to include breakfast and evening drinks or not?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

parisha
PV Fan
PV Fan
to include breakfast and evening drinks or not?

Post by parisha » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi,

I am staying at the Westin and have been offered a room upgrade fo $40 a night for 2 people. This includes breakfast and evening drinks/hors d'eouvres. Would you say this is worth it or not? Would I get breakfast a s few drinks in the evening cheaper outside or take up this offer?

Thanks

PP

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:59 pm

It sounds worth it to me, plus the convenience of knowing you can have breakfast right there in the hotel, rather than having to leave the hotel to find breakfast. Especially if cocktails are included in the evening part, and you would actually get to this event (what are the hours?), I think it would be worth it.

Sally

parisha
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by parisha » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Cocktail hour is from 5.30 to 7.30. They do have an openbar, and you can have whatever and however much that you want......just no bartender to mixyour cocktails -you have to mix it yourself but all dinks practically there.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:02 am

Sounds like a great deal! Hopefully the room with the cocktails and appetizers has a view, rather than cramped into some back room where you would want to limit your time. We like to have cocktails and appetizers while watching the sunset, which obviously varies from month to month. I would think through your usual routine in paradise to figure out if you would actually capitalize on the cocktail hour.

Sally

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

option

Post by teatrolimon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:37 pm

sounds like a pretty good idea..

see if they will offer it to you upon your arival.
this way you get to see what you are getting into!

just a thought

parisha
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by parisha » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57 pm

Are there breakfast places near the Wesin/Marina area? Pricy or cheap? Also drink prices - how much would a margarita/G&T/Beer be?

My friend is trying to lose weight, hence does not want to eat/drink too much hence seeing if the $40 a night i worth it or not.... Any help greatly appreciated.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:36 pm

Mr. Cream in the Marina has a great Breakfast. As does Victors Cafe Tecuba. Your friend can always order some great Fruit platters for Breakfast. Hard to lose weight while in PV, everything is so good.

parisha
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by parisha » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:12 am

Thanks!!! What sort of prices are we talking about? Thanks again....

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

prices

Post by teatrolimon » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:13 pm

mr cream did raise there prices a tad however the prices you pay there for one hell of a breakfast is very fair

the waffles are to die for and the chorizo brand they use for the scrambled eggs is to die for

i like to roll the scrambled eggs into a sft flour tortilla and chow down

not to mention the flavor of his cffee is pretty good to

oh and dont forget hes also open for dinner

ive not been for dinner there yet but some of my customers went there and said they really enjoyed it

the staff are awesome and most speek a little english
but that will not efect your meal

bruce

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:34 pm

Las Palomas Doradas has good breakfast also. Prices are reasonable, service is great and sitting on the patio overlooking the marina is a great place to start your day.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:51 pm

Prices vary widely in different places, but you should be able to get beers for around $2, margaritas for $4. A large pina colada at Cafe de Olla is 70 pesos, I think, and that is about $5.50 (I love those!!). The Cheeky Monkey on the Malecon has an ongoing special of $1 beers and margaritas, and also a list of $2 cocktails.

If both of you are trying to watch your caloric intake, perhaps you would share a typical breakfast (omelet, potatoes, toast). You should be able to have breakfast for about $10-12 total (assuming you would have coffee or tea also). A fruit platter is usually around $5.

Depending on the appetizers at the Westin, you could practically make that your "dinner," and if you get hungry later (10 pm), you can hit a taco stand for $1 tacos or share an entree at a restaurant.

The exchange rate now is about 13 pesos per dollar, which is really great, and so most restaurant prices are very reasonable for Americans. I am usually really careful with my diet, to maintain weight, but in Puerto Vallarta, I don't worry about it too much. I make sure to exercise daily (even if it is just walking for an hour), and that helps! I usually avoid buffet situations as I don't want to overeat, so I understand your dilemna.

Sally

parisha
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by parisha » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:39 am

Thanks Sally, foun your rel really useful. Will discuss what you have written and the decide if we go for the deal or not.

Reading the guides they say lunch is the main meal of the day in Mexico. Would you agree or better to stick to the western way and have light lunch, biggish dinner or do what the guide say - largish lunch small dinner/snack as lunc ranges frm 1-5pm?

Thanks again.

Parisha

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:58 am

parisha wrote:Thanks Sally, foun your rel really useful. Will discuss what you have written and the decide if we go for the deal or not.

Reading the guides they say lunch is the main meal of the day in Mexico. Would you agree or better to stick to the western way and have light lunch, biggish dinner or do what the guide say - largish lunch small dinner/snack as lunc ranges frm 1-5pm?

Thanks again.

Parisha
Toss the clock..You are on vacation..Right?

Eat when the tummy grumbles..
snack when you get a craving...

To heck with guide lines and schedules...

Do what you want to do ...Not what others say you should do.... :)

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:42 am

I agree with Sylvia----- do what you want to do.

I tend to eat the same way I would eat at home, regular American breakfast food (cereal, fruit, yogurt or splurge with eggs, etc), regular size lunch (sandwich, prawn cocktail, or fish taco), and then a bigger dinner, which I try to keep to a reasonable portion since I want to have energy to go out after dinner!! Dancing at Andale's, Roxy, or La Bodeguita del Medio---- you have to burn off those extra pina colada calories!!

If we go at a time of year when the sunset is late (like June, 9 pm sunset), we tend to eat dinner really late since we like to watch the sunset first!! If you go to PV in the winter, sunset is much earlier, and thus dinner earlier. So your eating pattern just depends on what you think your routine is going to be.

Sally

parisha
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by parisha » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:23 am

Hi both Sylvia and Sally,

Thanks both, great advice!!!! We are going end Oct - so I guess it will be darker slightly earlier.......

P

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 am

Yes, it will be sunset a little earlier. Also, remember that PV goes back to Central Standard time on 10/25, the US not until 11/1. We will be there at that same time frame.

parisha
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by parisha » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi, I get there on 28/10 and leave on 4/11. Should meet up for a drink or 2 .....

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

listo

Post by teatrolimon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:28 pm

las palomas is now permanently closed in the marina

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:32 pm

Bruce, is that Las Palomas or Las Palomas Doradas? 2 different places.

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

ah yes

Post by teatrolimon » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:48 am

the one that is closed is the one with the same name as the one on the malecon

ill also point out that the one on the malecon is still open

sorry for any missinformation

bruce
Last edited by teatrolimon on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.