Where is the best place for breakfast in downtown?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

scottymex
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Where is the best place for breakfast in downtown?

Post by scottymex » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:47 pm

My wife and I are heading to PV for 2 weeks and December and staying at the Camino Real. Wewant to get out more for breakfast. What are your best recomendations? Thanks!

cabron
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:Where is the best place for breakfast in downto

Post by cabron » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:39 pm

There are a few on Basilio Badillo, Memo's Pancake House, Freddy's Toucan and, believe it or not, Cafe de Olla does a very nice/reasonable breakfast.

susana

Re:Where is the best place for breakfast in downto

Post by susana » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:04 pm

Yup! Fredy's El Tucan at Posada de Roger hotel on Basilo Badillo, try for a patio table. Memo's Casa de Hotcakes further inland a block or so on Basilo Badillo, love the banana pancakes.

I also like Papaya 3 at the El Centro location (turn inland at the Hard Rock Cafe on the Malecon and it's a block or so in on the left, 169 Abasolo) if you happen to be up in that part of town (it's good for lunch too, have a "big" sandwich and fresh fruit juice). There is/was also one on Olas Altas but it's different ownership and the food wasn't quite as good.

Missing Vallarta!!!

Re:Where is the best place for breakfast in downtown?

Post by Missing Vallarta!!! » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:27 pm

The Pancake house is my favorite, they also have some kind of stewed beef that was great, I love the fact that they have the blender going at 10am for those early morning drinks. Another great place next to the Camino is the Lindo Mar Hotel, they have a wonderful outdoor spot in the back over the rocks with a railing overlooking the ocean. We also use to go to LaPaloma but I'm not sure if they are still there, it use to get kind of crowded though.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:34 pm

Freddy's and Memos are great, but for something different, we love River Cafe. Gourmet breakfast by the river, entrées run 45 to 65 pesos, a little higher that the before mentioned, but worth every centavo. Oh yeah, don't forget dinner there too, has been one of our favorites for years.

Langostinos, just north of the pier, has a really good breakfast also. If you go there, ask for our favorite waiter Chuy.

falcon

Post by falcon » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:07 am

A great place a little our of the way is the incoming road just past the VW dealership called La Mission. Very good food and good service.

Margaritaville

Post by Margaritaville » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:41 pm

We enjoy eating breakfast at Langistinos on the beach (Los Meurtos). Excellent food and very reasonable. You can get a table right on the beach under an umbrella.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:39 am

It's a little pricier, but I love breakfast at La Palapa. The walnut pancakes, the mango crepes, the coffee, the view...all divine. For one special breakfast I'd go here. The presentation is so pretty you won't want to eat it - but you will.

And for filling yourself up at breakfast dirt cheap, go to Fidencios. About 18 pesos for ham, eggs, hash browns (ok, they're french fries but who cares), toast. Not fancy but definitely edible.

One of my long time favourites is Las Tres Huastecas. Inexpensive, very good, and I could spend all morning drinking tea and staring at the frescos and poetry on the walls. The pancakes were extremely good, and the fruit plate is ample, to say the least.

And of course the old standby, Andale. Price has gone up since my first trip but it's still a steal at 29.50 pesos for a choice of 6 different breakfast plates. Coffee is great too, and one of these days I'm going to steal a cup and saucer dammit (don't tell Jorge). LOL

chuy
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by chuy » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:55 pm

if you go to fidencio's say hi to rolo and gabby. they are long time school friends of my husband, whi is from vallarta and know lives in edmonton,canada. say hello from chuy,cindy and the boys. and yes i agree good cheap food,service and beach

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:29 am

I'll see Gabby in 31 days, I'll be sure to mention you said hi. (-:

If Rolo is on a break from law school, I'll do the same.

Fidencios is my favourite place for a cheap beer on the beach. Good hamburgers too!

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:53 am

Where is Fidencio's located? In all these years, I don't think I've ever been there.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:21 am

Playa Los Muertos, between La Palapa and the Tropicana. It's not big, right beside the concrete walking bridge.

It's cheap, the drinks are cold and plentiful, the food is inexpensive and filling. It's my favourite beach hangout. It's a little "rustic" for some people's taste, but I like it. (-:

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:33 pm

Thanks for the location of Fidencios, Jennybean. We'll look for it next time for sure.

jamie

Post by jamie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:57 pm

Scottymex (Oct 30, 2003 05:47 p.m.):
My wife and I are heading to PV for 2 weeks and December and staying at the Camino Real. Wewant to get out more for breakfast. What are your best recomendations? Thanks!
try the sheraton on sundays they have a BIG champagne brunch for $20.00
from 10 am to 2...

the min & juan

Post by the min & juan » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:13 am

Scottymex (Oct 30, 2003 05:47 p.m.):
Go to the Eldorado on City Beach!! Especially on the weekends. Great breakfast, great views, right on the beach! They have been there too many years to count. Pancake House, Freddie Tucans, Las Palomas, are also excellent - but the REAL Puerto Vallarta is at City Beach!! See you there this November!

marty

Post by marty » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:40 pm

we had breakfast once at i believe it is called the no name cafe -the unofficial home of the chicago cubs- which is on the malecon and even though it was not crowde for breakfast we were on the second floor having a really good chorizo omelet with unlimited coffee watching a couple of whales out in the bay for acost of about 40 pesos each plus tip.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:56 am

"City Beach" = Playa Los Muertos.

The No Name Cafe is up for sale on ebay...well, the LEASE is up for sale on ebay. LOL Good locale but watch your bill...