The Old El Dorado

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
The Old El Dorado

Post by poppy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Oh, sad that the Old Eldorado is gone. It was really one of my favorite places. The new place has a long way to go on ambiance, furniture and service, but I have to say, the food was pretty good. Stuart (Boca Bento) recommended the crab cakes (they were really kick a$$ crabcakes), the fish tacos (Baja style) and we had custom made pizzas. Besides, beach shopping at the rail is always the best, even though we are used to having it on the beach. 8)

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:57 am

How would you compare the food to the Beach House and La Palapa? Never ate at Boca Bento when it was in town or Mismaloya. We always enjoyed The El Dorado, but found (in our opinion) that it had slipped the past couple of years.

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Comparing Beach House, LaPalapa and New El Dorado

Post by poppy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Sorry, I've never tried the Beach House. I've only shared my one experience at the new El Dorado. La Palapa is a lovely restaurant, expensive and I'm not sure the food warrants the hefty prices, but the service is excellent and the ambiance is perfect. Again, in my opinion, a definite Vallarta experience.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:09 pm

Just returned from PV, and we had to try the new El Dorado/Boca Bento. I was sad to see that the old waiters are gone. Willy from Italy waited on us; he was extremely nice and efficient, and very interesting to look at, with his multiple piercings and tatoos!

They no longer charge you to sit under a palapa. We ordered yummy pina coladas which came in real glasses. There were 5 of us, and we tried the guacamole, calamari, margarita pizza, tortilla soup, chicken satay with peanut dipping sauce, and the Caesar salad. All were tasty! We had a bucket of beer and some margaritas later. All were good. Spent nearly $100 USD, but it was worth it for 5 people to eat and drink under 2 palapas all afternoon.

Apparently they will remodel in Sept/Oct. For now, it looks about the same as always.

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

El Dorado

Post by poppy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Went back over to El Dorado today to get the jewelry from Mel I should have bought when I as there a couple of days ago. This time we got chips and salsa on the table. I remember the old El Dorado had those pretty green colored chairs and the service was great. Yes, you did get charged for the beach chairs, but it came off your drink tab and the service was excellent. The one thing I did not like about El Dorado were the dogs. A guy took a giant dog into the men's room with him. The woman who runs the place with Stuart had her pit bill titled to a chair in the restaurant. Happy to hear about the good feedback about the food. I admit we had the crab cakes again today.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:55 pm

We had the tortilla soup and margarita pizza, burger with fried onions and french fries. All great! On a par with the El Dorado two years ago. It went down hill when Memo Wulff left. Prices are comparable to the old El Dorado. Plus the competition from the Beach House has hurt them in recent times.

They are tearing down everything starting at the end of May. I expect to see something comparable to AmapaSunset when they are done. That would be great if they hold the line on prices.