Give Bruce at teatrolimon a Break!

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

harry
PV Fan
PV Fan
Give Bruce at teatrolimon a Break!

Post by harry » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Bruce posted his new menu in the restaurant section, and at the top posted the price of $45 for a 5 course dinner. It seems clear enough to me and I don't really understand the flak he got. Just bring a lot of $ or the equivalent pesos and enjoy a fine dinner. Regards, Harry :D
Last edited by harry on Thu May 07, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:31 pm

I read that whole April Fools Day post and still don't see the price mentioned anywhere.

There was something from Bruce but I see Mogens rightly moved it to the Ads section where it rightly belongs.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:57 pm

3rd line down

tojol57

Teatro Limon March 09

Post by tojol57 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:01 pm

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/571272568qnAXqD

here are the latest and greatest pictures of out visit to Bruces...

enjoy

Tom aka Mr Crown

harry
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: Teatro Limon March 09

Post by harry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:20 pm

tojol57 wrote:http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/571272568qnAXqD

here are the latest and greatest pictures of out visit to Bruces...

enjoy

Tom aka Mr Crown
Looks mighty good and thanks for the pictures. Did your party order what they desired off the menu? A year ago it was a fixed menu for the evening, with the main entre filet mignon which was excellent. The wife would have liked lamb but it was not the case for the night which was fine with me.

We leave May 16 to go back if the airlines don't cave in and quit flying. Hopefully the hysteria will have subsided by then. Regards, Harry

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 pm

Harry,
And your reason for bringing this up after the post was locked down a month ago was???? Looking for a pot to stir?

harry
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by harry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:47 pm

katnsocal wrote:Harry,
And your reason for bringing this up after the post was locked down a month ago was???? Looking for a pot to stir?
Don't understand your accusation and why you are getting on my case. Please enlighten me. Regards, Harry

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:29 am

Harry,
The initial post was closed a month ago by Mogen's. Just wondering what your point was bringing it up again a month later? Seems like a mute point with a thread that is closed.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:39 am

Don't understand your accusation and why you are getting on my case
Well Harry; what it amounts to is self promotion. Bruce is good at it.... everytime he starts up a new restaurant he changes his 'handle' so he can associate himself with his new endeavour. I can't even think of all the names he's gone by on this board alone.

If you notice, there is a whole forum devoted to Ads. That is where he should have posted the ad advertising his place and menu... Instead he posted in this section, but not as an interested customer. The owner of this board rightfully moved his post to the ad section. That's the first point. Bruce always pushes the envelope, and then posts rude and demeaning remarks about the posters when some take exception.

The second is that his pricing structure, general rudeness, and perceived intent to make his million off fellow Canadians and American tourists really is a bone of contention among alot of people. Those of us who are members of a few other boards have quite a bit of experience with his demeanour, and it appears to carry over to this board.

That's not to say he doesn't have a great place. He does... he is a master chef... and his product and the display on the plate is truly a work of art. Importing high quality meats and lobster is his trademark and naturally has to be priced higher than local products... we all know that.... we just wish that he would let his customers toot his horn.

kingofmen
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by kingofmen » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:38 am

...he is a master chef...
No offence intended but, what do you mean by this, is it your opinion, or is he C.C.C certified or do you mean he is a good cook. Those in the industry that have" Certified Chef De Cuisine "certification would take offence to this "qualification". There is a big difference between a cook and a C.C.C. certified chef. Anyone can be a good cook I know lots of people that can cook up a storm but not many of them have the knowledge to be considered a Chef or the appropriate provincial or interprovincial seal to prove it. I've seen the pictures of the food there, and while I have never eaten there I hear the good reports. The pictures show dated plating techniques and poor execution of skills required ( see the Frenching on the lamb chops) and terrible menu descriptions, so far I'm not tempted to eat there. Bruce's rants and raves don't help.
Last edited by kingofmen on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

seal

Post by teatrolimon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:44 pm

thanks for the free advertising lol

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:37 pm

The pictures show dated plating techniques and poor execution of skills required ( see the Frenching on the lamb chops) and terrible menu descriptions,
Jeez, I never thought I'd be defending Bruce.... but Cripes you're damning all us middle aged yahoos with that remark. Majority of us can' afford to go to places that cost fifty to a hundred bucks a person per night, and wouldn't know a plating technique whether displayed on our food plate or the frame around our dogs playing pool picture.

