Shrimp Factory, Blue Shrimp, Brazil

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tatterdema
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Shrimp Factory, Blue Shrimp, Brazil

Post by tatterdema » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:31 am

Hi,

Can people please give me their opinion of who has the best shrimp for the price, Factory, or Blue. Are they comparable in price, value, selection?

Also, Brasil. How is the food here. I looked at their website, but it does not show much. Can anyone explain the dining procedure here?

Thanks,

Wade 22 days and counting!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Food

Post by Jennybean » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:25 pm

The procedure at Brasil if I recall (haven't been there in a couple years) is meat, meat, and more meat. They bring it out on large skewers, you choose what you want and they slice it to your plate. It's an Atkins dieter's dream. There are side dishes, but if you're a meat lover, this place is Mecca. lol

From what I hear about both Blue Shrimp and Shrimp Factory, while the shrimp may be tasty, you best be prepared to pay premium - neither place is cheap. There are places around town to get fantastic shrimp meals without making your wallet weep so hard - Mariscos Polo, Mariscos Tinos, Machis BBQ, Cafe Bohemio to name a few...heck, even the shrimp plates at the Burro Bar.

DonnaMark
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: Shrimp Factory, Blue Shrimp, Brazil

Post by DonnaMark » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:22 pm

tatterdema wrote:Hi,

Can people please give me their opinion of who has the best shrimp for the price, Factory, or Blue. Are they comparable in price, value, selection?

Also, Brasil. How is the food here. I looked at their website, but it does not show much. Can anyone explain the dining procedure here?

Thanks,

Wade 22 days and counting!
At Brasil, beef, pork and chicken is served on swords, hot from the grill, and sliced for you at the table. A few side dishes, but go there hungry. It is price fixe, and around $170 pesos for men and $130 pesos for women. All you can eat. We go there once every year.

Shrimp Factory and Blue Shrimp are ok and pricey (for PV). Better to find some shrimp tacos on or near the beach, and at some of the street food vendors. The ones with a crowd are usully very good, and very inexpensive. There is also a pescaria near Rizo's market, with great fresh shrimp and seafood you can steam up yourself....

tojol57

Pricey Yes

Post by tojol57 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:00 pm

Yes the Blue Shrimp is $$$$$, but Martin, Soci, Raul, and the rest of the staff make it a pleasure. You order by the kilo, then you order the style, garlic, diablo, newspaper, etc etc etc... or you can have lobster, sea bass, etc... the Margarita Azul are excellent too.... They have an excellent salad bar too. My wife hates coconut, but she will order the coconut shrimp there.. and the restrooms are a hoot as well, especially the entrance to the women's... Martin also has the Blue Martini Bar upstairs that is nice too... And ladies, my wife says that Martin is "easy on the eyes too"... he is a wonderful man, good friend too...

We also like going next door to de Santos... another wonderful resturant of the 1000 plus resturants intown... enjoy bon apetite...

8) Tom.. aka Mr Crown

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canucker » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:46 am

Agreed, we have enjoyed the Blue Shrimp each time we were in PV. There is more to a enjoyable dinner than just price. We love the atmosphere and the service. It's worth every Peso.

shelleyfish
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by shelleyfish » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:27 pm

The Blue Shrimp has a soft spot in our heart because it was the first restaurant where we dined after just arriving in PV for our first visit. We had drinks with some "board friends" at CyCs (meeting them for the first time) and met another couple (becoming good friends) at The Blue Shrimp. :D

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:58 pm

That is kind of how we fell into this diamond in the rough... we were out for a long walk from the GCP getting our exercise when the girls needed a drink and a potty... and Martin the owner was just opening up and getting things set up outside when the girls "bumped" into him... he invited us in, got us some waters, potty break, and then gave us some business cards and coupons to come back that night for dinner... and from there it is history... we go back at least two or three times during our stay in Vallarta... it is just so much fun to see the staff, and they remember you from year to year.... as matter of a fact, i need to e-mail them ... YIKES... thanks for the reminder... LOL

8) Tom aka Mr. Crown

suebruce
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by suebruce » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:16 pm

"The Blue Shrimp is worth every penny" That's what my husband tells anyone who will listen... We went there last year on our last night in PV and all we did was follow our noses... We hadn't decided where we should go... we just dressed up for dinner, took the bus downtown and then walked a bit aimlessly until this wonderful aroma grabbed my husband and he basically said that it didn't matter how long it took us we needed to find the restaurant where that wonder ful smell was coming from.

We found it and they took such good care of us and our kids... Yes the dinner was pricey... but it also was unbeliveable how nice they were to my kids and offered to make my little one chicken fingers as seafood wasn't her favorite thing.. and the parrott of course was a hit and the hostess gave each of the kids marachas (sp?) on our way out.... I could go on and on... but I don't think I even cared how much we spent.. it is such a happy memory for us. A great way to end a vacation IMHO... :D

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:28 pm

Mr. Crown and I are very good friends with Martin, the owner, Socci, the hostess, Raul and the other waiters. We absolutely love going there. They are so good to us each and every time.... I hate coconut but I absolutely love the coconut shrimp. I also hate spinach but I love the spinach dressing. I love seafood, especially shrimp. The atmosphere, the food and the staff all make it worthwhile!! :D

delectdee
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by delectdee » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:59 pm

we like Pacifica- especially the grilled shrimp.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:45 pm

i think there are so many wonderful resturants in PV, and each and everyone of us will have a favorite one, that somebody else doesn't like for whatever reason. i still think it is great to just walk the malecon, check out all the menus, peek in all the windows and check out the entres etc... and with all the wonderful aromas in the air, how can you go wrong. pick and choose, live and learn, try try again... and you too will have some favorite resturants. Like we have said before, we don't go to the Outback Steakhouse in Iowa, why would i go to one in Puerto Vallarta... because it is our choice....

8) Tom aka Mr. Crown...

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:42 am

Agreed, I follow my nose and then check on the posted menu. My choice, good or bad. BTW, I don't really think Ive ever had a bad meal in PV. If I did I can't remember, due to all that tequila. :lol:

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:57 pm

I'm thinking some coconut shrimp from the The Blue Shrimp along with one of Martin's special margaritas is sounding pretty good right now... :wink: