Tequila 7 Leguas Anego

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Chrisnik: There's only a couple places we've found in NJ and PA that make a decent margarita, and we were sorely disappointed a couple years ago in Key West. Yes Margaritaville serves a sugary concoction that has no resemblance to a margarita. So we get most of ours in PV. The other 50 weeks a year we mix our own.

Since I brought it up:
1) one shot juice from a lime
2) one shot triple sec
3) two shots tequila (we usually use Sauza Blanco; cheap but not rotgut)
4) (optional) if the lime juice is too bitter, maybe a half teaspoon of superfine sugar, or even a little Splenda or equivalent.
5) Do not drive, operate heavy machinery, or sign legal documents.

As you can see I've discovered that the secret ingredient in a good margarita is tequila, which is used far to sparingly in most bars up here. The more expensive ones in bars at least around here "upgrade" from the supercheap stuff to JC Gold (which is crap; ask for the JC Traditional if they have it. That's a legit resposado) and from Triple Sec to Cointreau, which is unnecessary. They taste better because they're hand mixed rather than by machine, and there's just so much syrup they can fit in the glass. But if they put their mind to it they can even make a hand mixed one taste like lemonade.

Say "research" with a smile. :-) We try to experiment with at least two different brands each year we go to PV, one high end and one in the middle. If the mid-range one doesn't cut it, then it goes into the margaritas. The high-end ones are all drinkable; it's a matter of deciding whether to get another bottle to bring home. The other research is bar-hopping, then trying to remember where it was we had the best ones.

pvgemini: Cazadores, to my taste, is in that middle ground: not quite good enough to drink neat, but a little expensive for margaritas.

I agree with you 100% on the shots. Doing shots is an express for getting a buzz, so it doesn't matter what you use (maybe the Cazadores).

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:40 am

I love you, oneistwo!!!

Cazadores reminds me of Mexico. We have it at home, here in Portland, Oregon, and when we make a good margarita to drink on the deck in the summer, on the rocks (of course), we take a sip, sit back, and say "Aaaaaahhhhhh, wish I was in PV."

A restaurant manager admitted to me that the junk tequila that they give away as complimentary shots costs them $4 USD per gallon. Oh my God!!

Might as well tank up all the cute women so they can try to get laid--- or "lei----ed" in Chrisnick's case!!

All I know, is that it does not really matter which tequila, which lime, which sweetener, but just being in PV with fun people and relaxing space.......that is the true magic.

Sally

islena
PV Fan
PV Fan

el caballo mas estimada 7 Leguas

Post by islena » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:41 am

7 Leguas is one of my favorite songs.
Of course you all already know that 7 Leguas is
the name of the horse?
I didn't he has a tocayo (namesake) tequila !
Now I'm intrigued to look for it,
probably at the Duty Free.

I've had my share of Cazadores,
but prefer Herradura.

salud !

Islena

michael
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by michael » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:34 am

I always buy at the Super LaPlaya just up the hill from Rolling Stone. Seems to have better prices than the other stores in town. 8) 8)