Safe to eat raw vegetables?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

boaterkathy
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Safe to eat raw vegetables?

Post by boaterkathy » Fri May 19, 2006 7:07 pm

I am diabetic and follow a very low carb diet. I eat mainly protein, fat, and non-starchy vegetables. Is it going to be safe to eat raw vegetables(like salads) at most restaurants and/or buy vegetables and eat them without cooking them??

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Fri May 19, 2006 7:11 pm

well I can answer one part of your question the salads. I ate them on the boat cruises and at the restraunts and they were fine and I never had any problems.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Fri May 19, 2006 8:18 pm

Previously we stayed in hotels, and always ate out, but this year we're staying in a condo, and will be preparing some of our own food. I know there's at least one product, Microdyn, that can be added to water as a rinse/soak for fruits and veggies that is supposed to work well as a disinfectant.

You can also thoroughly peel anything that has a skin.

I've gotten Montezuma's on our past 2 trips, and I'm pretty sure I know where I got it - out of town both times at small local-type eateries. When eating out, if you stick to places that have a good sized tourist clientele you'll do fine.

pop&fresh

safe

Post by pop&fresh » Fri May 19, 2006 9:06 pm

i think if you ask every place you go if they wash there vegetables they will say yes

howver durin the slow season in poarticular you should always make sure the vegis you get are very crisp looking

when you take them home to prepare to eat make sure you have some iodine to soak your vegis for 3 minutes
to kill bacterial algea and other minute pests

if in doubt be smart and dont buy

if you are peeling anything thta has a skin make sure you wash it and your knife first in order to reduce the possibility of cross contamination

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri May 19, 2006 9:35 pm

I agree with Bruce on this... if you go to Gigante, Mega, Super Wal-Mart it is just like buying veggies as home... same kind of set ups, etc. We haven't had any problems with veggies and we have been coming down for 15 yrs... So take it from fellow Iowan, you will do just fine, check things out closely, if you have to bring some of the "veggie rinse" stuff from home, and wach your veggies in that first. Make sure you are using bottled water as well versus tap water, depending on where you are staying at...

:wink: :lol: 8)

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat May 20, 2006 9:29 pm

I live dangerously and will eat anything put infront of me. Raw veggies and salads, even raw oysters. Someday that might catch up to me, but for the time being, what the heck. BTW, if I happened to be immuno-compromized, I would be more carefull, but I'm not.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Sun May 21, 2006 3:39 pm

If you are concerned, most restaurants offer sides of steamed mixed vegetables. I order that instead of a salad. If you are buying your own at the grocery, just buy a bottle of the veggie soak as mentioned, it's easy to find, often right at the check-out counter, and use.

I know some people say everything in PV is safe to eat, but after being sick a few trips (it wasn't from salads because i don't eat them in PV) you are likely to be a bit more cautious.
________
Vapir No2 Vaporizer