Puerto Vallarta, Kenna, & Costa Vida

Share photos, videos or other media from your trip to the area.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Gilbert
Puerto Vallarta, Kenna, & Costa Vida

Post by Gilbert » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:17 am

These are some of the photos of Puerto Vallarta and photos of the damage by Kenna 10-25-02 to PV and to Costa Vida Resort.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gilfogoros/my_photos

Gil

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:Puerto Vallarta, Kenna, & Costa Vida

Post by leighg » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:33 pm

Gil,

These photos from the hurrican are incredible!! I have to ask tho, why on earth didn't you evacuate!? LOL I'm sure it was something to see. :( All that damage is just heartbreaking to look at, but it gives me a lot of respect for how beautifully they rebuilt. Thank you for sharing these.

Leigh

jamesw
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by jamesw » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:54 pm

actually the Hurricane skirted Puerto Vallarta, the pics are of the storm surge we hear so much of but never really see any pics of.
Top that off with the rain.

Your pics are great, thanks for sharing them with us. I really enjoyed them. Scary...

bzy1inpv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by bzy1inpv » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:11 pm

I lived on Basilio Badillo at the time Hurricane Kenna (or the edge of Kenna) came by Vallarta and we only received a little over an inch of rain in the south side area... in fact, I stood outside for most of it (talking to neighbors) it was not until I went towards the beach did I see the damage. As far as wind went, there were some pretty good gusts, but nothing monumental....we only lost a few big tree branches in the area, and some roof tiles...nothing like I was expecting. San Blas, where the hurricane came to shore was devistated, but came back to life rather quickly, minus the giant ficus treee in town,
All in all, we were very lucky!

fogoros
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by fogoros » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:11 pm

Kenna started just a tiny bit after 9:00am, and we at Costa Vida would have not know it was happening if we actually weren't watching it. We had no rain to speak of and just a little wind once in a while. Most of us were standing at road level which is the 6th floor on the walkway or on the bridge, and watched the whole time. Only 2 major waves actually did all the damage. From the beach after distroying the breakwater, they hit the wall so hard they went up as high as the 5th floor and then came crashing down and did all the damage. By 6:00pm, we were allowed to go down to the now cleaned up patio and get drinks, and some food. The service people did an outstanding job of cleaning up. The main pool was only closed after being drained for two days, and we could swin again. The reason it wasn't very bad for Costa Vida, was because of the mountains on the south side of the bay which blocked us from the storm. Just 4 km north of us is where the real damage occured to PV and everythin north. Gil

Georgia

Post by Georgia » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:19 pm

Thank you for the pictures, they are beautiful. Can't wait to get back to PV.