Places "not" to dine/visit?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

mikebuild
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Places "not" to dine/visit?

Post by mikebuild » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:51 pm

Going PV 12/31 - 1/14. Were staying at Lost Tules.
Just wanted to know if there were any places (restuarants, dining,etc) that you would recommend ... "Not to visit"? (and why)

avoid:

Post by arriba » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:33 pm

Oscar's(on the Cuale). The food is disappointing--imagine bad enchiladas in Mexico!!! Also, a very friendly hostess chats you up and acts very interested in your visit then proceeds to make a timeshare presentation!!!

El Andariego--Ave. Mexico near Buenaventura Hotel food not good, claims by others(online)of bill padding although that was not the case for us.

north
PV Fan
PV Fan

Avoid

Post by north » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:07 am

I can not agree with the coments about Oscar's. It is one of my favorite lunch places in PV. Beautiful spot with the river on one side and the bay on the other. Sometimes musical entertainment. Service in the European style. Food delicious and beautiful presentation. I have been there dozens of times and have never been approached by a timeshare type.

I would agree with the comments about El Andriego. Plus, the open air front is right at a stop light, so anybody sitting in the front of the restaurant gets all the fumes and noise from the traffic. Don't bother yourself about this place. Walk a half a block towards the ocean and have a beautiful meal at the the Premiere. If you are there early enough the beach restaurant will be open. Beautiful hotel and beautiful restaurants.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:06 pm

I don't like Oscar's as much since the Malecon was constructed our front. Too sterile and I find the drinks pricey. Without a clear sunset view, I could not justify them. If I want to be ripped off on the Isla Cuale, I prefer Le Bistro at their bar. At least the ambiance is better.

G&M

Re: Places "not" to dine/visit?

Post by G&M » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:27 pm

mikebuild wrote:Going PV 12/31 - 1/14. Were staying at Lost Tules.
Just wanted to know if there were any places (restuarants, dining,etc) that you would recommend ... "Not to visit"? (and why)

The Blue Shrimp.... We were very dissapointed. The salad bar was good, the lobster bisque was fair, the calamari were the size of onion rings and were the worst we have ever had, then came the shrimp which was way over cooked. Pretty bad for a "We specialize in Shrimp" restaurant.
Oh, and it was VERY expensive for the poor quality of food too :x

G&M

Agree with G&M....

Post by arriba » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:01 pm

....about Blue Shrimp but did not mention it because tourists seem to LOVE it. I thought the sauces cloying and unnecessary and it seems like the shrimp were smaller than we expected--just don't remember. Our favorite that does not seem to get much attention on any of the boards is Rio Grande on Ave. Mexico right across from the Ley grocery store. They grill huachinanago and shrimp over mesquite(you see the grill on your way in)and don't cover things in sweet sauces. They last few times we ate there, the shrimp were huge and the fish is always great. I think they grill other seafood like lobsters and have many other selections if you don't want seafood.

We have been eating there for years and have always loved it.

Cherish
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

I must be the only one!

Post by Cherish » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:08 am

I must be the only one who did not appreciate the Red Cabbage. Sorry! :(

beach_bum13
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by beach_bum13 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:28 am

Las Palomas on the malecon was a time share deal.

DonnaMark
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: I must be the only one!

Post by DonnaMark » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:06 pm

Cherish wrote:I must be the only one who did not appreciate the Red Cabbage. Sorry! :(
We don't think its that great either, just ok. Better time at Los Arbolitos next door....

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

The Blue Shrimp

Post by welovepv » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:50 am

G&M wrote:
mikebuild wrote:Going PV 12/31 - 1/14. Were staying at Lost Tules.

The Blue Shrimp.... We were very dissapointed. The salad bar was good, the lobster bisque was fair, the calamari were the size of onion rings and were the worst we have ever had, then came the shrimp which was way over cooked. Pretty bad for a "We specialize in Shrimp" restaurant.
Oh, and it was VERY expensive for the poor quality of food too :x

G&M
:( We too were disappointed with The Blue Shrimp. We were referred there by a timeshare creep...we should have known better. We love Roberto's for seafood, although during our last stay (Oct '05) we went and the portions were much smaller than we had remembered. Still very tasty, but the quantity was lacking. Marisco's was excellent!

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:28 pm

beach_bum13 wrote:Las Palomas on the malecon was a time share deal.
I second the thumbs-down vote for Las Palomas. Last visit, I thought I couldnt go wrong with the *house specialty*, which that day was pork with some sort of special sauce. Turned out to be very obviously yesterdays pork roast with a glob of chutney or something similar.

Oh, and when we complained abuot the time share b.s. to the a$$'t manager when we left, he said barely a word. None of which were *sorry* btw.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:09 pm

Las Palomas has had an OPC for a long time, there was one there our first trip back in 1987.

We do not eat there anymore, as the food has gone down hill, but we will stop in for a drink and just blow off the shark.