Best Pizza in Viejo Vallarta

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Tranquilo
PV Fan
PV Fan
Best Pizza in Viejo Vallarta

Post by Tranquilo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm looking for the best wood-fire pizza in Viejo Vallarta? Any better elsewhere?

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:02 am

IMHO Cafe Roma has the best pizza in PV... that award by some International group about a year ago said pretty much the same too.

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:30 pm

sincerely, I do not believe Cafe Roma has the best pizza in town. It´s a very nice concept of restaurant, but to state best pizza seems too "pretentious", however, this is my personal opinion as a pizza lover (Italian food lover)...

I spend 2 weeks in the Tuscany every summer for the past 4 years, and the only place in Vallarta that is close to the "real thing" is La Dolce Vita (ran by italians, Stefano and Paolo). I have other choices too, like Portobello, but you could argue that Cafe Roma has a better one than Portobello and also Cafe Roma is better than Piazzeta (which I believe is not very good at all)! By the way, the price for the best pizza was actually obtained by La Piazzeta (virtualvallarta.com Readers Choice), which I cannot understand, but it reflects the fact that the only ones voting there are non-Mexican tourists and places with a "touristy" focus get more votes... but any local would avoid many of the ones listed there!

In any case, there can be many opinions on the subject...

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:55 pm

I love Dolce Vita's pizza, but another place that is also good is Cafe Candela, which is across the street from Trio and away from the ocean 1-2 blocks. Cafe Candela is a quaint hideaway, and the menu is only in Spanish! Not many tourists there.........but they have a wood fired oven and interesting pizzas, salads, and other nibbles.

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:51 pm

It´s true, Cafe Candela is a very interesting place, I wouldn´t say they have the best pizza, but overall is good quality. nice little space in a non-touristy area...

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

pizza

Post by teatrolimon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:48 pm

the best "wood fired pizza", in my opinion would be right across from joe jacks

the name escapes me but i think it is the best
they also have great in house made gelato

Bruce

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: pizza

Post by garyrbeck » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:05 am

teatrolimon wrote:the best "wood fired pizza", in my opinion would be right across from joe jacks

Bruce
First folks note: Cafe Candela is no more and the spot was taken over by Heidi who moved her fine spot near Esquina de los Caprichos [!] into the locale and still makes those famous pizzas in addition to other vibrant dishes.

La Dolce Vita certainly does make one nice pizza. Has anyone been to Bella Napoli near the bay where the Malecon Parking Garage ends on the north side? Just added to my dining guide.

8)

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: pizza

Post by garyrbeck » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:11 am

teatrolimon wrote:the best "wood fired pizza", in my opinion would be right across from joe jacks

Bruce
Oops, the reason I did Bruce's quote was not what I posted but:
PianetaGelato, chain opened by Italian co-owner most recently in Venezuela, is the place, right across from JJ. Pizza is good but we often stop after dinner, esp. this past summer when not pouring, and indulge in a gelato or two. My personal fave: Pay limon...lime pie or lemon pie. Yum, I can taste it. But am in the midst of sampling every one of the offerings. It is my duty.

8)

salena12211
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by salena12211 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Dolce Vita's pizza is my favorite, and the second one is cafe candela. These are the two places which I liked it at that time. I don't know about the other restaurants, But I recommend all my friends about these two only, and they also love it.
Last edited by salena12211 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

garyrbeck
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Pizza

Post by garyrbeck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:27 pm

salena12211 wrote:Dolce Vita's pizza is my favorite, and the second one is cafe candela. These are the two places which I liked it at that time. I don't know about the other restaurants, But I recommend all my friends about these two only, and they also love it.
-----------------------------
Catering Indianapolis
Be aware that Cafe Candela is no more. El Patio de mi Casa moved from their small spot on Miramar into the location on Guerrero. It is run by Heidi and they have maintained the brick oven, homemade dough and good pizzas plus some fine live music so check them out. Love the 3 Italianos who run the newish Bella Napoli near he bay at the north edge of the parking garage, Benito Juarez, not far along the malecon from Vitea. In my Beck's Best.

8)

chefcman
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by chefcman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Bella Napoli is best I had in the last 2 weeks while we were there. Planeta Gelato is excellent as well but you can only get whole Pie there.

Bella Napoli is at the corner of Augustin Rodriguez and Morelos as you are walking toward the Malecon extension.

We used to eat Candelas pizza all the time and wish it were still there. Patio de Mi Casa is continuig pizza in that location.

Cafe Roma pizza is not even close.