Bruce’s Back Alley - Revisited

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:43 pm

By Anna Reisman

In this town where we are so spoiled by the plethora of excellent restaurants, it is inevitable for those of us who live here to acquire a few favorites. Bruce’s Back Alley has been one of mine ever since it opened on Francisco Madero. Now Bruce is gone and Jason Kilborne has taken over. Actually, it’s not just Jason. He’s accompanied by Amanda, his partner in the purchase.
This is a rather unusual couple because, just looking at them without knowing them, one would think that they’re way too young to run a restaurant… But looks are deceiving, trust me. I was fooled.
Jason and Amanda have promised to maintain Bruce’s high quality standards as well as the favorite dishes of the restaurant’s clientele. But they’ve added some new items, and probably will continue to do so as they become increasingly familiar with their client’s preferences.
When we went to check out the place -and the menu- last week, we noticed that indeed, most of the original menu has remained the same.
The salads and starters were still there: Tomato (with mozzarella), Arugula (with apples and Parmesan), the Baked Brie with warm strawberry purée, the «indescribable» shrimp cocktail, and of course, Bruce’s now famous Bistro salad (my favorite) and his «Bruceketta».
The list of chops, chicken dishes and seafood has been tweaked, with tempting variations on the original dishes, and of course, the steaks, Bruce’s claim to fame, are being prepared just as perfectly as always. That’s what the other diners who were there that night told me.
Personally, I just had to see if they would prepare the cold-water lobster as well as they did when Bruce owned the place. They did. Excellent! Complete with a lovely assortment of fresh veggies cooked just right.
And you can order pastas too now, fettuccine, linguine or penne, with Chianti, Alfredo or Bruce’s Special sauces. You can «build your own» and you can add toppings such as Italian sausage, smoked salmon, chicken and shrimp. Despite the fact that I had told him I was sated, Jason brought me a little tasting portion of a couple of them. Very good indeed, al dente, the way it should be, and nicely flavored too.
The other novelty is desserts. Ask for them, you will be most pleasantly surprised. I was. But I can’t tell you about them because they still hadn’t decided which they would keep and which not.
In case you’re not familiar with Bruce’s Back Alley, it’s been called a «charming, casual, fine dining chop house». In her review a while back, Brenda Retzlaff wrote: «Don’t expect a stuffy atmosphere at Bruce’s. It’s a «come as you are» bar and restaurant - with elegant food. Although, I do suggest you wear something comfortable as your waist will probably increase by at least two inches before you waddle out the door.
Bruce’s Back Alley Bistro has indoor seating for 40, and an open air rear tropical terrace seating 40 more, complete with his private daytime dipping pool and brightly colored plants.
We should mention that the USDA choice beef served there is properly aged, highlighted by the now famous rib eye, hand cut at the table, and served with crisp fresh vegetables and a choice of garlic mashed potatoes or baby reds. And you won’t need a steak knife to cut it! The sheer thickness of the tropical citrus pork chop stuffed with spinach, rosemary, garlic and mushrooms, and served over a warm maple peppercorn sauce, is most impressive… And there is a full bar with carefully chosen wines from 17 countries.»
Among the other things I personally appreciate at Bruce’s are the spotless cleanliness of the place, the fact that the kitchen is open for all to view the activity therein ...and the quiet! Bruce’s is only a half-block west of I. Vallarta, a main thoroughfare, and yet there are no noisy buses or vendors to disturb you while you dine.
Fear not, Bruce’s Back Alley is not located in an alley, it is at 225 Francisco I. Madero Street, tucked in the middle of the block, surrounded by little shops and apartments, less than 2 blocks from the beach. Brenda wrote: «You cannot help but notice the lovely façade, the wide open French doors, brick archways, warm ochre-washed walls and lushly-lacquered handmade tables with high backed chairs. If the ambiance does not catch your attention, the smoky scent of grilling meat will. One whiff will simply stop you in your tracks. While Mexico is not known for beef, Bruce’s Back Alley rivals any steakhouse from Alberta to Texas and everywhere in between.»
I couldn’t have said it better myself.
I strongly recommend that you visit Bruce’s Back Alley - for the quality, the choices, the size of the portions …and the prices. Tel.: 223-3860.
-http://www.vallartatribune.com/Food/552index.html

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Thanks! I have meant to stop in there for the last few years but always seem to run out of time...we'll do our best to get in there on our next visit. :)

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 pm

We ate there and met Jason a couple of weeks ago, it was just like when Bruce was there, excellent. I am sorry to say that due to circumstances we did not make it back a second time this trip, but will return in May.

If you go, please tell Alex the waiter Ted and Gail send a warm hello, he is one of the best and nicest servers I have encountered anywhere.

