Raicilla

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master
Raicilla

Post by chrisnick » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Soo.......I tried this for the first time in...lets see.....about 1980?? Yikes I'm old!! LOL....

Tried it in Yelapa and it came in a mason jar. Tried it again a few years ago on one of the zip line tours. We had one shot and my girlfriend swore she felt funny all day! LOL...I didn't notice anything and while talking to the bartender mentinoned my much eariler experience with the stuff. He said...that was the "REAL" Raicilla as apparently now it is a regulated product. Just curious if anyone has tried it lately and what its like now.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Got some in San Sebastian last trip. It is really good. Very smooth but has the kick of the stuff from El Tuito. It was not the new regulated Racilla.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Is San Sebastian far from PV?? Looking to go to some out of town places anyway...What kind of town is it?

cabron
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by cabron » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:17 pm

San Sebastian is a 1.5 drive from PV, you really need a car for a day trip as by bus you would not have much time in town. There are also some tours there. "La Punta" Raicilla is the original unregulated one, at around 150 proof. the regulated commercial product is only 85. The original Raicilla is available in Et Tuito and at Tony's distillery, on the way to San Sebastian at El Nogalito, but you'll have to ask him for it.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:24 pm

chrisnick wrote:Is San Sebastian far from PV?? Looking to go to some out of town places anyway...What kind of town is it?
It is a couple hour drive up into the mountains.

Amazing little mountain town.

I would venture there are 500-1000 residents...at one time it was home to 25K during the Silver and Gold Boom.

We stayed here and loved it...

http://www.haciendajalisco.com/

they can probably arrange a driver to shuttle you up there and back for a fee, if you would like. It is not the 4 seasons- but amazing none the less.

The tours are fine...but we felt like we were watching a Disney land tour group move through as we mixed right in with the locals that spend the day with us showing us the "real" town!

There is something about staying in a nearly 2 century old hacienda.

The place is alive, if you know what I mean.

:P

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:24 pm

And how far is El Nogalito? These two places are there?? Not sure how badly I want this stuff...lol..although I do have a friend who lives in PV and he has a car. Maybe I will ask him to pick some up for me!

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:27 pm

This place looks incredible. We are in PV for two weeks and did want to overnight somewhere else. Maybe this is the place to go...Anything else to explore here? I prefer not to go on the tours as they are to....touristy...lol I know, I know...I am a tourist...

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 pm

chrisnick wrote:This place looks incredible. We are in PV for two weeks and did want to overnight somewhere else. Maybe this is the place to go...Anything else to explore here? I prefer not to go on the tours as they are to....touristy...lol I know, I know...I am a tourist...
GO!!!

A great place to base camp if you were to spend 2 nights - they are really good people as well, a real experience.

Tell Joe, you want to eat lunch one day at Lupita's

Most amazing Mole and Machacha (spelling???) I have had anywhere.

I would consider living in San Sebastian, very quiet.

Love the Agave Fields.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:15 pm

What is Machacha??

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:14 pm

chrisnick wrote:What is Machacha??
A spiced, sun dried, chopped/shredded beef.

Usually found breakfast with eggs (Machaca Con Huevos) and fresh salsa.

It is also used in some lunch/diner combination...

I rarely pass on it if i see it, there are so many different ways to prepare and use it...I love it. Never disappointed no matter where I have ordered it.

Le Bistro in PV has it...it is wonderful.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:23 pm

I'm thinking I might like it since I love beef jerky!

cabron
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by cabron » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:19 pm

El Nogalito is just before La Estancia, where the road to San Sebastian branches off the main highway.
Montebello (previously Real y Minas) in San Sebastian has, IMO, the best Italian food in Jalisco.

rosie

Post by rosie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:31 pm

I bought a bottle of raicilla on the same trip as Howardjax; it's very smooth and dangerous lol! I found it in a small tienda on the main square; 110 pesos and no labels. I was worried it would be confiscated on the flight home, it was wrapped and buried well enuf in my checked baggage and it made it home. We took a daytrip to San Sebastian with Vallarta Adventures and can highly recommend it. The coffee plantation and lunch at Lupita's were a couple of the hilites.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:34 pm

We are thinking we should spend a night in the villa. Do you know if it is hard to get in?? Do we have to make reservations quite a bit ahead of time?

The raicilla sounds delicious...lol....I am a tequila girl and I remember the smokey taste of this liquor. Also the serious kick..to be ejoyed with friends only!

rosie

Post by rosie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 am

Chris, the raicilla I bought at SB doesn't have a smokey flavour, certainly has the kick tho!

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:01 am

chrisnick wrote:We are thinking we should spend a night in the villa. Do you know if it is hard to get in?? Do we have to make reservations quite a bit ahead of time?
Always a good idea to practice the "sooner the better" theory, I'm sure.

You know how that goes.

8)

P.s. I have no ties to the place whatsoever, just a satisfied guest.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Raicilla, from illegal moonshine to glory

Post by webmaster » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:28 pm

New article on Raicilla, from moonshine distillate to an accepted beverage.

Things have changed a lot these last years.

http://www.puertovallarta.net/fast_facts/raicilla.php

Greetings

Mogens