where to get a good steak

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

JoanL
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
where to get a good steak

Post by JoanL » Sun May 07, 2006 2:06 pm

My son in law will be with us for a week in Feburary and he is a steak eater...where is the best place for a good steak....that is not $$$$$

leah8581
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Good Steak in PV

Post by leah8581 » Sun May 07, 2006 6:58 pm

There is a restaurant in the marina called Buenos Aires that has fantastic steaks. I don't know what you consider very expensive, but it's about the same price as most moderately priced steak houses in the US. Depending on what you get, it ranges from 180-300 pesos. There is also an excellent Beef Tenderloin (filet mignon) for two that i think was around 450 pesos. Also I'm not sure where you're staying, but if you are staying in Nuevo Vallarta, there is a wonderful Italian restaurant called Il Pescatore, it's on the marina in Nuevo next to the Paradise Plaza. Great steaks some cooked with rosemary and usually served with fresh vegetables and fettuccini alfredo. I have to go there at least twice when i visit PV. My parents are regulars in PV, I will find out any more from them!

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Sun May 07, 2006 8:19 pm

That sounds so good. I LOVE filet mignon, my hubby prefers T-bones and there are those times when you crave beef!! What's with the "gravy" that a lot of places pour on the steaks!!!

pop&fresh

the best steak

Post by pop&fresh » Sun May 07, 2006 10:08 pm

in my humble opinion

google this restauraunt name

bruces back alley bistro

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Sun May 07, 2006 10:31 pm

Pop&Fresh. We know you are Bruce. While it seems you do get rave reviews from almost all that eat at your place, you seem not be be able to be honest in your posts. There would have been nothing wrong with saying " I am Bruce and I am sure that you will find my steaks equal to, if not better then others".
I personally find this method underhanded, makes me wonder why.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Steaks

Post by ronald » Mon May 08, 2006 4:42 am

Actually I've heard a lot of good things about Bruce's place though I've never eaten there. Have to go there someday to see just how 'fresh' he is. By the way, I agree with the post about the place in the Marina, (great food), there's also a very good place to eat in the Paradise Mall in Neuvo, if you happen to be there. Can't recall it's name, but they served USA Graded Beef which had the taste to it that we are used to. Somebody told me it was imported and tasted that way, because the beef in Mexico is fed corn instead of other grains. Don't know if that's true.

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Mon May 08, 2006 5:25 am

howard_jax wrote:Pop&Fresh. We know you are Bruce. While it seems you do get rave reviews from almost all that eat at your place, you seem not be be able to be honest in your posts. There would have been nothing wrong with saying " I am Bruce and I am sure that you will find my steaks equal to, if not better then others".
It's no secret Bruce and I have become friends. I do have to agree with Howard to some extent here though. The third person "thing" confuses me too. I've never discussed it with him, and I'll likely piss him off by mentioning it here, rather than in person....but Bruce...stop that! :lol:

JoanL
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: Good Steak in PV

Post by JoanL » Mon May 08, 2006 1:24 pm

leah8581 wrote:There is a restaurant in the marina called Buenos Aires that has fantastic steaks. I don't know what you consider very expensive, but it's about the same price as most moderately priced steak houses in the US. Depending on what you get, it ranges from 180-300 pesos. There is also an excellent Beef Tenderloin (filet mignon) for two that i think was around 450 pesos. Also I'm not sure where you're staying, but if you are staying in Nuevo Vallarta, there is a wonderful Italian restaurant called Il Pescatore, it's on the marina in Nuevo next to the Paradise Plaza. Great steaks some cooked with rosemary and usually served with fresh vegetables and fettuccini alfredo. I have to go there at least twice when i visit PV. My parents are regulars in PV, I will find out any more from them!
Thanks for the info we will be at the Sheraton so it's not that far to get to the Marina.....

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon May 08, 2006 3:07 pm

howard_jax wrote:Pop&Fresh. We know you are Bruce. While it seems you do get rave reviews from almost all that eat at your place, you seem not be be able to be honest in your posts. There would have been nothing wrong with saying " I am Bruce and I am sure that you will find my steaks equal to, if not better then others".
My thinking is he has 30 posts as Pop&Fresh so that is most likely 30 plugs for his own business, besides the ones he makes when he is not in disguise. It makes it look like he thinks he needs the extra recommendations over and above the ones he posts as himself.

pop&fresh

Post by pop&fresh » Mon May 08, 2006 3:22 pm

howard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if im not mistaking i think you , and quite a few others are a little smarter then the average person, right?

