Best place to buy groceries

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master
Best place to buy groceries

Post by chrisnick » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:33 pm

We are staying at Loma Del Mar for a couple of weeks. Wondering where we should pick up our groceries? Should the first trip be to the Mega store in the hotel zone? What about grocery shopping in the romantic zone?

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Rizo's on Aquiles Serdan is the "one" south of the river. There are a couple of places to buy fresh seafood just near Rizo's too. For produce and meats, you can also go to the individual markets that are fairly far east, east of Naranjo, but assuming you are staying fairly close to the beach, that is quite a walk.

You could go to Mega or Gigante or Soriana (my favorite) for a big shopping trip, and then fill in during the week at Rizo's.

Sally

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:11 am

I found Rizo's to be really understocked during the 2 weeks that we just returned from. No small bottled water, not so nice looking fruits and veggies, milk, our favorite mexican cheeses or bacon were not to be found and heaven forbid the cookie aisle has been reduced to a really small shelf. I have always counted on Rizo's for staples, but the last few times we have been in town their selections of what is in stock has been very disappointing.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:45 am

I agree with the above post. I've been there twice in the last week and I was disappointed in their stock as welll. I'll be going to Ley's in the forseeable future but I also like the markets east of Naranjo. You can buy fresh fruit and veg along with a few dry goods at one, cross the street and get your meat there.

Joyce

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:49 am

Is Ley's close by to the Loma del mar??

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:49 am

I think that the closest Ley's is in the same vicinity as Mega. If you are willing to travel by taxi, I absolutely loved the new WalMart on Francisco Villa, well stocked, great imported section and bakery.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:08 am

Ley's is close to Parque Hidalgo.

Joyce

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Bus to, cab back

Post by oneistwo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:09 am

The bigger stores seem to be in the Hotel Zone and beyond. Soriana has at least two stores now, the one that used to be Gigante and a newer one near the Harbor. We stay at Los Tules right across from the one at Plaza Caracol so we don't worry about stocking up*. But if you are stocking up, you could do what the locals do: take a bus to the store (Soriana, Walmart or Mega) and a cab back. The Zona Hoteles buses you want would have "Mega" or "Caracol" or "Walmart" helpfully written on the window. And they run every minute or two. Or a cab both ways if you haven't figured out the bus system.

*They don't carry Controy (not Cointreau), the secret ingredient in our favorite margaritas. But you can get it at a La Playa store and I think there's one close to where you're staying :-)

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Decided. We will take a bus there and cab back. Think its easier to go to one of the big stores for the first trip as I need a couple of non-grocery items...cooler for one.

Thanks! Can't wait!! Don't want to buy and umbrella!!

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Chris
Well it looks like most of this rain system is almost over so you probably won't need an umbrella but no guarantees! It's still cloudy this morning but the rain stops and starts now as opposed to pouring like it did all day yesterday, last night and the night before! It was a good day to catch up on laundry, reading etc. After today the sun will be back again.
Mega has eveything you need. Where exactly is Loma del Mar?

Joyce

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:40 pm

It is on Rudolfo Gomez straight up apparently from the San Marino on the hill right close to highway 200.

emblem
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: Best place to buy groceries

Post by emblem » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:19 pm

chrisnick wrote:We are staying at Loma Del Mar for a couple of weeks. Wondering where we should pick up our groceries? Should the first trip be to the Mega store in the hotel zone? What about grocery shopping in the romantic zone?
Thanks to give such a great informative information about Loma Del Mar location to found the shopping market and see the romantic places here I love to go I need some sort of information about which is best place to go from this to visit and enjoy my moment to be there.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:48 pm

From Loma del Mar, you have a choice but for my money I would take the bus to Pitallal (any one that does not say Sams/Walmart) an get off at Soriana on Fca Villa. It is farther than Mega or the Marina Walmart, but you will be glad you did. Take a cab home.

pvkid
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Loma del Mar & OXXO

Post by pvkid » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:39 pm

I just returned from staying 4 weeks at Loma del Mar A22 no matter where you get your groceries if you run out of something there is a new OXXO very close to the main gate of Loma del Mar. If I needed something I could run over there 24 hours a day and pick it up.
Another neat thing is the SubWay Sandwich shop that is next to OXXO has free WiFI. It was great for checking my email.

the pvkid