Recommend restaurants in PV

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

parisha
PV Fan
PV Fan
Recommend restaurants in PV

Post by parisha » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi,

Can you recommend some cheap, middle and 1 decedant restaurant in PV. We are staying at the Westin, so round the Marina area would be fab. Tried PortoBello last year.

I get to PV on wed 28 Oct.

CaballioDiablo
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by CaballioDiablo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:57 pm

Every one allways raves about Victors in the marina, but I wouldn't recommend it. The nite we were there our waiter was a complete disaster, and IMHO the food was mediocre. It's ambiance and Victor coming over for a tequila shot with your party after dinner helped, but he does that with every table. I would recommend Cafe de Olla, on the southside. Very reasonably priced and authentic Mexican food, huge margarita's, and all very moderately priced. Barcelona Tapas is good, only downside here is real average sangria, but has anyone ever had a good sangria in Mexico? :twisted:

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:58 pm

CaballioDiablo wrote:Every one allways raves about Victors in the marina, but I wouldn't recommend it. The nite we were there our waiter was a complete disaster, and IMHO the food was mediocre. It's ambiance and Victor coming over for a tequila shot with your party after dinner helped, but he does that with every table. I would recommend Cafe de Olla, on the southside. Very reasonably priced and authentic Mexican food, huge margarita's, and all very moderately priced. Barcelona Tapas is good, only downside here is real average sangria, but has anyone ever had a good sangria in Mexico? :twisted:
I've had very good sangria in Mexico, made by a woman from Spain who co-owns La Esquina de los Caprichos on Mina and Iturbide.

As far as a decadent place for dinner goes, I now highly recommend Hacienda San Angel in Gringo Gulch. Last year I thought the food was mediocre even though the surroundings are awesomely beautiful. I went for dinner again last week and the food lived up to the rest of the place.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:22 am

La Esquina de los Caprichos is at the corner of Miramar and Iturbide. I have never had the sangria there, but I'll have to try it. This darling tiny restaurant is worth the hike up-- pretty steep for 2 -3 blocks.

Hacienda San Angel is just down the street on Miramar. Lovely place. Has a website.

Sally

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:08 pm

Sally, thanks for correcting the location. I walk there from my condo and don't pay too much attention to the address.

Ellen

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Directions

Post by smitty » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Sure Ellen - it was the terrain not the sangria that fogged your memory ! :) Lucky you in PV - you better keep us informed on what is happening in your life - please ! :)

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Directions

Post by ellen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:08 am

smitty wrote:Sure Ellen - it was the terrain not the sangria that fogged your memory ! :) Lucky you in PV - you better keep us informed on what is happening in your life - please ! :)
Smitty, how much time do you have? It's pretty busy down here. Tonight was Einstien's dinner at Rick and Sarah's, last night was La Esquina de los Caprichos, Halloween was the party at Casa Isabel, Sunday was brunch at Lindo Mar followed later in the afternoon by a visit to La Huerta. I had drinks one afternoon with pvdeb at Burro's Bar. Ah, the list goes on and on and on and........

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:15 am

ellen if you see pvdeb again please give her a hug and hello from me....a very special sweet lady... :)

keep enjoying

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:55 am

Plus4 wrote:ellen if you see pvdeb again please give her a hug and hello from me....a very special sweet lady... :)

keep enjoying
Will do.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:18 am

Around the Marina
cheap - Ocho's tostados.....great food and local prices.

Las Palomas Doradas.......medium price, great outdoor dining or inside in A/C if you prefer it.

Victors or Portabello would be my choice for higher end dining in the Marina.

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

on the cheaper side

Post by teatrolimon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:03 pm

agree with ocho tostados
there shrinp is great tasting

also mr cream is now open for dinner
if there succes is any indiation of what is happening for a dinner menu than it should be worth a try for some people
mywife and i went for dinner when they first open for dinner last year
it was pretty darn good

bruce

parisha
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by parisha » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:50 pm

Went to Banana Fajitas, Victors, Ochos Tostadas in the Marina, and La Palapa on the southside.

Enjoyed the food very much.

PV was amazing quiet this year compared to same time last year......

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Restaurants in PV

Post by garyrbeck » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:49 pm

There are so many good to fine places in the PV area it is hard to pick 2 or 3. It has become #2 in MX culinary efforts surpassed only by Mexico City! I own and edit a guide for them and keep current , uploading about 4 X year. It is on cafepress/vallartaguide and I distribute some locally at places like PVRPV. Cafe des Artistes is my fave follwed by Trio and River Cafe, add on Teatro Limon, El Arrayan, Barcelona Tapas, La Palapa, Tikul, Boca Bento [Mismaloya] and Real y Mina in San Sebastian. That is just for starters not to mention all my mom and pop spots and the marvelous street food which I have learned which are good and safe for gringos! 8)

Crawland
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Crawland » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:26 am

I think one more place that you should test out is Agave Grill at La Casa de Tequilla. This is a sister restaurant of Barcelona and is also awfully excellent. One thing you possibly will want to remember is that a large part of the appeal of Puerta Vallarta is that the restaurant view is very varied.

Best Regards,

gsc
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Restaurants

Post by gsc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:57 pm

Mauricios, behind Home depot has the best huge shrimp platters - enough for 2 for about $17.00. Have other dishes too but mostly seafood.

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Restaurants

Post by garyrbeck » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:02 pm

gsc wrote:Mauricios, behind Home depot has the best huge shrimp platters - enough for 2 for about $17.00. Have other dishes too but mostly seafood.
Mauricio's opened in SouthSide right across from Coco's Kitchen but I have not gotten good reports of clientele volume . Seems they still prefer heading north to the original. I have not tried the newer one yet. Same menu, prices have gone up just a bit as I observed. Still huge portions and generous with extras tossed in. 8)

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:47 am

I have made this recommendation before...and I must do so again!

Casa Melissa's

Josefa O. De Dominguez, No. 223-A,
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
# 322-2230766 - Closed Sundays
(Located half block below Si' Senor..2 blocks up from Malecon)

These are some of the nicest people and best food I have tasted...and way affordable. They go out of their way to treat me and my family like a member of their family.

Amazing fresh variety of food...if you have never tried the MX delicacy of Huitlacoche Camarones..no one does it better!