I THINK SOMEONE WOULD FIGURE OUT WITH HALF A BRAIN THAT I MIGHT BE THE OWNER OF THIS ESTABLISHMENT
seeing as there is advice on how to look into the other comments about my restaurant and a link to my menu

there are qwuite a few areas in wich i can promote my on place

HOWARD furthermore i find your comments to be petty and al be it to the point about my honesty to be degrading

please dont start here with me on this board

thank you well in advance

ps

i do remember your commments from another particular board maybe you would like to continue on the other board where you might get an audience

bye

titustitans
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by titustitans » Mon May 08, 2006 3:26 pm

katnsocal wrote:
My thinking is he has 30 posts as Pop&Fresh so that is most likely 30 plugs for his own business, besides the ones he makes when he is not in disguise. It makes it look like he thinks he needs the extra recommendations over and above the ones he posts as himself.
Let me give Bruce's a plug then as a customer!

This is my first post on the board since coming back, and I knew after last Friday that I needed it to be about Bruce's Back Alley.

The food outstanding, The sauces on both the shrimp and the chops are still being talked about by those who had them. The steaks were tender and full of flavor, NO steak sauce needed for these folks! Beyond the food, Bruce and his staff were amazing! They not only took care of us, but they were an active part of celebrating my 40th Birthday! They surprised us with a cake from the bakery down the street, sang for us, and Bruce had a wonderful after dinner drink prepared for all us! He also gave some great dining tips for other locations in P.V. as well.

I would highly recommend them!

pop&fresh

apology!!!!!!!

Post by pop&fresh » Mon May 08, 2006 4:05 pm

apologise if my las posts make me seem as if im angry or pissed off

i should have private messaged them instead

sincerely bruce

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Not necessarily

Post by Jennybean » Mon May 08, 2006 5:18 pm

I THINK SOMEONE WOULD FIGURE OUT WITH HALF A BRAIN THAT I MIGHT BE THE OWNER OF THIS ESTABLISHMENT
A new poster to this board would not necessarily think any such thing if they did not know a) that you post under that nickname now, or b) that you weren't simply a customer yourself. If your quality speaks for itself, then let it speak for itself, or identify yourself accordingly as the owner of the establishment is all that was said, and I happen to agree.

Simply posting your website address doesn't in any way identify you as the owner, especially if your entire post is couched in the third person, as was done...the moderators or other customers who post to this board do the same thing when posting, which makes perfect sense, because they aren't you.

So how would someone new to this forum distinguish your posts as being made by the owner, from posts made here by others as previous customers at your establishment, if you're talking about yourself in the third person??

My only comment on the subject.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Mon May 08, 2006 5:43 pm

I have and had no intentions of this being a contested thread. I just could not for the life of me understand that a place like Bruce's Backstreet Bistro would need to look like it was being talked about by a fake third party. There have been many, many people on all three of the PV Boards shouting the praises of your food, your service and you as the owner.

I certainly do not wish to talk about what the reasons we had words on another board were about.

I meant you and your Restaurant no harm. Regardless of what I or anyone else might have a notion of you personally, it can not take away from the first class reputation you have worked hard to acheive.

My Grandmother use to say SPS. It meant self praise stinks.

You from all reports, need not praise yourself under an alias, let those who have been there do that for you, as seems to certainly be the case.

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Re: the best steak

Post by welovepv » Mon May 08, 2006 5:51 pm

pop&fresh wrote:in my humble opinion

bruces back alley bistro
While some of you know Bruce and pop&fresh to be one in the same, I did not. I googled before, I googled again. My mouth watered BOTH times! Come on, it's all in good fun!

What about that "gravy"????

titustitans
PV Guru
PV Guru

Re: the best steak

Post by titustitans » Mon May 08, 2006 6:04 pm

welovepv wrote:
pop&fresh wrote:in my humble opinion

bruces back alley bistro
While some of you know Bruce and pop&fresh to be one in the same, I did not. I googled before, I googled again. My mouth watered BOTH times! Come on, it's all in good fun!

