Upcoming restaurants

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Upcoming restaurants

Post by aploj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:13 pm

"Breaking news" There are two new restaurants in PV that should open pretty soon:

- One is an Indian restaurant, which is led by the famous Indian chef Paul Ballah (first 3-star Indian restaurant in LA back in the 70-80s). He is now moving to PV and will be serving pretty soon authentic Indian food (very much welcome in PV)

- The other is an existing restaurant (Los Xitomates), wich is well known for its gourmet Mexican food. They will be modifying significantly its concept by introducing a Mexican tapas menu. It will be more affordable, maintaining its gourmet quality, but a more relaxed concept with tapas to share of classic Mexican recipes, keeping the classic "a la carte" menu for those who want to eat 3 course menu... Another good reason to visit PV!

As soon as I get to know more new openings I will post them here

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:09 pm

He is now moving to PV and will be serving pretty soon authentic Indian food (very much welcome in PV)
So does this mean he is still in the process of moving? Does he have a name, location, opening date? This post doesn't help much when it is a phantom restaurant. Alot of people when they read posts like this put the place on a list of places they would like to try, but with no name or location that is pretty much impossible.

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Location wil be in marina vallarta, he is already living in PV. Opening date depends on when he´s able to start the refurbishment, but he wants to open in 4-5 weeks from now. Name: India My India by Paul Bhalla. Very preliminary info, but already a reality that he is opening here

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

new

Post by teatrolimon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:30 pm

very interesting. Recently Paul had a meeting with my wife and I in regards to sourcing product and furnishings> Paul had a place in Mexico before

Paul told us he was going to be taking over a small portion af what used to be a place next to Los Xitomates

now i am really confused

Bruce

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Yes, it did not work as it was expensive to refurbish, he is now about to close at Marina Vallarta

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

rests.

Post by garyrbeck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Look for Casa de Tandoor reopening fairly soon at its Olas Altas location. We ate there quite a few times last spring and loved the food and prices. It has been missed.

Xitomates has suffered since Luis Fitch left. Used to be 5* dining and no one ever talks about the place. It is pricy and everyone does not wish to spend that kind of pesos on a meal they do not know will be good or not. I myself have not dined there in about 1.5 years. I wish them much luck. Tapas has been the rage here the last couple years. Springing up everywhere! Anyone samples the food please post so we know.

8)

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:52 pm

I went to Casa de Tandoor a couple of times, and the food is good and prices are good too (let´s see if they keep it that way). I´ve been living 8 years in London (best Indian restaurants in the world, probably better than in India), and Casa de Tandoor would be quite average, but because in Vallarta we do not have any good Indian restaurant to compare, this one is a bright little star in a dark starless sky!

Given Vallarta´s restaurant tradition, we need a couple of Indian restaurants of high quality authentic Indian food, which we will probably have pretty soon, and I´m really looking forward to it!

Regarding Xitomates, I completely agree. There were 3 or 4 plates that they prepared extremely well (Pulpo a los 3 chiles, seafood tagliatelle, sopa de fideos secos...) but the rest was a question mark... I hope that this new concept would bring them back to the quality they used to have (and bring prices down too)!

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

foodies!

Post by garyrbeck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Well put. I reduced Xitomates entry size in my dining guide a while ago cafepress.com/vallartaguide
London excells in Indian so I have been told so many times.

8)

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:17 pm

Well, my question would be then: is there any good Mexican restaurant in Vallarta? And when I mean Mexican I´m talking about the real Mexican food: molcajete, pozole, chile relleno, sopes, lengua, carnitas, huitlacoche, manitas de cerdo, etc

We have many Mexican restaurants from closer to Tex Mex (Pipis, Si Señor, many at the Malecon) to more authentic (Arrayan being my favourite right now), but none of them combines the traditional Mexican food (like the one above) with good prices (Arrayan is expensive at the end)...
It shouldn´t be more than 200 pesos per person and it should have authentic Mexican food (not adapted for tourists), which at the end, I believe whoever comes to Mexico would like to taste real Mexican food, as they already have "Mexican" restaurants back in the US!

If you happen to know one, please let me know, as I would be more than glad to give it a try

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by garyrbeck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Yes I know of several. Check my dining guide as that is my business. Enjoy!

8)

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:37 pm

They are now both open. Paul Bhalla´s Bombay Brasserie opened a couple of weeks ago in Nima Bay Marina Vallarta, just went once and it was fantastic experience, real Indian food and great ambiance (many tables waiting outside for quite long...)

The other one, La Esquina del Tomatillo, is downtown, where Los Xitomates used to be. It´s the same chef but with a new menu (more Mexican tapas, and cheaper). been there twice already and everything was delicious, from the duck tacos, tender loin (best ever had) and the chocolate truffle cake. I repeated nearly the same menu again a couple of days later...

Good additions to Vallarta´s culinary scene

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by garyrbeck » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 pm

I met Paul over at Pincho and Ole Spansh Tapas Lounge and he was very interesting and promises some excellent Indian cuisine. Kudos. Glad also that Los Xitomates has undergone a welcome change.

8)