Reccomendations: Tacos Al Pastor?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sparky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sparky » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:52 pm

travelbug_jp wrote:If it wasn't safe to eat they would be out of business.

Joyce
I hear a lot of guys getting sick from Food in Mexico, and specially in Mexico they do not have Food inspectors like we have.
Just think of it, 18" of meat hanging in +26-30C Temperature, how long does it take to start smelling? :shock: 2 Days at the most, and those guys have it there for a week if not longer ( I Watched it ) or is that the SPECIAL flavor :shock:
I am not running the whole thing into the Ground, but would like to hear from somebody who knows. I am there end of January and would like to try it, if it is safe.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:56 pm

Hey Sparky,

let me tell you a little secret...99% of all travel related sickness has nothing to do with food posioning.

People go to a different country, party non-stop, eat like crazy, drink more than they should and then do it for like 5-10 days in a row....oh yeah and then eat foods that are prepared differently or compltely exotic to their system.

I bet a lot of people do get sick....Mexico has very little to do with that.

my 2 cents

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:26 pm

I am not running the whole thing into the Ground, but would like to hear from somebody who knows. I am there end of January and would like to try it, if it is safe.[/quote]

Seeing as how I've eaten this kind of food on dozens of occasions, in Mexico, I would say that I do know as do many of the others on this board that have tried it. The meat doesn't just hang there, it is turning on a spit, cooking. Think of it as a vertical rotisserie for your bbq.

I agree with glacieroasters, if you drink, party, eat food they are not used to and don't hydrate with water of course you will get sick.

Joyce

sparky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sparky » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks for the replies it will be my 3rd time in PV and I am looking forward to enjoy it, I probably will dare trying that Food ( it looks as if it tastes really good) , My Friend always scared me away from it

catlee
PV Fan
PV Fan

Love Tacos al Pastor

Post by catlee » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:25 pm

We tried Takos Pancho this last week. Excellent and extremely economical!!
Nice people -- only open in the evenings.

losblanos
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by losblanos » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:32 am

Takos Pancho’s
Basilio Badillo 162, El Centro

Las Güeras
V. Carranza & Naranjo, El Centro

Pepe’s Tacos
Honduras 173, El Centro

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:32 am

Oh thank you losblanos. I knew someone would know the address of Pepe's.
I walk right past the one on Naranjo when I get my fruit and veg from the market a block or two past Naranjo. It always smells so good but I've never stopped there. I will make a point of it in the very near future!

Joyce

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by darla » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:13 pm

Oh my!!! This looks really good. where exactly on the malecon can I find this? Hubby and I are going to be there in Feb and this looks like a must have.

cabron
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by cabron » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Takos Pancho’s

Las Güeras

Pepe’s Tacos
Honduras 173, El Centro
The first two are not in El Centro (Colonia Centro) they are on the south side (Colonia Emiliano Zapata). Neither is Pepe's it's in Colonia 5 de Diciembre.
I don't know of one near the Malecón.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:28 pm

A local was telling me to go to a taco stand "around the corner from Mandala and up 1-2 blocks" and this is only open at night. He said to get a "Volcano" there. I have had the volcano at Takos Panchos and they are really good.

Anyway, this is near the Malecon, and would be good for those late night munchies after dancing at a club on the Malecon.

Sally

losblanos
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by losblanos » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:05 am

cabron wrote:
Takos Pancho’s

Las Güeras

Pepe’s Tacos
Honduras 173, El Centro
The first two are not in El Centro (Colonia Centro) they are on the south side (Colonia Emiliano Zapata). Neither is Pepe's it's in Colonia 5 de Diciembre.
I don't know of one near the Malecón.
Pepe's is on Honduras.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=20.6 ... 3,,0,-2.14

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:32 pm

I found a great little place with the volcano wheel 10 steps off the Malecon - It is located on the north side of the bridge on the Malecon where it crosses the rio cuale.

Amazing food- that is all i can say - some seriously amazing food!

The guy is kind of an entertainer with that big knife as well as he cuts and carves your Taco el pastor to order- He cuts a piece of pineapple off the top of the volcano for each taco = what is cool is how he flips it in the air and catches it with the taco in his other hand.

He rarely if ever misses either.

amazing homemade sauces and salsa, beans, etc.

I think I have a few pics, I will post later

vex
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by vex » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:07 pm

We ran across a place that's only open at night, a block or so north of the Malecon, on the same side of the road. They use wood to fire their Trompo instead of gas. The charcoal from the wood fire gives the Al Pastor another dimension of taste...

chefcman
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Panchos

Post by chefcman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Takos Panchos has the best on the south side and probably in town

mykul
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mykul » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 pm

I have never had an issue with street food in Mexico.

And I can't speak for other states, but my fiance's parents are in the street vending business in Aguascalientes and there are indeed health inspectors that come around, purchase food and send it to a lab for analysis. If there is an issue they will recind your license and shut you down.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Back about a week now and missing my street food. Try the grilled fennel (baby onions) at Tako Panchos. Yum!!! Anyway... Friends of mine stayed at Dreams at mismaloya. 1/3 of their group got sick.... AI. The resort told them not to eat in town. I was in town two weeks and my body behaved perfectly normally. Considering all the fresh margaritas, cervazas and "street meat" (as I lovingly refer to it) I had I figure I'll stick with my way of eating.

thisisthis
PV Fan
PV Fan

PVR FOOD

Post by thisisthis » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:01 am

been going to pvr for 12 years. never, ever, ever (repeat, never) got sick once from anything -- food, water, drink, anything. got a throat thing once that i think i caught from my partner, who probably got it on the plane. even if not, never ever any stomach/intestinal issues. i totally believe it's because some people just have issues with traveling/new places/new foods/too much alcohol if they're not used to it (not a problem here), . . .

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Sick? Not

Post by oneistwo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:57 pm

I second what thisisthis just said. I (her aformentioned partner and recently husband) seem to be susceptible to upper respiratory things a couple days after arriving, on about a third of our trips. The only sensible conclusion is it comes from breathing cabin air. And sometimes my digestive tract needs to adjust a little, but nothing I would call illness. Other than one of those respiratory infections, the only serious debilitation was self-inflicted, one night at Andale's.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:09 am

Yea!!!! going back in a couple of weeks!! More grilled fennel for me!!!

edlin68
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by edlin68 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:09 am

we eat here every year and love it. Perfect size tacos and so many varieties....Making me hungry thinking about it.