Eat At Davids - comfort food, and more!

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

johnny2bc
PV Fan
PV Fan
Eat At Davids - comfort food, and more!

Post by johnny2bc » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Eat At Davids (Aquiles Serdan 380) -- the sign says "American Comfort Food", but it's more, with two daily specials, plus a short menu, and everything priced so right.

Eat At Davids was a new-to-us restaurant, tried for the first time during our recent December '11 stay. We dined there twice during this stay, first on a Wednesday (for the lasagna), and the second time on a Friday (for the fish & chips).

We both had the lasagna (100 pesos) - the entree came with a nice-sized caesar salad and garlic bread, portions were large, and very tasty. The fish and chips (90 pesos, or 120 pesos for "all you want to eat") - the fish was tempura-style battered tilapia (we were told), served with fries, and a large helping of cole slaw. The portions of fish and chips on the 90p plate, were a little smaller than we had expected, but they were well-prepared, and tasty. The cole slaw was a large serving, but for us, would require an acquired taste.

The daily specials (each week) are: Tue - fried chicken/meatloaf, Wed - spaghetti/lasagna, Thurs - chicken fried steak, Fri - fish & chips/pork chops, Sat - ribs/sirloin steak, Sun - pot roast.

This is a very small, cute and colourful place. Rosie (the Manager) is a delight, warm and friendly, and the service the same. It is very popular with local residents, and fills up rather quickly after it opens at 5pm, and especially so on Tuesdays and Fridays. It is closed on Mondays, otherwise, it's open from 5-11pm, Tuesday to Sunday.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

All food in Mexico is American

Post by webmaster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:29 am

All food in Mexico is American, actually all the food in all of the continent is American... ya know :-)

Anyway, thanks for the review, did you try some real Mexican food too?

Greetings

M.

johnny2bc
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by johnny2bc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Some Mexican places and foods tried:
- Cenaduria Celia -- pig's feet, pozole, enchilada's, and etc - yum!!
- Tony's Please -- steak plate - Mexican plate w/steak - great plate of food, with the best chile relleno tasted in a good long while!!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:41 pm

I never eat comfort food in PV. I can get all that I want of that at home. :D
I go for the taste and flavors of Jalisco.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Ok, Kat, I just gotta ask. Will you please give me some examples of the type of food you are speaking about? "Flavors of Jalisco"? Thanks! Chuck... 8)

johnny2bc
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by johnny2bc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Here are links to the dining reports I posted here re: our dining out last April/May -- they were so enthusiastically received (not), I decided not to do the same after our recent 30+ day stay (December-early-January).

I think we have done our thing at quite a few Mexican restaurants.

Cheers!!

viewtopic.php?t=18217
viewtopic.php?t=18218
viewtopic.php?t=18220

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

:-(

Post by webmaster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:18 am

Those were some great reports, obviously the dead forum didn't even notice them... was more a matter of timing than a matter of content or length.

Greetings

M.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:46 am

Here are links to the dining reports I posted here re: our dining out last April/May -- they were so enthusiastically received (not), I decided not to do the same after our recent 30+ day stay (December-early-January).
obviously the dead forum didn't even notice them... was more a matter of timing than a matter of content or length.
I think it is more the fact that they are cut and pasted on multiple PV forums so once you read it once you have a tendency to skip over it. Many people read more than one PV forum.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:59 am

Chuck,
As you know different areas of a country spice foods differently. I never had "Slap your mama" seasoning on food until my son moved to Texas. LOL.

Seriously traditionally Mex. City uses a lot more chili peppers than they do in Jalisco.

People ask where to buy the cinnamon flavored coffee they have in Vallarta. The people for Vallarta don't buy it that way, they break up a couple of cinnamon sticks and put them in with the coffee while it brews. Just different flavors and ways of cooking than other areas of Mexico.

My partner has had the conversation with more than one ex-pat that has a restaurant in PV asking why they don't do the flavors of PV rather than foods flavored the way you would find them in Canada or the U.S. I can understand where the ex-pats that move to PV miss certain foods they don't find in PV and want a place that serves them but I prefer to enjoy the food your find in traditional PV cooking.

Don't know how else to explain it. I have a restaurant a few miles from my house that the owners are from Guad and part of their advertising is "Genuine Jalisco style cooking". Guess where I eat? :D