What's your fav restaurant and why?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

kandh
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
What's your fav restaurant and why?

Post by kandh » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:27 pm

We'll be there in 4 days.

Best Mexican restaurant?

Seafood?

Romantic setting?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:What's your fav restaurant and why?

Post by canucker » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:30 am

Depending on where you are staying, there is an infinate number of good restuarants for any occasion. I can only suggest look and ask around once you get there, We are going back in about 6 weeks and plan on searching out some gooders.

I can suggest Brasil in Old Town for all you can eat meat, The Blue Shrimp, tasty but pricy, and small family operated Mexican Food Restaurants. Some of the raodside Taco Stands are pretty good too.

Enjoy your trip, not to worry, you'll love it. You'll find a "Fav" restuarant of your own!!

susana

Post by susana » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:22 am

Seafood - Mariscos Tino's, Avenida 333 & Revolucion in Pitillal tel: 224-5584, open air lovely Mexican setting in a quiet neighborhood.

Romantic - the rooftop bar at Chez Elena /Los Cuatro Vientos Hotel at Matamoros 520 up behind the Cathedral, great place to watch the sunset and have drinks.

Offbeat & off the beaten path - My Rueda, Venezuela y Columbia, upstairs patio, view, funky decor. Or the Red Cabbate at Calle Rivera del Rio 204A in Remance, for great unusual and delicious menu, again out of the way and quiet area.

Breakfast - on the southside of town, either Fredy's El Tucan (get a table on the patio) or Memo's Casa de Hotcakes.

Mexican food on Basilo Badillo at Cafe de Olla, serving all day, sometimes crowded at dinner.

Reece

Post by Reece » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:42 pm

If by chance you check this at a cyber cafe I hope you're enjoying yourself.

For margaritas, try Pipi's.

For romance try La Palapa, dine on the beach with water within inches of your feet. Great service and unforgettable views.

Christine

Post by Christine » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:19 pm

We were just there...came home 2/25. We had a great dinner at Tino's Mariscos in Pitallal, I ordered the Lobster and 1 1/2 lobsters were on my plate. My Husband ordered the steak and lobster. We all shared "cerviche" as an appetizer (chopped up fish wih lemon, tomatoes, cilantro) it was delicious and yes the fish was cooked. Other friends with us ordered shrimp, said it was excellent and another couple had the seafood combo for two, the platter was giganic!! I think 3 or 4 could have shared it. Awesome meal. Phillipe was our waiter and he was fun too. Not a bad idea to make a reservation though.

We had dinner at PiPi's down near the Malecon. They had great margaritas and they make the best guacamole right at your table. The food was fabulous. They don't take reservations and there is always a wait at night, no matter what day of the week. We also celebrated a 50th Birthday there and if you could've seen what they did to the "Birthday Boy" it was the funniest thing I've ever witnessed!!

Also ate at Roberto's in the old part of town, it was a nice atmosphere, the food was just okay and so was the service. Beware...there was a pretty girl named "Maple", thought she was employed by the restaurant. Maple was very friendly and we thought she wanted to know how our experience was, thought she was Management or a Hostess. But, really.....she was trying to get people signed up to go tour the "Mayan Palace Resort" for $1500 pesos. Okay, we bit the hook and went, didn't buy anything. Our 90 minute presentation and tour took over 4 hours. They try every tactic in the book to try to keep you there and get you to buy something. These people are everywhere...even on the street. My suggestion...if you don't want to participate, just tell them you're leaving Mexico tomorrow and don't have time.

CIndi

Post by CIndi » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:37 am

I love trio's and be sure and try the beat salad, this is a very nice place I also Love Carmen taco stand !!! WOowe See ya there 3-31

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:56 pm

I've not been able to eat at at too many restaurants (but I've eaten at at least 20 or 25), I know there are a lot of experts on Vallarta restaurants out there, so we are lloking to hear from you.
Of the restaurants I've been to I must say the most memorable was at Trio Restaurant, I ate some excellent meat (veal or something like that) in a plum sauce, excellent food and the dessert was top class, the good thing at this restaurant is you can see it's food made by gourmet chefs, not something you could ever do at home (not without years of training).
The best cafe: River Cafe, though the prices are a bit steep, I can say it's worth it. Great coffees and cakes.
Best Bar/Disco... hmmm... I'm not much of a drinking person, but I did enjoy Christine (Disco) a lot and the remodeling was nice.

Mogens

Hoolia

Post by Hoolia » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:43 am

Mogens (Mar 09, 2004 01:56 p.m.):
I've not been able to eat at at too many restaurants (but I've eaten at at least 20 or 25), I know there are a lot of experts on Vallarta restaurants out there, so we are lloking to hear from you.
Of the restaurants I've been to I must say the most memorable was at Trio Restaurant, I ate some excellent meat (veal or something like that) in a plum sauce, excellent food and the dessert was top class, the good thing at this restaurant is you can see it's food made by gourmet chefs, not something you could ever do at home (not without years of training).
The best cafe: River Cafe, though the prices are a bit steep, I can say it's worth it. Great coffees and cakes.
Best Bar/Disco... hmmm... I'm not much of a drinking person, but I did enjoy Christine (Disco) a lot and the remodeling was nice.

