Cheeky Monkey was bad!

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

gdremark
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Cheeky Monkey was bad!

Post by gdremark » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Bad service! Had to wait and ask twice or three times for everything! I usually will brush off bad service once and try the place again and this was the second time.

gdremark
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by gdremark » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:49 pm

One thing also to remember follow this link and you will see why he also doesn't want anyone to see anything about the granade attack in PV

http://vallartascene.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15712

And it was bad service!

gdremark
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by gdremark » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:19 am

Old Rick on Vallartascene deleted the rebutal about the distorted facts from troy owner of Cheeky Monkey about the US having over 3X the population and distorting figures. Look up the facts people and don't believe me or the people that have a financial interest. Facts are facts a grenade attack happened and alot more is going on. Be careful!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:19 am

gdremark,

Again save your comments about business owners until you know what you are talking about.

Anyone that takes anything they read on VS as the gospel truth has a serious flaw in judgement. That website was born out of the need for certain people to have the freedom to tell anyone that didn't agree with to take a hike, that is putting it in polite words. They have the philosophy if you don't agree with them then you are wrong and they are right. Rick periodically screams foul, insults everyone and shuts down his board only to come back the next day and act like nothing happened. I take everything that is said on that board with a huge grain of salt.

So my question to you is: Do you live in PV, do you own property in PV, how many times have you actually been in PV. Have you been in the area of the incident in Pitllal? Do you have local people who tells you what really goes on in town?

I am sure others besides myself would like to know where you are getting your vast knowledge of PV from? You have made 9 posts on this forum in total and all have been regarding the cheeky monkey or the grenade "attack" which again was NOT an attack.

gdremark
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by gdremark » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:55 am

I have been going to PV and Mexico since the 80's and I know it very very well.

I have driven around 20k miles in Mexico and have alot of family in Mexico.

And YOU?

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Vallarta Security

Post by aploj » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:58 pm

I´ve been living in Vallarta for 3.5 years now, but visiting since 2001. I happen to have many old friends from school living in other cities in Mexico, mainly Mexico City and Guadalajara.I own a business, I am very good friend of many hotel and restaurant owners, I get on very well with the municipal and State authorities, and on top of that I hired the services of a security expert (same advising local authorities) since 2008, just for advice.

Puerto Vallarta is probably right now one of the most secure cities in Mexico, and compared to the US it would be probably in the top quartile, if not amongst the top 10% safest cities between US and Mexico. The murder rate in Mexico in 2009 was 11 for each 100,000 habitants, in Brazil the rate was 25 for each 100,000 habitants, in Venezuela the rate is 48. The worst city in Mexico, which is Chihuahua has a murder rate of 180 (which is the highest in the Western world), Vallarta´s murder rate was probably around 3.

Since last year, a new drug organization Zetas is trying to enter Vallarta (they are already in Bahia de Banderas), who is a traditional place for El Chapo Guzman. El Chapo is a "soft" drug dealer that just wants to distribute drug quietly, below teh radar screen without killings or violence. Los Zetas are ultra violent, they don´t care for the business, they just want power and control at any cost. Since 2009 there has been a war between both that has affected negatively Vallarta and Bahia de Banderas. But, this war is just between them and their supporters (politicians, police, lawyers, etc), it does not affect "normal" citizens or tourists.

The grenade, which was not an attack, fell from the pocket of a drug dealer in a bar that nobody has ever gone (apart from locals living at El Pitillal). It was an accident that helped arrest some undesireable people. In Vallarta you can drive at night in 80% of the city, walk at night in 80% of the city, during the day in 100% of the city. The most that happen to you if you are unlucky is that you get robbed, or they enter to your house and steal your laptop, or even steal your car while parked, but that is common in every single city in the world. In London, I lived in South Kensington (one of the best areas) and I was robbed, a family was killed two blocks from me while sleeping by 2 "street kids, you couldn´t walk at night in many areas, etc and that is real 1st world.

Mexico is suffering from a problem that should have never happened if it had been tackled many years ago, now is very difficult to solve. But places like Vallarta are safe by all means. I would be much more worried in Mazatlan or Acapulco, which are still safe for western standards.

