taco's

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

desi
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
taco's

Post by desi » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:08 pm

UGGGHHHH I just paid 1.70 for a chicken taco with no cheese(yeah trying to get skinnier for vacation) and there were literally only 5 little chunck pieces of chicken and barely any lettuce......CANNOT WAIT to get to PV and have a real taco...and it will prolly be a fish one too but whatever it is...for under 2 bucks it will be so much better than what we USA people get here in the states(atleast from the fast food places) I wish there were taco stands here in OKC so I could get my fix! ahh I can taste those yummy fish taco's and fish/shrimp on a stick right now! sorry had to rant/ramble for a moment

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:53 pm

I've never had a fish taco but the shrimp and marlin on a stick that we had were amazing. I'm with you, nothing tastes the same without the palm trees overhead, ocean breeze coming in and someone saying "senora, how many you want?"

Joyce

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:56 pm

You haven't lived till you have fish tacos!! :D We are spoiled in So. Cal there are so many good taco places, not fast food but real taco places.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:42 am

Just buy them from the taco stands?

Joyce

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:34 am

Joyce,

We have several places right near my house. They are not outside like they are in PV but rather are little inside shops, some have a few tables but not near enough to handle the crowds. We just buy them and take them home. They also have a little kinda like salad bar with the carrots, peppers, salsa, limes, and all different hot sauces with containers so you just serve yourself while they are fixing your tacos.

chi-mike
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by chi-mike » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:25 pm

for those of us that love mexican food, chicago has become a mecca. during the last 10 years it seems that whenever a store would close, a new mexican restaurant would open.from street vendors to 5 star. Most recently I went to a new upscale restaurant and had fajitas. ( i know fajitas are not true mexican food) but instead of strip steak they had half inch squared strips of sirloin and a hot mocajete with bubbling cheese, jalepinos etc. to drown your steak in.if you take a walk down 26th street you can have your tacos, corn on the cob,jugos fresh fruit dishes with salt and cayenne pepper and just about anything you want without leaving the sidewalk.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:30 pm

I'm not much for fast food, but one place that isn't bad is the Baja Fresh taco places. Not entirely authentic, but worlds apart from most tacos you'll find.

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:19 pm

chi-mike: There used to be a pretty good Mexican place in the same area in which Kingston Mines was (or maybe still is), they served this awesome cheese dip with tortilla chips. Do you know if it's still around? I did not get a chance to look for it the last time we were in Chicago.

rossk: I, too, like Baja Fresh. They serve pretty good shrimp/fish tacos!

chi-mike
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by chi-mike » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:27 pm

welovepv wrote:chi-mike: There used to be a pretty good Mexican place in the same area in which Kingston Mines was (or maybe still is), they served this awesome cheese dip with tortilla chips. Do you know if it's still around? I did not get a chance to look for it the last time we were in Chicago.

sorry doesn't ring a bell. I will be off line for one week attending a wedding in maui. will check into when I get back. I tried to convince the father of the groom to have the wedding in p.v. but they wouldn't budge.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:58 pm

In the last few years I have made it a practice not to eat Mexican food anywhere north of the border. The one exception we occasionally make is a little hole in the wall in Hamilton, Ontario with owners/cooks from Guadalajara. But other than that place, the food just never tastes the same. Don't even get me started on Mexicali Rosas! But the worst "Mexican" food I ever had was at a Chi-Chi's in Covent Garden in England that relatives insisted on dragging us to. And worse yet, I felt I had to pretend to enjoy it as I was their guest!
Last edited by ellen on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:41 am

But I but the fish and chips were amazing! Oh yummy, I can still taste and smell it. We have a Joey's Only around the corner and sometimes we joke with each other and say we will ask them to wrap it in paper and we will munch on it on the way home! :) No matter who does them out here, its not the same.

Joyce

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:24 pm

Don't get me started about really good authentic fish and chips. I haven't had any in over 20 years. Just hearing about them make me think that I would order them for my last supper. Image

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:13 am

chuck wrote:Don't get me started about really good authentic fish and chips. I haven't had any in over 20 years. Just hearing about them make me think that I would order them for my last supper. Image
Fresh fish and chips right on the harbour, eating them from paper take-away while slowly strolling along the pier!!

Joyce

chi-mike
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by chi-mike » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:54 am

welovepv wrote:chi-mike: There used to be a pretty good Mexican place in the same area in which Kingston Mines was (or maybe still is), they served this awesome cheese dip with tortilla chips. Do you know if it's still around? I did not get a chance to look for it the last time we were in Chicago.

sorry but I stuck out. I remember a kingston mines on lincoln ave. many years ago.it's no longer there and I asked a few people who lived in that neighborhood at that time and they couldn't help either.