restaurant closings

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
restaurant closings

Post by aploj » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Talking about the restaurants that are doing well, we should not forget all the closings that have been going on in the past months:

Blu Shrimp, Caio 3, De Santos, Maria Cantina, Xitomates, Japanice, all downtown Vallarta. Tikul, Muelle 34 (I think it was like that) in Marina Vallarta.

It´s a shame how much Vallarta´s night scene has changed, and how quick. I remember that two years ago, you had to book in any good restaurant between Nov and Apr if you wanted to have a table, and now, only during Christmas and New Year´s week that happens.

I hope that this tendency stops quickly, otherwise we are going to lose one of the best assets of this port town.

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:46 pm

I think the Blue Shrimp has reopened on the beach next to Dacquiri (sp)Dick's. I Think the Mar Azul was there before.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Mar Azul was also owned by the same owners as The Blue Shrimp and Si Senor.

Their standard Marg is 65 pesos and a good glass of wine is 95 pesos. Bewar that they will make offers on the street to get you in, like a free appie, and then the server has not heard about it. They offer 15% off for residents and will give you a card showing that.

ebay64
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by ebay64 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:35 pm

So where is the Blue Shrimp at now? Is it down by Daquiri Dicks or still up in town? Please let me know. Thank you

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Mon May 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Blue Shrimp is only at the beach now.

De Santos has moved to Plaza Peninsula because of parking.

Agave Grill will be moving to the bottom floor of Barcelona Tapas.

Dantes and Mr Fish at the marina are very good. Tikul was a loss for sure.

Xitomates has been renamed just as a bar.Same owners.

La Piazetta Fluvial has closed. So has PV Beach Club. So has Puerto Alonzo.

I think on balance, there are more restaurant choices than last year. But I expect more fallout over the summer, especially along the Malecon.

Check out Taste, Bistro Teresa, El Bacaloa, Don Guacamole, Sea Monkey...

El Dorado is under new (non-Boca Bento) management. This should make it more friendly to the old guard. Fuego has potential.

So many places, so little time!

johnny2bc
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by johnny2bc » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Heard in May, that Bistro Balsamar will be moving to the former Asaderos location on Basilio Badillo 223 - renovations of this location were in progress during our recent stay. The re-location should provide a higher-profile location, near to and adjacent some popular restaurants in the city's outh side.
Bistro Balsamar is currently (or was when we were in town in May) at Francisca Rodriguez 155, upstairs, at the corner with Olas Altas.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Yes ground floor on Basilio Badillo is second only to the Malecon or Olas Altas for good exposure. It will be nice to see that location open again. Now if we can just get a new operator for Robertos old location...

Ann
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:17 am

kcowan wrote:Yes ground floor on Basilio Badillo is second only to the Malecon or Olas Altas for good exposure. It will be nice to see that location open again. Now if we can just get a new operator for Robertos old location...
Is Robertos still operating across the street from their former location or, has that closed as well?

johnny2bc
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by johnny2bc » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Ann .... if you are referring to 'Las Margaritas', it's been gone for several years now. We dined there last in Nov/Dec '07 - then it was gone and the location empty when we returned the next spring. And the location was still empty when we were in town this past May.
It's a great location, and Las Margaritas was a fine, Mexican restaurant .. sure wish something similar would come to this location.
Cheers!

Ann
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:30 pm

johnny2bc wrote:Ann .... if you are referring to 'Las Margaritas', it's been gone for several years now. We dined there last in Nov/Dec '07 - then it was gone and the location empty when we returned the next spring. And the location was still empty when we were in town this past May.
It's a great location, and Las Margaritas was a fine, Mexican restaurant .. sure wish something similar would come to this location.
Cheers!
I can't remember the name of it. Back in the late '80's or, early '90's I remember Robertos being in what appeared to be a much larger location with seating inside and outdoors. We went there numerous times. Then, they either opened the second location across the street or, moved their entire operation there. My memory fails. A friend and I ate there about 4 years ago, and it was operated by Roberto but, since then, we haven't been back. I can't remember what it was called but, they used to have a great seafood soup at one time. I wonder what happened to Roberto.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:27 pm

I think when Roberto gave up the Las Margaritas location, he moved up north but sold his name to a smaller restaurant across the street. It is still open.

Las Margaraitas is operating in the old Fajita Republic location and Fajita Republic has relocated to the old Pacific Grill location. Bacaloa is owned by the same people. There is a new place west of Takos Pancho on Badillo. A snack place.

I feel sorry for Gary Beck who has to keep his PV restaurant guide up to date.

johnny2bc
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by johnny2bc » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Margarita Grill is operating in the former Fajita Republic location ... is this restaurant really a "reincarnation" of the former Las Margaritas (which used to be directly across from Robeto's)?

If so, imo, what a disappointment!!!

With the recent expansion of the sidewalk on Basilio Badillo, those 'snack places' (Takos Panchos and adjacent new one), with the ability now for "improved seatings" (= more tables out on the sidewalk), were getting some decent dining action during our recent May stay. Nice to see!!!