We all know that here there is corruption, lack of infrastructure, unemployment (which leads to small robberies), etc but that does not mean this is a place where people should not come, or that they should come with caution. That applies to places like Pakistan, Jordania, South Africa, etc where I´ve been, nothing happened to me, but you needed to take care at all times because violence is the day-to-day for those people.

Maybe you don´t know this, but the most prominent businessmen in Vallarta (owners of hotels, large corporations, newspapers, etc) that live here, none of them uses bodyguard or anything similar. Some they do not even use a driver (only during the day), and they are worth US$10 million or more.

the owner of a huge real estate company that lives in mexico city and that has a development in vallarta, he uses 2 security cars in Mexico City and here he just has a driver that takes him around, and he goes to La Leche, De Santos (when it was downtown), and others completely alone after midnight.

That is the beauty of Vallarta, and we should be proud of it. It is true that 3 years ago it was even safer than now. I remember the "policiacas" news being: " a kid stole two bananas from the supermatket and he is now in jail for 2 days"... And now there are some worrying situations, but nothing that directly affects normal citizens, and even less tourists.

I knew the lawyer that was killed 4-5 days ago, he was a good person but dealing with obscure matters (ejido land), and as you saw afterwards, it was a drug related murder (they killed his killer a few hours later).

We should see more of this (not affecting tourists) and we should see a rise in minor robberies (crisis is hitting the unemployment very hard), but I still feel safer here than in many areas of most US cities (starting by New York, LA or San Francisco).

Happy to clarify any doubt if I happen to have any info. Best

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:28 am

(owners of hotels, large corporations, newspapers, etc) that live here, none of them uses bodyguard or anything similar. Some they do not even use a driver (only during the day), and they are worth US$10 million or more.
How much are you asking for the Brooklyn bridge? :roll:

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:53 pm

I love PV and have been going since 1984. I still feel safe there.

That being said the writer that Kat quoted, does not have a clue.

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Imagine same article but referred to Mexico

Post by aploj » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:00 am

The article below (sorry it´s in Spanish) was released yesterday in the international press. An 8 year old kid was stabbed 5 times on the back by a 23 year old man in a restaurant in New York for no reason...

Obviously, this means that nobody should go to New York, but if you´re crazy enough to do it, just stay at your hotel, don´t go to any restaurant, and if you see a man with a knife, run for your life!

Un hombre apuñala a un niño de 8 años en un restaurante de Nueva YorkLa víctima, de ocho años, se recupera en un hospital de Long Island (Nueva York) después de que un hombre de 23 años le asestara cinco puñaladas en la espalda por causas desconocidas. El agresor fue detenido.
2010-10-10
El menor se encontraba con sus padres en el restaurante Dave & Buster's de Westbury cuando fue atacado por un desconocido que se había acercado a él por detrás con un cuchillo de caza, informó la cadena CNN en su edición digital.

El niño jugaba con un vídeojuego y sus padres se encontraban cerca. Su padre se enfrentó al hombre con la ayuda de otro cliente para retenerle antes de que éste pudiera abandonar el local.

La policía llegó poco después al lugar y detuvo al agresor, identificado como Evan Sachs, procedente de Merrik (Nueva York).

El autor de ataque, que no conocía al niño, ha sido acusado de intento de homicidio.
También podría afrontar cargos por agresión y posesión de un arma mortal.

El niño, que logró llegar hasta su madre, que estaba a unos seis metros de él, tiene un pulmón colapsado pero su situación es estable y se recupera en el Hospital Winthorp de Long Island.

CHEEKY MONKEY
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by CHEEKY MONKEY » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:48 pm

I was recently forwarded this message and felt the need to register for this forum in order to respond.

The original message, posted on Aug 30, 2010 mentioned having received bad service. Now, normally I would be concerned and address the situation with my staff. Except in this case, we were closed at that time, in fact we had been closed for nearly 2 months. The Cheeky Monkey has for the past 4 years now, taken our summer vacation and closed during July, August and then reopen in Mid-September. So a complaint made August 30th seems odd. But, they then go on to be upset about a post I made at that time, on a different website.

If the reason to make a complaint about the Cheeky Monkey was really because of 'not liking' what I wrote some where else, I find that odd and a little bit sad. If the intent is to try to use the anonymity of the internet to hurt my business because you don't agree with things you have that option. Judging by the responses to that post, it seems everyone understood the humor and the intent to comment on peoples fears of 'others' to be something we all need to move past. Trust me, nothing that I or anyone else could post on a message board would in anyway stop people from getting news, whether its from a newspaper, online news service or internet search engine. I apologize for not having that much power (but if I did it would be AWESOME lol).

