Best Taco Stands?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

connor
PV Master
PV Master
Best Taco Stands?

Post by connor » Tue May 25, 2004 11:21 pm

we went to a few in old town and p.v. there were 2 or 3 really good ones, but our fav. was north of the city. always remember that there is usually no running water so hygiene can be a problem ( we have never had a problem ) , just make sure the person handling the money is not the same person serving the food.

Dona Salu is the name. best to go at night. there nighttime special is the Pozole Blanco. Quesadillas 5 pesos. Sopas 5 pesos. Huaraches 8 pesos. the tacos are very good and a good size.

north of downtown in Col. Versaille at Berlin # 122just after the Libramiento joins the road to the airport.

Any one with other fav. taco stands ?

bburpi

Re:Best Taco Stands?

Post by bburpi » Wed May 26, 2004 1:25 am

At the bottom of this page is a map for vallarta-info.com/streetfood.html

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed May 26, 2004 3:29 am

Marisma Fish Tacos on Naranjo, south side. The best shrimp taco I've ever had anywhere. If I recall in November I had two huge ones with a Sprite and left 20 pesos, that included a tip.

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Wed May 26, 2004 12:45 pm

Jennybean (May 25, 2004 11:29 p.m.):
Marisma Fish Tacos on Naranjo, south side. The best shrimp taco I've ever had anywhere. If I recall in November I had two huge ones with a Sprite and left 20 pesos, that included a tip.
jenny, that was my other favorite taco stand. i paid 15 pesos for the same taco , which was great, and then went across the street and bought a beer at the deposito. great choice. yum

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Wed May 26, 2004 12:50 pm

bburpi (May 25, 2004 09:25 p.m.):
At the bottom of this page is a map for Dona Salu
thx for the map. it explains were the place is better than i did. m.m.

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Wed May 26, 2004 11:10 pm

The good taco stands will be the ones with a lot of local Mexican customers eating there. They eat at the stands all of the time and they know which are good and which are bad. Once, I didn't follow this advice: I came upon three taco stands in a row. Too lazy to wait in the long lines at the other two stands, I decided to go to the third stand that only had a couple of customers. Boy, was I sorry! That taco stand was horrible. The taco meat was like dry pieces of rubber and had no taste. It had probably been cooked days before and then reheated every night until the supply ran out...which takes a long time if one has few customers.

At the stands, it is also common for the money handler to put a plastic bag over their hand while they handle the money. Afterwards, they simply remove the bag and continue preparing the meals.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Thu May 27, 2004 12:06 am

A friend of ours who is a local, pointed out one on the south side of Francisco Madero just west of IL Vallarta, that he and his wife go to at least a couple of times a week for the tacos pastor. Oh man, are they are good! Get a few of the salsa's, and if you like spicy like we do, get some of the brown salsa, HOO YAH GOOD! We usually go out for a fancy meal our last night, but we were tired and wanted to eat in, this meal was one of the highlights of our trip at a whopping $6 pesos a taco.

val

Post by val » Fri May 28, 2004 2:46 pm

the best taco stands are in the local neighberhouds!
the best one is in front off my house in aurora but that is my opinion.
it is also cheap overthere!

greet valleria

Morgan Hill Guy

Post by Morgan Hill Guy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:31 am

Taco Mac, across the street from the big grocery store, La Ley. Right before the malecon, I think on the corner of the main drag and Uraguay (or is it Paraguay?). Excellent tacos de carne asada & al pastor. Open 24 hrs also. More like an open air restaurant.

KKLuvMex

El Parquecito

Post by KKLuvMex » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:12 am

We were in PV from Aug 7th -14th. We ate at this stand 4 or 5 times! Sometimes for dinner, sometimes as a snack. We were definitely the only English speaking customers when we were there! We had to do a lot of pointing... I don't know the name of the area, but it was one block inland from Daquiri Dicks right in the park. Name of the stand is El Parquecito. This was our first experience with a taco stand and we loved it.

vallartalover1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by vallartalover1 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:47 am

Taco Stand?

Brother-in-law Taqueria [El Cuñado]
Francisca Rodríguez near Olas Altas OT/SS.
9am-11pm Sunday and Tuesday 9am-6pm

Son Jorge and brothers run this taco stand, part of a family enterprise. Taco de Maiz [corn] 6p, Taco de Harina [flour] 8p, Quesadillas cheese 8p, meat 12p. Adobado [pork] is wonderful. All can be topped with guacamole and salsa. Aguas frescas including Jamaica 5p. Limited sidewalk seating but considering addition soon. [6/04 info]

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:19 am

We are going down to PV for a long weekend Sept 9-12 and will have to check out El Cuñado, probably for lunch since we will be staying in that area. Thanks for the heads up. Plan to eat at La Piazetta and Archies Wok on 2 of the 3 evenings; don't about the 3rd. We were going to check out Barcelona Tapas until we heard it is closed now.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:54 pm

Randy, stay away from the stand on Matamoros at the corner of Allende. Neighborhood legend has it that several people came down with typhus from that one!

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:49 pm

Randy, if you're going back to La Piazzetta, have a Limoncella for me will you?

40 more days and I'll have my own, but IMO it's a great apertif after one of Mimmo's fabulous meals. Plus he makes it himself, and hoo boy is it good...

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:06 am

Hola Elena y Jenny:
I don't go to the taco stands very often, but will heed your advice Elena. Jenny, what is a limoncella?
Randy

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:05 pm

We have always avoided road side stands... are they safe to eat from? I read many good things about the one across from the airport... but don't want to take the chance of getting sick. What do you think?

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:03 am

Sorry randy, missed your post until now.

Limoncella is an apertif, sometimes served chilled. Mimmo (owner of La P) makes his own from fresh limes. It's incredible, and so smooth. Wonderful way to cap off a meal.

Chinooks: if you avoid the ones that a) have no locals eating at them, and b) the ones where the person taking your money is making your food, you should be fine. I've eaten off the stands every trip since I started going to PV. One of the best, most inexpensive meals you will have in Vallarta.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:04 am

I should add that if you heed the advice above, the odds of you getting sick from an all inclusive buffet run much higher than getting ill from a taco stand.

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:35 pm

Well, that is interesting to hear. We'll have to try them this year... but some don't even have running water... I don't know...
However I have heard rave reviews about the one across from the airport. It may be better... probably running water there.. it is more like an open air restaurant
Thanks for your input.

fogoros
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by fogoros » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:44 pm

I've eaten at Pipi's, several times with friends and everyone enjoyed the tacos there.

This is Pipi's, across from the Pemex gas station, at the beginning of town, not Pipi's where they have the Chimychungas.

The best thing is that they stay open till very late, and they have take out. Gil