We also had a very nice lunch with Bruce and his wife Julia at Vitea, another spot to put on your must try list.

Sweetie
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Bruce's Back Alley

Post by Sweetie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:31 am

What are the prices like...................and is it close to the Malecon?

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Re: Bruce's Back Alley

Post by palapa_gal » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:24 pm

Sweetie wrote:What are the prices like...................and is it close to the Malecon?
Check out the website -http://www.brucesbackalleybistro.com/

Sweetie
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Sweetie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:37 pm

Saved it to my favorites...........Thanks

big guy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Bruce's Bistro

Post by big guy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:59 pm

What happened to Bruce? This was one of our must stops the last couple of years.

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:17 pm

Bruce sold the restaurant & has opened a new place called Teatro Limon.

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:13 pm

the above site was bruce´s site
not from the new owner jason
so it would not reflect to the new owner doings

chico

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:15 pm

I still host that website. I've spoke with one of the new owners (a month or so ago), and am just waiting on them getting organized with the actual restaurant operation, after which time I'm sure they'll be updating the website.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:21 pm

winterpegman wrote:I still host that website. I've spoke with one of the new owners (a month or so ago), and am just waiting on them getting organized with the actual restaurant operation, after which time I'm sure they'll be updating the website.
sounds good Darryl... you are the man that is for sure...

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:45 am

Winnipeg gal 1 wrote:Bruce sold the restaurant & has opened a new place called Teatro Limon.
ok where is the new place located??

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:47 am

Teatro Limon.
Probably is in an udderly fantastic setting in the citrus area. OR its in the theatre district and is going to become a lemon. LOL

I guess you can tell I don't have a clue. Maybe Bruce using one or more of his persona's will log on and post a response.

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

where

Post by teatrolimon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:10 pm

sorry ive not been able to have internet in my home for a few days

mogens actually stopped by my house about 2 weeks ago

it was kinda funny he just showed up while my neighbour was officially opening my bar on his behalf
i mean champagne and all and with the asdition of mogens and friend in tow we had a good time

the construction is actually finished now but julia and i need a small time out to get our lives back in order seeing as we will be living on the same property

i look forward to seeing you at this little gem

the adress is callejon de limon on the corner of maria montessorri
turn right at the hospital st javier and keep going untill you see the big yellow lit up house on the right hand side ( its really not that far

the map will be on the web page as soon as my buddy darryl gives me a phone number that i can actually contact him on ( hint hint )

with mogens permission in the future ill probably post a little something about the concept with a menu in the near future

please take note

the menu will actually change every two weeks
food will be international top table with cheap prices and influenced with foods or products that are indigenous to mexic

the reason for the name is that you have three choices

you can sit back enjoy your meal or you can belly up to the kitchen itself and watch us cook

ev en better make a donation to any of the three charities chosen and we suply you with a chefs coat while you actually work in the kitchen with us

thus the name TEATRO LIMON ( limon is the name of the street the house is on )

ill talk to you all soon

thanks for your past patronage

bruce

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:19 am

Wonderful concept Bruce! Hoping you'll be open by the end of December. We'll be sure to come visit you and Julia at your new restaurant! Can't wait to wear the chef's coat!!

Sandra

svnr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by svnr » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:16 am

We met Jason and his girl friend right after Thanksgiving (she was cooking that evening) and wish them the best. The long write-up you gave was right on and well deserved. We will be returing again in Feb
and plan on making this one of our first stops.

Zeewot
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

WE WERE VERY DISAPPOINTED IN BRUCE'S BACK ALLEY RESTAURANT

Post by Zeewot » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:51 am

We read about this restaurant on this site and tried it out last Christmas (December of 2006). It was dead quiet. Service was slow and all of our first choices (4of us) were not available. This was early in the evening (7PM). The weirdest thing was that the bathroom was in the middle of the restaurant with only a closet type door with slats (smelly). Very odd....even for Mexico.

svnr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by svnr » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:47 pm

We enjoyed a great dinner there Monday night. THEY ARE DOING A GREAT JOB.

winterpegman

Re: WE WERE VERY DISAPPOINTED IN BRUCE'S BACK ALLEY RESTAURA

Post by winterpegman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Zeewot wrote:We read about this restaurant on this site and tried it out last Christmas (December of 2006). It was dead quiet. Service was slow and all of our first choices (4of us) were not available. This was early in the evening (7PM). The weirdest thing was that the bathroom was in the middle of the restaurant with only a closet type door with slats (smelly). Very odd....even for Mexico.
You're posting a review of a restaurant of December 2006...in February 2008??? I'm hoping that you just made a mistake on the year, rather than posting something that old....