggestion or a critique without being slammed by the regulars on this board. I guess the sewage smell from the floor in the bathroom and having to step over the toilet to get into the tub was just me being a spoiled brat! (And I wasn't even going to mention that - till you went off on the 500 tread count thing!!)

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Resort Ratings

Post by marcos » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:13 pm

I think Tojol hit the nail on the head. The rating system (which I assume is used by the travel agencies) leaves a lot to be desired.

Seems to me that a 5* resort ought to be a 5* resort regardless of where you go. However, sometimes (many times?) the number of stars seems out-of-whack with the resort. This seems especially true when outside of the US/Canada. a 3* US hotel would be (frankly) a 5* in Mexico.

Case in point ... a Hampton Inn motel in the US would rarely get more than 1* or 2* but a hotel of a similar quality might be a 4* hotel in Mexico.

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:42 pm

I think mr. crown is right in the star rating because they give gcp 4stars and el pescador 31/4stars and we satyed at el pescador and it was wonderfull but does not even compare to the gcp. As for the sewer smell I dont think one can blame it on the resorts or hotel because if you walk down the streets sometimes you can get the smell there.

helenf
PV Guru
PV Guru

Star Ratings

Post by helenf » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:52 pm

The worst star ratings I've ever seen is in Cuba. 4 to 4.5* there should be about 2* to 3* when comparing the same type of hotels to Puerto Vallarta, Costa Rica or Aruba.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:11 pm

I never said you that you mentioned 500 thread count, etc... but i did have a lady in the pool one day complaining about the "star" or "points" system for the rating of this resort. and her biggest BS complaint was the thread count for her bedding. She went on and on how this was not a 5 star hotel with the sheets they were using and the beds they were sleeping on. i was using this as an example from past experiences of guests who were not happy with their accomodations. But as a repeat guest, i got out of the pool, dried my self off... and found the GM, and introduced the lady to Nacho. after their visit she was one of the most pleasant ladies around the pool. I have also had the priviledge of introducing some guests that thought you had to drink your weeks alotment of alcohol on the first day to Senor Jesus Mora, the head of Security at the GCP. Needless to say they were much more refined after that. As for the "smell" from the sewer systems. Unfortunately i am sure that PV is not unlike some cities today, they have underestimated the need for proper disposal thru the plumbing of the resort, the city waste sites, etc.

Also for the record, i was not slamming you or putting you down for your comments, i was only responding to what you were saying and what has been said. At least on this forum, you get to defend your opinions, but on Trip Advisor you are allowed to say whatever you want with out rebuttals... that is why i like PV.net better than trip advisor.

just my opinion again....

8) Tom aka Mr. Crown... (by the way our nicknames Mr and Mrs Crown were given to us by the activites staff on our second visit. Why? Because we shared our vacation with them as well as the rest of the staff. and if you don't believe me, Talk with Danny in Activities)

have a nice day...

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Complaints

Post by smitty » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:35 pm

Travelgirl , I think you will find this is a very balanced site . No one can dispute your experience and conversely others stating their opinions/experience shouldn't be taken as slamming. Do excellent resorts have bad rooms ? Of course they do . Your honest opinions and experience are valued . Thats the beauty of this board , use the wisdom/ advice of Tom and Lorrie and Chuck and our other GCP experts and choosing a room will be flawless .

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:03 pm

:o OMG
:lol: Fantastic

why thank you Smitty... i am totally shocked, awestruck, loss of words. better go to the add a word section to see if i can find some more. Thank you for your kind words and comments. you expressed it so nicely... that is all i was really trying to say but became wordy that is for sure.

i never meant to upset, offend, or discredit anybody's opinion or anything like that. i promote free speech as long as it doesn't interfere with mine JUST KIDDING... :lol: :lol: :wink:

have a great day...
8) Tom aka mr. Crown.

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:40 pm

I think everyone has a favorite resort somewhere. We have found something we have really like and something we were not real pleased with at every resort we have stayed at. Our favorite tends to be the Occidental Allegro in Nuevo Vallarta. This is not the finest resort in the area or the worst it just tends to suite us best. We have stayed there 8 times and over the years have seen changes we liked and changes we hate. Places change, WE change. We have even had a bad experience there, with our room being entered and our cameras stolen. But this happens in every city and every resort at one time or another and I'm not going to blame the resort because of one bad experience with one bad person. Maybe some day we will find the resort that has everything we want, but that may be when we die and go to heaven, or our resort in the sky. :-)9 My point is everyone has their likes, dislikes and opinions. We may not all agree with others opinions but we must learn to respect them. It doesn't hurt to deposit them away in the old brain bank, and maybe some day we will draw them out again and be richer for it. >:)<

One other thing did anyone ever think that maybe some people are giving bad reviews so their favorite place doesn't get to crowded and they can keep it all to themselves. :twisted:

Condor :lol: