secret wedding in PV-- need help please :)

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

misstiffanyann
PV Fan
PV Fan
secret wedding in PV-- need help please :)

Post by misstiffanyann » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:33 am

Hi everyone! I am sure the "experts" here are getting sick of this question, so sorry in advance guys, but I am going to PV for the 1s time in a couple of months. Now, the thing is, I am from a very rural area and have never left the state, much less the country! My fiancee and I have a 1 year old son & we are going to PV to secretly get married! Neither of us know a thing about PV: where to stay, if we should stay at an all inclusive or not, how much money we will need (about 5 nights/6 days), where to go.... anything!! I really want to make this special, because this may be the last time we can afford to go on vacation. I want to see and do the best of the best in PV--- can anyone help? Are all inclusives good or no? What are some things I *should, must* know about PV. Thats a big one.. and also, should we get a travel agent?

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Cart before the Horse

Post by Jennybean » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:45 am

Actually my first question to you is...are you already aware of and prepared for all the differences in requirements for getting married out of country, especially in Mexico?

Because that's really where you need to start. It's not just like jetting off to Vegas, there are different laws, rules, regulations, paperwork, requirements, minimum residency limits to qualify, etc.

If I were you, the first thing I'd be doing is researching all of that. It's not as simple as just showing up and getting a minister or justice of the peace...you may be surprised once you see just how much work is involved for the ceremonies (only a civil marriage is legal in Mexico, the church or decorative ceremony isn't valid under their laws without the civil marriage first).

I guess the next question I have is, if you haven't been out of the US before, do you have your passports? You'll need those too or you aren't going anywhere. And yes, if you haven't been out of the country before and aren't at least somewhat familiar with booking vacations for yourself, I'd use a travel agent for the first time.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:02 pm

I would try Dreams and also consider Le Kliffe for a photo op.

sunshine311
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sunshine311 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:33 pm

First off, congrats on the upcoming wedding!!!
Secondly, Jennybean is absolutely right. The wedding is the number one concern right now. If you are wanting to legally marry in Mexico, you'll need at least 3 months for all the translation of documents, and other necessary paperwork. It's an insane process.
I too am getting married in PV in a couple of months and the best advice my fiance and I got is to 'secretly' get married by a JP at home in Canada, then fly off to Mexico and have the wedding ceremony there. That way, you avoid all the paperwork, blood tests (yes, you must get a blood test done in Mexico to legally marry), and hassle. It becomes as easy as planning a wedding as you would at home! The way we're looking at it is that the JP is not our wedding - it's merely getting the legal paperwork done at home before we go. Mexico is our true wedding day.

As far as what Jennybean said about passports - I'm not sure how it works in the states, but here in Canada you do not need a passport to travel to Mexico. You do, however, need a passport if you want to go ahead with a legal Mexico wedding. (Wierd hey, you don't need the passport to travel, but Mexico requires it for the legal wedding).

It's hard to answer all your questions and advise you on every aspect of PV as you are starting with a blank slate. If you're posting here, then obviously you have a computer and that's the best source of information. Just start googling away!!! I say, try and get a feel for it, find some things you like, then come and ask the 'experts' what they think about it. They won't steer you wrong. Also, I'd recommend reading previous threads here. About a month ago I started at thread "Where to Marry in Mexico", the advice I got there was very helpful.

Good luck!!!

PS When is your wedding? Mine is March 11th.

sunshine311
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sunshine311 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Oh yeah, there's also a really good thread on here from a month ago regarding All Inclusive vs. Not. Very good information there regarding that issue.

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:22 am

When we were in PVR in Nov. we met a very nice couple from Cananda that was staying next door at the Crown Paradise Club with their 2 or 3 year old daughter and had a great time and got married right on the beach at the resort. We were invited to their wedding but unfortunately, watched from the beach as the resort had a "private dinner" for us for Tom's birthday. The CPC has a person that will handle all of the arrangements and will help you get things taken care of. If you are interested in getting that information, e-mail me and we'll get you the information. I think if you want to know upfront how much your vacation is going to cost, AI is the way to go. We have been going AI for about 18 years and at this point, won't change. We stay at the Golden Crown Paradise (adults only) next to the CPC. Feb. will be our 13th trip to this resort so that should tell you something. Also, my husband, Mr. Crown had a Power Point presentation for the CPC that you might find useful and helpful. We are looking at planning a family trip this year for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. Tom and I and my folks will stay at the GCP and my sister and her family will stay at the CPC! We are all very excited!! Best of luck to you and let us know if we can be of further assistance!! :D

misstiffanyann
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by misstiffanyann » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:57 pm

thanks for all the great advice! As for getting married, we are doing it at home at the church, and the getting "married" in mexico. Once I found out what a hassel it would be we figured that would be the best way to do it :) Any other information that you guys think would be helpful would be great, thanks!!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Weddings

Post by Jennybean » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:49 pm

I would recommend establishing a budget for what you want to spend on the wedding.

Is there going to be a reception? Do you need everything (ie: flowers, cake, champagne, photographer, etc.)? While you will have everlasting memories of a beautiful wedding in PV, many things are not as inexpensive as many might perceive them to be in Mexico.

I will throw out a couple of wedding coordinator websites for you here so you can get an idea of what's involved. I mention these two because I have seen their work (it's incredible) and I have met them so I can say with 100% certainty they are exceptional. Their websites carry loads of helpful information too.

Zac at Eventful Moments (em-vallarta.com)

Michael at Vallarta Weddings (vallartaweddings.com)

Zeewot
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

ADVICE ON BRINGING 1 YR OLD BABY

Post by Zeewot » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:24 am

Hi and congrats....see u already have lots of advice on the wedding. I thought a few tips on travel with baby were in order. First don't bother to bring a stroller (completely useless on the cobblestone, uneven pavement, and extremely high curbs). We brought one of the the child back packs and my husband put our daughter on his back and it worked great. Second, very few restaurants in PV have high chairs so we brought one of those clip-on to the table chairs and it was a lifesaver. Diapers leave much to be desired (leaky) so we brought our own. Last but MOST IMPORTANT...baby is already in for a system shock with the weather, plane ride, etc. so be sure to bring your own baby food to avoid any risk of adverse reaction to the food. Mix all juice/formula with bottled water no matter what they say their water condition is. Take all possible medications u may need for baby (tylenol, cough medicine, check with your Dr. for possibles) as all medication while easy to obtain and very cheap is in spanish so can be confusing. I would also bring baby sun screen from home.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

?

Post by Jennybean » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm

All of the baby foods available in the supermarkets are imports from the US with very few exceptions, just fyi... :wink:

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:30 pm

Careful with the tylenol for tots. If you're convinced the stuff does more good than harm (OD's cause liver damage; the kiddie versions are several times more potent than adult), and you've used it in the past and you've mastered the dosages, by all means bring it so you can read the label. All the normal OTC medications are available in the supermarkets. The ingredients are practically the same in english and spanish, therefore equally confusing. You don't need to bring the whole medicine cabinet just in case somebody gets sick.

Frankly, I never gave my kids anything, even OTCs without direct instructions from a doctor. Hurling chemicals at the symptoms seems far more harmful than waiting things out. If something is serious, it's not going to be cured by them, and if it's not serious, it's not serious.

One person's experience doesn't prove anything, but the two times I've been sick in PV it hasn't been the food or water, but upper respiratory crap a couple days after the plane ride down. That and a gall stone attack I didn't know that's what it was until a year or two later.

I second the thing about the stroller. Whenever anybody asks me if PV is dangerous, I know they mean crime, but my answer is yeah, the cracks in the sidewalks can be nasty.

Whatever did happen to baby backpacks? They are great, but I haven't seen one in a long time. I guess I don't get out much. That or people in my part of the world have stopped breeding.

misstiffanyann
PV Fan
PV Fan

thanks!

Post by misstiffanyann » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:40 pm

for all the baby info, but it is just going to be me and the fiancee. We are looking to keep it small, just the two of us on the beach, the only thing we need is and officiant-type person and a photographer. also looking to not spend that much money at all. I was in touch with a few planners in pv but no one has gotten back to me yet :(