Best Tequilas in pv?

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

travelon
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Best Tequilas in pv?

Post by travelon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:53 am

i AM A COMPLETE FOODIE SO WHEN I VISIT PV I DON'T WANT TO MISS THE CUISINE,

CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THE BEST TEQUILAS, WHERE WOULD I GET THEM ?

AND ANY SPECIAL TEQUILAS I SHOULD LOOK OUT FOR? >:)< :time:

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Hey, that's a good topic I haven't seen developed on... we can later do a poll for all you tequila addicts...

I like Don Julio and like Tequila 0.720 when it was available: www.tequila0720.com

If you are going to mix it (margaritas and such) any cheap tequila will do...

Mogens

astridt
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by astridt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:59 am

I like de Don Julio as well, but most reposado's are just fine, and the anejo even better, but more expensive which is no use after you had a few yihaa...

raiderj16
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by raiderj16 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:32 pm

I was in PV a couple of years ago and was at Casa Del Tequila which had a very good tequila bar as well as also selling top of the line tequilas. The place also had very good food, unfortunately I do not know if it is still open, I had heard they were going to sell it.
As far as tequilas, there are tequilas way better than Don Julio. Casa Noble, Tapatio, 7 Leguas, and El Tesoro are just a few that are available in Mexico and all are quite good. There is also the matter of your taste, as to whether you like blancos, reposados, of anejos.

load_warrior1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by load_warrior1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:55 pm

I tried Partida silver, reposado and anejo when we were there in May, all were exceptional

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:08 pm

The Restaurant part of Casa de Tequila is the Agave Grill, owned by the same Man that owns Barcelona Tapas. It is in a word, wonderful.

In Mexico I drink the Don Julio Reposado. Here in the states I drink Milagro Reposado. There are way too many good ones to name and they are a matter of taste.

kingofmen
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by kingofmen » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:30 pm

check this web site for info on Tequila
http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:10 pm

the house of tequila has a tequila de los reyes. it's very smooth and yummy...it's in a dark brown bottle...

beach_bum13
PV Fan
PV Fan

hmmm Don Julio

Post by beach_bum13 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:46 am

Is there a place to find a good price on Don Julio? I think last time I bought it in the US it was about $45 for a bottle of the Anejo. Try a completo, yum! Something with the sangrita allows you to drink more lol!

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:56 am

The Airport when you leave will be one of the few places that has San Matias Gran Reserva. It is not usually inexpensive, by any means - but very good.

One time I got two bottles for $40 usd - it is not unusual for it to be $35-45 a bottle.

Mama Lucia aged tequila was very good, as was their coffee liqueur/tequila. (Mismaloya) I have found that about any local 100% agave has been very good, and I have found 2 bottles for $10 in years past.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:52 am

I don't know exactly what the price was but I know that all the liquor at Costco was super cheap.

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:17 am

as we do most years, our group of 6 likes to rent suburban/van & driver
for day and spend day hopping around north of pv.
last year our driver insisted on pulling over to a local 'tourist' tequila mfg.
we did not even want to stop but he pulled in rite behind the coach
bus full of cruise shippers......started to roll my eyes, but we went along
with the gig - because we had our own driver we did not have to partake
in large cruise ship group and he showed the agave root, the cooking and
aging , and the distilling process; even ate some raw root.
samples of the three tequila varieties were given and then we were shown
the gift shop - they of course have their brands for sale as well as 1000
other souvenoirs - we did not buy anything, although they were cooking
tacos and burritos with local ingredients - best food we had all day.

this place is somewhere between the end of the runway and the state
border heading north on 200.
it's actually worth the 1/2 hour or so we were there - no high pressure
sales and the tequila education was very informative; not exactly the
'tourist trap' we thought it would be

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Two tours, two brands

Post by oneistwo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:59 pm

beachluvr's van stop sounds a lot like the "Tequila Tour" in Pitillal. If not the same one, then it's the same model. We went to that one a few years ago, and after the tasting, I bought a bottle of El Reformador reposado. It was excellent. I haven't seen it on the shelves in PV, but I haven't looked that hard. Maybe next time.

The other "Tequila Tour" was more real, a long bus ride to a working distillery in Tequila. We came back with several bottles of the Casa Noble reposado, which is great, and I have seen it on the shelves at LaPlaya.

Ordinarily, I'd suggest "research," meaning buying a bottle or two there and trying them out. I did that this year, and the bottle I picked at random wasn't very good. I ended up using it for margaritas rather than waste it altogether. Next time I'll stick to what I know, the Casa Noble.

Does anyone know if any of the storefronts in PV carry anything worthwhile? We usually scoot around them, but having a chance to taste something could make a big difference.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:30 pm

according to our driver a young American Born but lived most of his life in PV (now married to a National and they have kids) he told us to steer clear of all of the shops in town.

If they look touristy and are in high tourist type areas.

A) they are fronts for Timeshare salesman
B) The Tequila is mostly "just tequila" in a fancy bottle.
C) Over Priced big time...see option "B"

be careful, know what it is you are buying.

Look for 100% Agave - in Mexico or America.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:57 pm

I only asked because there's always a chance that ONE of them is legit. but yeah, we've not gone into any of them, suspecting your A, B and C.

100%, si. In our local stores if I'm at the tequila shelf and there's someone looking mystified, I give them the lecture. "Are you looking for something special to sip, or just making margaritas.....?" etc.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:32 pm

I couldn't resist jumping in here. Come try our Tequila sometime. I have lived in Mexico for a while and have drank only Tequila for about 3 years. I think I have one of the best. I buy it in bulk from near the City of Tequila, Jalisco. mmmmm good.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:42 pm

We've passed by, or rather under, your place plenty of times and didn't notice. See you next March, as we continue our margarita and tequila "research."

btw, don't take offense about the above about what places are legit. I'm sure we were talking about storefronts that display only tequila, usually of one brand. Not the fun spots like yours, nor the real liquor stores.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:33 pm

oneistwo wrote:We've passed by, or rather under, your place plenty of times and didn't notice. See you next March, as we continue our margarita and tequila "research."

btw, don't take offense about the above about what places are legit. I'm sure we were talking about storefronts that display only tequila, usually of one brand. Not the fun spots like yours, nor the real liquor stores.
Oh don't worry. We are used to people being suspicious and they have a right to be what with all the Timeshare fronts and scams out there. :)
As a bar/restaurant we have a lot more to lose than the fronts do as you will be drinking the same Tequila in our bar and not have to wait till you get home to find out if it gives you the worlds worst hangover or you are fine in the Morning.
I drink only Tequila and have for some time... in my opinion, I have one of the best and and willing to stand by it.
I follow three simple rules for good Tequila:
1. Tastes good
2. No hangover
3. Cheap

Note I did not mention 100% or Agave or Blue or .... I am a firm believer that those are marketing tools. Go drink some Tequila with the locals away from the Tourist areas sometime. They will tell you a lot about what is good and what is not.

See you in March and if you mention this conversation, the first one is on me. :)

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:46 pm

Will have to attest to Foxes word. Last year he gave me a gift of a bottle to take home. However, sadly I was in PV another week and it never made it.

Very good. No, great!!!!

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Yes, Fred and I have to vote for Sr. Fox's tequila as well. We drank a bottle while we were there and brought a bottle home. Felt great all week, lol. No really, no hangover, very smooth going down. And the price is good too.

We'll be there again same time this year and are bringing along 2 more to try the tequila there. We've already told them all about the Cafe Roma tequila.

See you at the end of Jan. Fox.