Money?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Hangin @the beach
Money?

Post by Hangin @the beach » Mon Jun 04, 2001 5:12 pm

How much US $ would be needed for food and tips for 4 days visit? (with air/hotel already paid for) what kind of fee is there for the ATM machines? Im not taking a credit card...is that silly?

Jennybean

Re:Money?

Post by Jennybean » Mon Jun 04, 2001 6:51 pm

You could probably take $500 US and be good.....maybe even take money home.

Every bank has different international ATM rates, from $1.25 all the way up to $3.00. Check with your bank before you go to make sure. I think I pay $3.00 total between my bank, and the ATM charge from the Mexican bank. Not much for the convenience I think!

While you don't necessarily need to take a credit card, it's nice to have one socked away in a safety deposit box with you in case of emergency, or if you want to buy expensive items....that way they are insured against loss or theft by most cards. It's your call.

bzy1

Re:Money?

Post by bzy1 » Tue Jun 05, 2001 2:35 am

Ok- here's what I spend for food normally, and I loooove to eat.

Breakfast $3.00-$4.00 US. Try El Tucan, 100% Natural or Papaya 3, Memo's Pancake House, or for a little more expensive, La Palapa- about $6.00.

I am usually stuffed, so lunch is light, if anything...if you are looking for great Mexican food, but inexpensive, try the mercado, Archi's burgers (centro) and best burgers in town, or try one of the busy local taco stands. There's many places open for lunch along the beach, and many have fresh seafood and a good price.

Dinner: I am a seafood freak, so I usually have snapper or shrimp.
Try Roberto's Pureto Nuevo for their nightly selection/ pick 2 items from a tray of many, including stuffed shrimp wrapped in bacon, filet mignon, huge prawns and/or lobster. About $25.00, but huge (less without the Caribbean lobster), and very good. You get potato, bread, steamed vegetables....

I've heard the Blue Shrimp is excellent for shrimp also.

Hector's, on the beach between the hotel zone and centro is excellent, and very well priced.

La Gourmet, Los Arbolitos, Adobe Cafe, Daquiri Dicks are all upscale and wonderful for dinner.

Most 5 star dinners will run under $25.00 a person, and that is the high-end. I eat very well for under $25.00 a day, and another $15-$20 for a night of serious drinking.

On a budget, I can easily only spend $10.00 a day on food and still have snapper for dinner.

El Torito has great BBQ, and Pipi's is a must for fajitas, guacamole and big ol' margaritas. Fajita Republic has killer Mayan cheese sticks, for an appetizer and the food is pretty good. Right near the Fajita Republis is Asederos' where you can eat till you explode on a variety of BBQ'd meats for about 75 pesos. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes it is OK- all in all you, you will be full for cheap.

Hope this gives you an idea what to budget- but it all depends on your tastes and how extravagant you want to go. Don't forget, there are tons of convenience stores and grocery stores to pick up snacks and beverages. If you have a fridge in room, you'll but your beverage costs by at least half.

Happy travels!