One great thing about PV is that there are so many choices when it comes to restaurants and bars. While we do try to make every guest happy, I certainly understand that the Cheeky Monkey is not what 100% of people may want. But for someone to claim on Aug 30 that they received bad service when we were closed for 2 months and connect that to a recent message made at the time is a little confusing to me.

Perhaps they had been to the Cheeky Monkey many months earlier and finally got around to making a comment. That is definitely a possibility, and if that is indeed the case, then I do thank you for trying the Cheeky Monkey and it absolutely understandable that we are not what you are looking for.

Sincerely,
Troy Valens

iyamscifi2
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by iyamscifi2 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:54 pm

i was in the restaurant business for 40 years and ya can't please all the people all of the time. with that said ...

troy--we were at the cheeky monkey and enjoyed the service, food, drinks, and view. so do many other people...i'm also sure there may be others that feel the way the poster does---but tcm is a landmark as well as a well established business. a good indication is you are now hosting some of the board meetings. we will be visiting at christmas and hope to finally meet you in person. :)

wyoblu
PV Fan
PV Fan

Cheeky Monkey

Post by wyoblu » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:34 am

We have been vacationing in Vallarta for many years, and I am sad to say that until last year, we had never been to the Cheeky Monkey. Friends that we made many years ago in Vallarta took us there last year. We had an absolute blast, and are so sorry that we missed it for so many years. Our only excuse being there are so many fabulous places to go in Vallarta, sometimes you miss a real gem. The food is good, drinks are fabulous, and the people are wonderful. According to our friends, the owner was not there that particular stop; but we will be back on Saturday and will be heading to the Cheeky Monkey for sure. As has been said previously, you can't please everyone; but we are certainly fans of the Cheeky Monkey. See you soon.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:22 am

If you click on the original posters name and look at all the posts he has made. You will no longer feel the need to respond to his comments.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:40 am

The article below (sorry it´s in Spanish) was released yesterday in the international press. An 8 year old kid was stabbed 5 times on the back by a 23 year old man in a restaurant in New York for no reason...

Obviously, this means that nobody should go to New York, but if you´re crazy enough to do it, just stay at your hotel, don´t go to any restaurant, and if you see a man with a knife, run for your life!
This has absolutely nothing to do with Puerto Vallarta. I don't know who you think you are trying to fool with your supposed vast knowledge of Puerto Vallarta. The information you are posting either has nothing to do with PV or you contradict yourself so many times it is clear you are blowing smoke.

People come to this website to learn about Puerto Vallarta, not for a world history lesson or your opinion of New York.

You tell people to go to the restaurants that the locals go to and not the tourist places and then you go on and on about the "trendy" La Leche restaurant being better than Kaiser Maximillian (both of which are not restaurants locals frequent). In another post you ask where you can find a good "local" restaurant for authentic mexican food. I find it really hard to believe that you have llived in PV or is it Nuevo? for the past 3.5 years, and you don't know where to find a local authentic mexican food restaurant.

Sorry, you know what they say... If you can't baffle them with brilliance, befuddle them with BS, it's not working. :roll:

gdremark
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by gdremark » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:07 pm

This was when I was there Xmas and new years

nwyenko
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Cheeky Monkey

Post by nwyenko » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:23 am

This is my first post. We have been going to Puerto Vallarta since the early 80's and spending 2 months a year for the last 12 years. I started to respond to the negative post regarding the "poor" service at the Cheeky Monkey :( . I knew it was closed in August when the post was made and am glad Troy responded. We discovered the CM 3 years ago and make it a regular stop almost daily. When Troy learned we had lost our older son on 1/24/2004 he invited us to join hlm for a special dinner this last January at a resaurant of our choosing on that date. We have found him to be one of the most thoughtful individuals we have known. I also really enjoy discussing the economics of the U.S. as well as what is going on in Puerto Vallarta. I am looking forward to seeing him the 2nd of November when we return for 3 weeks :D . I referred the mother of one of my coworkers to try the CM and she ended up ther 4 nights in a row. Jim