Palapa Beach Restaurants near Intercontinental/Mismaloya

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

pacificoceangirl1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Palapa Beach Restaurants near Intercontinental/Mismaloya

Post by pacificoceangirl1 » Sun May 14, 2006 3:50 am

Hi everyone - My Mom and I are going to the Presdiente Intercontinental near Mismaloya beginning of June. We don't want to eat at the hotel each night. We've been to Mexico many times and really enjoy fresh seafood at the beach palapa restaurants. We will need to take taxis to and from the hotel. Can anyone recommend some great beach palapa restaurants serving fresh seafood, open for dinner with a nice atmosphere and great service/food near the Intercontinental - as close as possible (Mismaloya, Las Gemelas, Garza Blanca etc)Thanks so much!

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Sun May 14, 2006 1:42 pm

There used to be some beach palapas set up just across the Mismaloya river (which flows at the side of La Jolla de Mismaloya resort - I think it has a new name). We waded across the river to get to the restaurants (it was waist-deep). The food was really good - large grilled shrimp, potato tacos, pico, COLD beer...they were NOT fancy by any means - just something different than the resort food, something the locals provided and it was in a great place to "people watch".

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Food

Post by Jennybean » Sun May 14, 2006 3:54 pm

Try La Playita at the Lindo Mar resort. You will pass it on your way out to the Presidente.

Great shrimp dishes, amazing view. They also do a very nice weekend brunch.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Sun May 14, 2006 4:01 pm

We stayed at the Presidente in October '04, and really didn't find much of anyplace to eat (heading north) until almost back in town. Can't tell you much about south to Mismaloya, if there are restaurants to be found nearby, it'd be in that direction.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Sun May 14, 2006 4:15 pm

I'd take a taxi and go to Playa Los Muertos, right in town. You'll find the best and largest selection of oceanfront restaurants in one place there. Most all of them palapa style, with their tables down on the sand.
________
Vermont Medical Marijuana Dispensary
Last edited by susan p on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

pacificoceangirl1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thanks everyone!

Post by pacificoceangirl1 » Sun May 14, 2006 6:06 pm

Thank you everyone for this great information - if anyone else has anything to add that would be wonderful - also if anyone knows about the dining options at the Intercontinental itself I would greatly appreciate it!

I personally love to explore the Restaurants of PV but Mom isn't very mobile right now after a hip operation so this trip we'll be staying pretty close to home base....

Happy Mother's Day to All The Moms! [img][/img]

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun May 14, 2006 11:29 pm

One of my favorite resturants and a must do for me every trip is Tony's La Choza in Mismaloya. It is in the village itself, across the street from the hotel. Great food and great service.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Sun May 14, 2006 11:44 pm

After eating at Tony's last year, I will second that suggestion.

rosie

Post by rosie » Mon May 15, 2006 1:12 am

Tony's absolutely! it is a bit of an uphill walk thru the village tho so I would suggest a cab.
also Casa Iguana, before you reach Tony's, has a good resturant, (and the best pina colada I have ever tasted!) and if you walk down the public beach access path, on the left there is a pedestrian bridge over the river that leads directly into a restaurant. I'm not a fish eater but mi esposo tried the red snapper "fried crispy" and loved it. most of the beach palapa restaurants have good, cheap food as well. there is one that sports a faded red surfboard that is our personal favourite. Be aware tho that you will need to cross thru the river to access these. lots of young fellows about to help if needed. The pie lady (Juanita) is a regular on this beach.
Remember too that PI has an amazing Italian restaurant called D'Antonio, and next door at Girasol Sur there is a pool side restaurant called La Palapa that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Decent food here too.
La Jolla de Mismaloya has restaurants as well but not sure of their "visitor" policy now that Barcelo has taken over. Best to call ahead and ask.
If you continue south Le Kliff is along the way, good food, fabulous setting and Cafe Primativo is in Boca de Tomatlan, both an easy cab ride.

pacificoceangirl1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

So many thanks!

Post by pacificoceangirl1 » Mon May 15, 2006 2:12 am

You are all wonderful people :D - Thank you so much for your time with my questions - there is a wealth of information here and I'm very grateful.

If anyone is ever coming to BC Canada please let me know and I will be happy to offer any help/info I can.

I guess another good thing is just to take a taxi into Mismaloya and see what's open on the beach (and try Tony's!)? Is there a Palapa restaurant at Playa Gemelas?

We'll probably try Da Antonio's one night but its too expensive for each night. We stayed in Melaque a lot and loved meeting the locals and supporting their businesses as much as possible. So we'll be interested to do the same in the Mismaloya area.

Thanks again everyone!

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

PacificOceanGirl1

Post by welovepv » Mon May 15, 2006 4:52 am

If anyone is ever coming to BC Canada please let me know and I will be happy to offer any help/info I can
I'll be honest....I'm terrible with geography, including Canadian geography. Is Vancouver in BC??? I'll be there in September for a nursing conference and would love ideas on some things to do.
Last edited by welovepv on Mon May 15, 2006 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Mon May 15, 2006 4:56 am

Actually alberta is its own province so is b.c. A very good friend of mine is a nurse in alberta which city are you going to.

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Mon May 15, 2006 4:59 am

michelle/tyler wrote:Actually alberta is its own province so is b.c. A very good friend of mine is a nurse in alberta which city are you going to.
I'm confused. I just checked my info and the conference is in Vancouver. :oops:

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Mon May 15, 2006 5:04 am

Ok lol then your in British columbia not alberta hope this helps. :D

pacificoceangirl1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: PacificOceanGirl1

Post by pacificoceangirl1 » Mon May 15, 2006 5:49 am

welovepv wrote:
If anyone is ever coming to BC Canada please let me know and I will be happy to offer any help/info I can
I'll be honest....I'm terrible with geography, including Canadian geography. Is Vancouver in BC??? I'll be there in September for a nursing conference and would love ideas on some things to do.
Hi - where will you be staying in Vancouver and for how long? There are so many wonderful things to do here so let me know where and for how long and then I'll send some good ideas and maybe some restaurants (depending on what you like to eat!).

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Re: PacificOceanGirl1

Post by welovepv » Mon May 15, 2006 6:03 am

Hi - where will you be staying in Vancouver and for how long? There are so many wonderful things to do here so let me know where and for how long and then I'll send some good ideas and maybe some restaurants (depending on what you like to eat!).
Not sure which hotel as of yet. I'm sure it will be the hotel in which the conference is being held. Dates will be September 27 through Oct 1, 2006. Thanks!! If you have ideas you can PM me and I'll give you my home email!!!

pacificoceangirl1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Vancouver Things to Do

Post by pacificoceangirl1 » Mon May 15, 2006 6:43 am

Hi welovepv - I pm'd some ideas for you - hope they are interesting and helpful!

rosie

Re: So many thanks!

Post by rosie » Mon May 15, 2006 3:39 pm

(Is there a Palapa restaurant at Playa Gemelas?)

no, it's next door at Girasol Sur, but can be accessed via the beach and thru the Girasol property at Playa Gemelas

VacationGod
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by VacationGod » Wed May 31, 2006 7:43 pm

I know you said you didnt want to stray far. But for a future trip you should head over to punta de mita. If you eat at one of the resturauts they will supply you with the palapa and lounge chair for the rest of the day. Beautiful clear water beach too! You can probably only make it there around lunch time. Im not sure if anything is open for dinner.