What about that "gravy"????
No gravy on the steaks here, and NO need for it!! The chops with the maple peppercorn sauce though was out of this world!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon May 08, 2006 6:32 pm

as a customer and a "friend" of the owner ... Bruce/Pop&Fresh are one in the same and he is who he is... a straight shooter however he posts he responses. if it is too hot for you, then get out of his kitchen.

coming from Iowa and the Midwest, i will have to agree with titustitans about the steak. there was no need for "steak sauce" or heaven forbid "ketchup" for the steak. I had my prepared medium, and it was FANTASTIC. This steak was very tender, it had lots of au juis, etc... I never reached for the salt or pepper either. And that is one of my many standards i have growing up in NW Iowa on a cattle farm... you can always tell the quality of the beef if you don't have to season the heck out of it, or cover it with "sauces" to mask the inferior quality of a good USDA beef steak. but then again that is jmho....

so Bruce/Pop&Fresh, that will be $20 for the shameless plug and defense of your honor my friend. or a nice rum and coke the next time we are in town, just DON"T lick my glass... that is for your "close friends" like winterpegman....

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Whoa

Post by Jennybean » Mon May 08, 2006 7:07 pm

as a customer and a "friend" of the owner ... Bruce/Pop&Fresh are one in the same and he is who he is... a straight shooter however he posts he responses. if it is too hot for you, then get out of his kitchen.
Tom, with all due respect for you as a friend and a moderator, I fail to see how anything in my response was denigrating his establishment or should be seen as "too hot". Or Howards, or katnsocal's for that matter. On the contrary, Howard very clearly stated his food was getting great reviews across several boards, so why the need to self promote?

As clearly noted by "welovepv" not EVERYONE here knows Bruce and Pop&Fresh are one in the same, and him posting in the third person does nothing to clear up that confusion. So his railing against us was uncalled for.

If he's a straight shooter, he shouldn't have to talk up his place in the third person, because all it does is confuse new posters into thinking he's just another reviewer...it should speak for itself, or customers such as yourself should be able to accomplish that for him. This isn't the first time he's done it, and not even the same nickname used; all people are asking is that he be the "straight shooter" you claim him to be and kybosh the appearance of drumming up business for himself by pretending to be someone else.

And with that, I'm done on that subject...AGAIN.

Now, for the original poster...you might also want to check out Los Pibes on B. Badillo. Excellent steaks there too. And for a fantastic cut of beef that won't make your wallet weep, go to Machis BBQ. I had an amazing filet accompanied by succulent shrimp in a garlic cream sauce, twice baked potato and crisp steamed vegetables for about 90 pesos my last trip. That's right, no typo - 90 pesos. It was the dinner special that night, but the prices at Machis are all in that range - I'm not even sure there is anything on his menu much over 150 pesos. I'm from Alberta and I know my beef...and I say with all honesty, this was one of the best steaks I've eaten. I was not disappointed.

Machis is at the corner of Jacarandas and L. Cardenas on the south side, upstairs. Look for the black awning.

pop&fresh

unbelievable

Post by pop&fresh » Mon May 08, 2006 7:28 pm

the meaning of my nick name is as follows

pop&fresh = pop in fresh whithout being harrassed by other boards memmmbers regardless of the politicking or bs

everyone is entitled to ther opinion

all i wanted to achieve with this nickname was to be rid of the el toro poo poo from the other board and the so called people who " I TRULY BELIEV E ARE ONE SIDED"

THE VERY FRST COMMMMMMENT ON THE OTHER BOARD WAS THAT ABOUT MY NICKNAME

I WENT TO FIND THE COMMENT AND THEN CUT AND PASTE IT BUT I THOUGHT ID LET IT GO

all this being said

pv jenny bean will not and never come to my place because of personal issues that are between the 2 of us

thats fine by me

the bull crap from the other board has ceased and im happy for it

i dojnt want it to happen here

i just want all of you to know that whether or not you have been to my pl, or plan on comming is strictly your decision

furthermore

when someone asksked at the begining of this thread about a good steak house ( rather then me tell them who i was or what i am or what i own)

i wanted them to google and read all of the comments from all the boards and other sources then look at my menu if they where interested

that being said < CAN WE PLEASE ALL GET5 ALONG AND STOP!!!

thank you

bruce

mshuckleberrys
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mshuckleberrys » Mon May 08, 2006 7:28 pm

IMHO, it won't take long for a first time poster to be told if he's one and the same. There will be someone that will jump right in and tell. We first time posters learn quick who's who and what's what. I had a very good meal at Bruce"s and will go again. If you didn't, you have been free to tell that to SOOOOOOO what's the problem, just don't go back. I like to brag about my food in my home town and want to know if someone get's a bad meal.