Even Bruce's worst detractors acknowledge his skill in the kitchen, the quality of his product, and the fact you will remain in good health once you've ended his dining experience. They just don't 'like' him.

God, that almost hurt writing this.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:58 pm

The pictures show dated plating techniques and poor execution of skills required ( see the Frenching on the lamb chops) and terrible menu descriptions, so far I'm not tempted to eat there.

Well excuse me for not being totally literate in the art of describing what we had that night. And if you don't want to eat there, HEY that is your right. We have dined at many a place in Vallarta besides Teatro Limon... I spent a small fortune one night for 4 of us to dine at Trio's. The next night we were at Teatro Limon, and trust me Bruce's lamb had more flavor, better texture, and was so much more appeasing on the plate... so what does that say... not much... it is all in the show.... i do not have a degree from the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) or the French Culinary Colleges, but i do know what my taste buds like and enjoy...

Have a great day everybody....

kingofmen
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by kingofmen » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Sorry Ronald that wasn't my intention to cut you down. I bet that left a bad taste in your mouth :? But if I remember correctly you would be spending $50.00 p.p. to eat and drink there. (here you go Bruce here's your chance). I think the problem is that people get into the " PV spirit" and will except something that they might not at home. Like I've said while I haven't eaten there I hear good things. I have no idea what Bruce's qualifications are and I don't know why he considers this good advertising. I do know what I see in those pictures from a professional point of view. I have eaten at other Continental type restaurants in Vallarta and whether it is Trio, La Leche(Petite france), The river Cafe or any of the other offerings around town I have found I wouldn't have been impressed if that restaurant was in Canada. I am however, impressed by the shrimp burger at the Big Burro or the crab in Black bean sauce at Maricos Beto, or the smoked marlin Burrita at Marisima or even the fish on a stick from a beach vendor, so what do I know.
Your a lucky guy, I always wanted that picture of the dogs playing pool.
Bob

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

v

Post by teatrolimon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:39 pm

i have no idea what a "CCC" is

is it a new degree of some sort

C.M.C. hon

and just to claarify when i left canada some five years ago there was no certified master chef program or courses available

also to clarify

a "red seal " holds very little weight in the busines

but most people will ask for it or better qualifications when looking for a chef in canada

harry
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by harry » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:21 pm

ronald wrote:
The pictures show dated plating techniques and poor execution of skills required ( see the Frenching on the lamb chops) and terrible menu descriptions,
Jeez, I never thought I'd be defending Bruce.... but Cripes you're damning all us middle aged yahoos with that remark. Majority of us can' afford to go to places that cost fifty to a hundred bucks a person per night, and wouldn't know a plating technique whether displayed on our food plate or the frame around our dogs playing pool picture.

Even Bruce's worst detractors acknowledge his skill in the kitchen, the quality of his product, and the fact you will remain in good health once you've ended his dining experience. They just don't 'like' him.

God, that almost hurt writing this.
ronald, well said. I agree with you on all 3 paragraphs that you wrote. Just one more thing on the issue of advertising that was mentioned in other posts. Bruce has had very nice large ads every time I have been in PV in the weekly Tribune (or whatever it is called) in PV. It must cost him a plenty. Regards, Harry :D

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

cost

Post by teatrolimon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:38 pm

all advertising cost so far this season

296,000 pesos

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:47 pm

That means he had to pay $21,379.73 USD when he paid his bill. :lol: :lol:

harry
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by harry » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:55 pm

ronald wrote:That means he had to pay $21,379.73 USD when he paid his bill. :lol: :lol:
Wow, that is a big time commitment for just one item on the accounts payable ledger. Even bigger is the 1st class interactive kitchen(s) and dining facility at teatrolimon. Bruce's Back Alley Bistro was no small underaking either. Facilities like this in PV is an expensive undertaking.

I know from now on that I will be more careful in doling out critiques and criticism of places I frequent. Hats off to all of those people that give us fine choices to dine in PV and that have their rear-ends on the line daily. Just hope this swine flu episode doesn't do a bunch our friends in down there.

Still on the docket to depart May 16 for PV but it is wait and see now as to how it goes.

I got into this subject way more than I intended and this will be my last post on this subject.

Regards, Harry :D :lol:

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

kitchen

Post by teatrolimon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:59 am

54,000 us dollars
all bought here locally at el tio sams
yes the kitchen is my trophy

all kitchen aid architecht series ovens and so on

thanks for your suport harry

bruce