Mogens
I really loved LaCassita, but cannot find out if it still exists. For many years we went there, but I have a feeling they closed, does anyone know?

glmwpg
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by glmwpg » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:07 pm

I enjoyed Fajita Republic, was a nice, relaxed outdoor setting, excellent steak fajitas, beer was always brought to you very cold & ready when you are :) price was acceptable, can't recall exactly but it wasn't anything outlandish. service was impeccable.

same with Brasil's Steakhouse... also top notch!!

would go back to either in a second

val

Post by val » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:21 pm

The food of mi suegra ( mother in law) is very good also!!

greet val

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:08 pm

Then it's settled, we will all go over to Val's house for dinner! :-)

Hodag71

Post by Hodag71 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:10 pm

Just got back from PV last week. Our favorites were Duragel Plays in Bucerias and Marisio's in Ixtapa. You won't find many tourists at either place, which is why we liked them. Very authentic!

susana

Post by susana » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:27 am

The Red Cabbage, Mariscos Tino's, My Rueda, Chez Elena, La Bamba, Cafe de Olla, Memo's Casa de Hotcakes, Fredy's El Tucan, Papaya 3, Chili's & all the places on the beach at Playa Los Muertos. Personally i find it a bit upsetting when time-share are allowed to cruise you while you eat, even in Old Town and simple places you might find it. I don't mind the wandering musicians, kids selling roses,etc. that's all part of PV. Most good restaurants regulate who if anyone is welcome to come in and sell. Some places are much more peaceful than others that way (Roberto's is not one of them).

vallartalover1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by vallartalover1 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:19 pm

We have assembled a write up on restaurants which we have visited over the past eons. If anyone wishes a free copy, I can send you a word document. It is not too long, short notes, selection ideas. I revise after each of our trips there.

Dode

FreddyTucan & Papya 3

Post by Dode » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:20 am

susana (Apr 10, 2004 12:27 a.m.):
The Red Cabbage, Mariscos Tino's, My Rueda, Chez Elena, La Bamba, Cafe de Olla, Memo's Casa de Hotcakes, Fredy's El Tucan, Papaya 3, Chili's & all the places on the beach at Playa Los Muertos. Personally i find it a bit upsetting when time-share are allowed to cruise you while you eat, even in Old Town and simple places you might find it. I don't mind the wandering musicians, kids selling roses,etc. that's all part of PV. Most good restaurants regulate who if anyone is welcome to come in and sell. Some places are much more peaceful than others that way (Roberto's is not one of them).
We have enjoyed so many places in PV that it is hard to say, with all the Timeshare Reps interupting you after you eat
one can only go on a gut feeling and not return, sorta the stomach turns? Hhowever, we do feel that Freddy Tucan and Papya 3 are two places that anyone new to P V do go to. Andelae's of course is not only good for the night life BUT they have great food any time of the day. Their l unches are spectacular

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:15 pm

you can't go wrong at Pipi's. They make killer margaritas, and i love margaritas. Especially strawberry banana margaritas, whoops, i degress. Your waiter comes right to your table and will make fresh guocamole for you ,yummy. The fajitas are absolutely delicious. There is a Mariachi band that plays all night long. Pipi's is a fun experience. There is always a line up here, but it is o.k. because you get to meet new people. It was so busy one time, that we invited another couple to sit with us and we had a fantastic time. we are from vancouver and they were from New York. We have kept in touch and are now planning to meet up with them this nov. in P.V. and you can bet we will be heading to our fav. Pipi's.
Like the banner on the wall says, " Don't drink the water, drink the Margaritas " M.M.

Tweetybird

Post by Tweetybird » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:39 pm

vallartalover (Apr 16, 2004 07:20 p.m.):
We have assembled a write up on restaurants which we have visited over the past eons. If anyone wishes a free copy, I can send you a word document. It is not too long, short notes, selection ideas. I revise after each of our trips there.
We will be visiting PV for the 1st time over Memorial weekend. Would like to view a list of the rest. you have visited.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:09 am

Thank you, MM, I was waiting to see how long it would take someone to mention Pipi's. I know it's very turista but we hit it once everytime we are in Vallarta. It is just lots of fun, good marguritas and excellent guacamole made at your table.

meagain

Post by meagain » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:10 pm

my absolute favorite for food was this restaurant that had excellent fajitas... i do not remember what it was called, but all i noticed was there was a lot of gay men around, i don't know ifit was a coincidence or not. my favorite place to eat as far as scenery was el pescado de los gonzalas or something like that... it was a restaurant in the mountains. we were going to go to pepes but the lines were around the block, so our taxi driver just started driving and the restaurant was awesome. it was not over priced at all, and it had a waterfall inside of it, and if you go at the right time you will see the firworks... it looks over the whole city!!! you should go, it was the most beautiful/dreamy thing i have seen.