El Eden or Chico's Paradise???

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

mat1898
PV Fan
PV Fan
El Eden or Chico's Paradise???

Post by mat1898 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:46 am

It's been several years since I've been to either jungle lunch destination. I'm bringing a 9 & 11 year old. Which would you chose and why?
Many thanks in advance :)

deollafan
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by deollafan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:13 pm

Both places can be great fun. Chico's has better food, I think, but El Eden might be better if your kids want to swim. Just watch out for folks landing on their heads :)

mat1898
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mat1898 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks so much, that was my thinking too. Additional comments or opinions are welcome!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Lunch

Post by Jennybean » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:09 pm

Here are a couple of non-tourist trap recommendations... :wink:

Cuale Paradise along the river in Paso Ancho. Lovely riverside setting under palapas, the kids can splash away in the river while you all enjoy a delicious lunch.

La Huerta, also along the river in Paso Ancho. Sunday lunch mongolian bbq with live mariachi. Not only entertainment and ability to splash in the river, a healthy delicious lunch alternative that you wouldn't normally think about in PV (mongolian bbq is very fresh and healthy).

mat1898
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mat1898 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks Jennybean
You mentioned going on a Sunday. We are there M-Sat. Are they open
other days? Thanks again

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

La Huerta

Post by Jennybean » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:13 pm

Not sure about other days, I think La Huerta is only open Sundays.

The other options are both open during the week.

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Last couple times I went to Chicos the food and service were bad. Ive been there at least 10 times and I am pretty easy to please. I take into account where the place is an all but I was just disappointed the last couple times.

El Eden I go to every year. I love it there and have never had bad food or service. Word to the wise though be very careful if you choose to go off the waterfall. It looks harmless but it isnt. I had gone off it probably over a hundred times and even headfirst. In 2002 I went later in the season than I normally go and the river flow was different. I didnt pay attention to where everyone was sitting and just sat in my normal spot. Well I went off sideways and one foot landed in the water and the other on the rock. The result was a compound fracture and shattered heelbone and I spent the next 3 days in Medassist and got reconstructive surgery. Im fine now and I still go back every year and I even go off the waterfall albeit with a lot more caution and awareness. They give me free drinks when I go there. :lol:

Bottom line is El Eden is closer and its prettier and the food and service are better. Plus the water is more accessible if you decide to take a swim. I wouldnt discourage anyone to go off the waterfall but just pay close attention to where the people are sitting when they begin their slide as depending on the flow of the water your ideal starting point changes.

Have fun! 8)

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:55 pm

We ate at both on our last trip in Oct 06. Chico's has always been passable to pretty good, tho expensive for what you get. Our lunch at El Eden tho was terrible. We drove there, but happened to arrive when a tour bus did. We waited over half an hour for food, and it wasn't good.