Finally a Starbucks in PV

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

bananaboat
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Finally a Starbucks in PV

Post by bananaboat » Sun May 27, 2007 8:51 pm

I recently visited the starbucks cafe in Vallarta close to the Peninsula complex and everything was so delicious , but just a suggestion . Why not free coffee buying the thermal cup as other Starbucks do? :roll:

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Sun May 27, 2007 10:36 pm

If you owned it...would you if you didn't have to? lol I think not.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Starbucks

Post by Jennybean » Mon May 28, 2007 3:15 pm

Applying US standards to a Mexican owned business doesn't always translate. Remember the Starbucks in PV is Mexican owned, operated and staffed. :wink:

femme
PV Fan
PV Fan

starbucks

Post by femme » Mon May 28, 2007 3:39 pm

if im not mistaken, starbucks has one franchise in the world.
his name is peter wall from the wall centre in downtown ( west end ) vancouver.
it might be mexican owned, meaning yes it's now in mexico but im certain
that starbucks out of the states has the ownership, just registered here

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Franchise

Post by Jennybean » Mon May 28, 2007 4:05 pm

Owning the rights to sell a franchise operation to someone, and actually owning the franchise are two different animals. As is the case in Mexico. Or Canada. Or the US. Or Europe. Ad nauseum.

Ask any...restaurant owner. *cough* :wink:

femme
PV Fan
PV Fan

research

Post by femme » Mon May 28, 2007 5:10 pm

ive done a little research into this matter and have found, seattle owners registered as a corporation , registered there in puerto vallarta.
knowing this is one thing, mexican management yes
simmilar to the croc store sittuation
if im not mistaken, the croc stores are owned by the american company , just registered through mexico.
they are now managed by mexicans and have been for a little while.
these changes without the american influence have slowed things down for the people in mexico doing the actual manageing of the different locations.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

??

Post by Jennybean » Mon May 28, 2007 5:20 pm

I think your Crocs info is a bit off...the stores in PV and Sayulita are run by and managed by a gringa expat with local staff facilitating a retail manager role - but make no mistake, she is the GM and responsible for the stores. They are all Mexican owned and supplied out of Leon, as she explained it to me - it's the Crocs trademark name and logo that are US owned. But hey, maybe ask her the next time you see her...

PS - a corporation registration is different than actually owning the franchise rights to opening a business at a particular location. The corporation holds the trademarks on the rights to the name, branding, logos, etc. but they don't actually "own" that particular location. The franchisee purchases the rights to use the logos, brand name etc. from the corporation at any particular location. While I'm not on the ground in PV it is my understanding that US/Cdn franchise operations there are almost entirely Mexican owned, Mexican managed usually, and they are definitely staffed with Mexicans...as the employment laws dictate.

A little corporate & commercial law research will go a longer way...not sayin' just sayin'. :wink:

femme
PV Fan
PV Fan

corporation

Post by femme » Mon May 28, 2007 5:35 pm

i have a corporation in mexicothat has been in existance for some time.for me, i have to agree with the laws about workers, however there are plenty that dont follow the rules
if you ask your gringa friend who manages the store, i think you'll find that she will tell you that no matter what , the store is owned out of the usa and managed by friends in mexico
im pretty sure on that

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Rules

Post by Jennybean » Mon May 28, 2007 6:04 pm

We aren't talking about those who don't follow the rules though, we are talking about US based franchises operating in Mexico. No way in Hades would they be operating under the table...way too visible, too much viable income for the local municipal government in the way of licensing, insurance, etc. etc. etc.

Unless your "corporation" is a US developed franchise I'm not sure how the theory applies in this case.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Charbucks

Post by smitty » Tue May 29, 2007 12:22 am

It will be a red (and white) letter day when a Tim Hortons opens in PV . Image

DELETED

Re: Charbucks

Post by DELETED » Tue May 29, 2007 11:38 am

DELETED

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Tue May 29, 2007 11:58 am

I agree - I am a die hard Timmie's fan - actually used to work for the corporate office in Winnipeg.One of the best jobs I ever had!

Sherry

PV cheesehead42
PV Fan
PV Fan

Starbucks in PV

Post by PV cheesehead42 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:29 pm

Does PV need another chain coffee shop, restautant, etc... What's next...Taco Bell? :evil:

TNbear
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by TNbear » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:12 am

I'm with Cheesehead, why travel thousands of miles to a foriegn country and then go to Starbucks/McDonalds/Chilis etc. I don't even go to those places here for goodness sake.
Go to places that are different, where you might find something new and exciting. Otherwise you might as well stay at home and eat from cardboard boxes and tin cans.

tojol57

progress????

Post by tojol57 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:49 pm

If you look across the street from Christine's there is an Outback Steakhouse... talk about adding salt to the wound, insult to injury... one of the reasons you are seeing these chains popping up all over Vallarta, is because the redneck gringos that venture down here, and don't understand the culture of Mexico, the beauty of vallarta, that we have all grown to love for the people, the little tiendas, the special little shop, store, resturant, bar, etc... that we have all discovered... but these "new" people want "back home crap"... Starbucks, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse, etc... because it is safe, it is familiar to them... also, i believe all the new money coming into vallarta is using this to entice more and more redneck gringos into vallarta to the new condos in the area... and if there is a Mc D's, Chili's, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Hardee's, etc close by, this will make the sale easier.... it is the familiar that makes people comfy... too many people are scared to live outside the box.... Heck look at this week in news... Paris yells for Mommy and Daddy when she is sent back to jail to serve her sentence... wake up little girl, you are 26 yrs old... Personally i think her mom and dad should serve right along side of her... they built her, be responsiblel parents.... :soapbox: M:-( sorry got a little side tracked... oh well... life goes on... no matter what we think say or do... we just keep on moving along....

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:44 am

Without going into a long and detailed answer because I just don't have the time, here is the short and sweet answer.

The chain stores and restaurants are coming to PV because the locals want them not because of the gringos. Have to ever been in one in PV? You will find that probably 90+% of the patrons to be locals.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:21 am

I have to agree with Lori you will find more local Mexicans in these establishments than you do gringos. Some very good friends of mine took me to a local resturant for my birthday one year. Their kids threw a fit the entire time we were there because they wanted to go to Micky D's. Another time the traffic was horrible and we decided to go to Outback Steakhouse for dinner as it was easier than fighting the traffic. The parking lot was full as was the resturant and it was all Mexicans. I guess they are like we are, I go to PV to eat the local food and the locals go the American resturants to eat our food.

I go to Micky D's to use the bathroom :lol:

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:35 am

It will be a red (and white) letter day when a Tim Hortons opens in PV
The only new Tim Horton's found in a 'hot' location is at Canadian Forces Base Afghanistan. If the only way we can get a Timmy's in PV is to have our men in Afghanistan move to PV, I'm all for moving them there.
I go to Micky D's to use the bathroom
Us too! Then further down the Malecon, we've found that Hooters has a nice set of uh restrooms.

TNbear
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by TNbear » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:42 pm

Exactly Kat, the locals go to the American/Canadian chains because to them it is different.
I confess to being a chain restaurant hater, even when I travel in the States I try to eat at local places. Life is far too short to eat formula food that may not have even been prepared within hundreds of miles of where you are consuming it, then frozen ready to pop into the microwave.
Believe it or not, there are many operations that do not employ cooks, they employ food reheaters.

michellei88
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

starbucks

Post by michellei88 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:48 pm

so much for enjoying other cultures! i thought the purpose of leaving ones' country was to "experience" other cultures. some things just don't belong and starbucks is just one of them!