Tequila

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

jkbe
Tequila

Post by jkbe » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:14 pm

Can anyone tell me how much booze I can bring back with me without getting into trouble?

I have a number of friends who are asking me to bring bottles of El Jimador back with me.

I can never remember.

Thanks for the help.

Jennybean

Re:Tequila

Post by Jennybean » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:38 pm

You can bring back as much as you want without getting into trouble.

However, anything above 1.14L (around two 26oz bottles) you will be paying duty on.

El Jimador is pretty commonly found in the US and Canada, are they sure they want you to bring that back? It's one of the lesser grade tequilas available IMO. There are better ones to be had. Hit the tequila tour in Pitillal (www.tequilatour.com) or Casa de Tequila in town and sample some of the finer blends of the agave gift.

EJ is what I'll use in a pinch to make margaritas if I can't find something better. LOL

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:04 pm

Pay duty...IF CAUGHT!

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:10 pm

1 bottle per person back to Canada is duty free.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:03 pm

Actually marg man, it's 1.14L, which will be the equivalent to two 750ml bottles (just a scooch more). That is, unless you're going to buy just the 1L bottle and get it over with.

I should say that in all the years I've been going, whether I bring home the maximum allowable duty free on liquor or not I always claim the max. That way when I do bring more than allowable (like I did this trip), I rarely get stopped and checked (which I didn't this trip). While I'm not saying this is a guarantee, I've pre-established my pattern.

As far as the prices on El Jimador. they are very low in the Super La Playa stores. IMO, it still wouldn't be the tequila I would lug home to friends, but totally your call.

linda

Post by linda » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:52 pm

I thought the maximum you could bring back to Canada was 40 ounces.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:24 pm

40oz, converted to metric, is 1.14L.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:28 pm

Below is the direct link to the duty free exemption limits (monetary, alcohol and tobacco) from Canada Border Services, for those traveling who want the info.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4 ... P274_18115